Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 01:34:51 PM
713351 Posts in 53056 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Whats up with horror movies now days « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Whats up with horror movies now days  (Read 6242 times)
Chadzilla
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2003, 07:13:49 PM »

Andrew Crow wrote:

> I must see Wendigo...

Yes, it is good - Artisan picked it up for a video release.

Chadzilla
Gosh, remember when the Internet was supposed to be a wonderful magical place where intelligent, articulate people shared information? Neighborhood went to hell real fast... - Anarquistador
Johnny Blister
« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2003, 07:16:27 PM »

Resident Evil promote Buffy-like whory lesbianic b***hes,and I HATE that!
Andrew Crow
« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2003, 12:04:51 AM »

Sha?
jmc
« Reply #18 on: May 18, 2003, 12:04:12 PM »

Couldn't get through WENDIGO--gave up after about 30-40 minutes.  Or maybe it just seemed that long.  

The problem with horror movies is the problem with most other movies--lack of originality and the films being viewed more as a marketing tool.  I think one of the worst things to happen was the decline of the musical score in favor of the "various artists" soundtrack you hear today.  

Still, occasionally you'll see a good film released.  I liked THE RING and WILLARD.  

Personally, I think the gore is a little weak these days.
Johnny Blister
« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2003, 12:16:20 PM »

Go watch"House Of 1000 Corpses",and THEN tell me horror is dead.
Mr_Vindictive
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

By Sword. By Pick. By Axe. Bye Bye.

« Reply #20 on: May 19, 2003, 07:55:06 AM »

Who said that horror was dead????  Horror is only in a recession.  Once in a while a great new horror film will come along (ie: Below, House of 1000 corpses, etc) but for the most part, new horror films suck.  Sure like JMC said, The Ring was good as was Williard, but there are very few new horror films that are unique.  Hell, The Ring wasn't even unique based on the fact that it was a remake of the Japanese film (Which was much better).  

We have been in a horror recession for years now.  Scream was a small breakthrough, but it caused yet another problem, with the rip offs that followed.  Maybe a zombie film would bring some energy back into the genre.  Hell, maybe Freddy Vs. Jason will kickstart the horror genre once more.....  Who knows.

A bald man named Savalas visited me last night in a dream.  I think it was a Telly vision.
jmc
« Reply #21 on: May 19, 2003, 08:32:57 PM »

I consider American horror films to have been in "recession" since the mid-Eighties.  Too many sequels and franchises--I thought the SCREAM films really just made things worse.

I thought the Ring remake was better.  The original had a few scary scenes, but the pacing was too slow to make it quite worth the ride.  I should see it again, though, since I haven't watched it in a few years.  But the remake was just more entertaining to me, even with a few missteps.  

I need to see 1000 CORPSES.  The fact that it was made by someone who is a fan might help things.  At this point I'm pretty much content to watch older films and see the occasional good new one.
Johnny Blister
« Reply #22 on: May 19, 2003, 08:38:03 PM »

Well,I DONĀ“T think horror is"in recession".
Brother Ragnarok

« Reply #23 on: May 19, 2003, 08:47:40 PM »

You've got a point there, J-Mac.  There are so damn many cool-ass old horror movies to be watched that the current market can just be ignored if there's nothing you're interested to see.  I think it's safe to say that underground horror has never been in recession.  There are always cool movies being made by someone, but like I said, it's just a matter of going out and tracking them down, which just makes them that much sweeter when you find one.

Brother R

There are only two important things in life - monsters and hot chicks.
    - Rob Zombie
Rape is just cause for murdering.
    - Strapping Young Lad
spikesangel
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #24 on: May 20, 2003, 04:59:01 AM »

speaking of The Ring (Ringu) has anyone seen Audition?
do you guys think that qualifies as horror, or more psychological thriller?

..."Tease" - JohnL
jmc
« Reply #25 on: May 20, 2003, 12:39:17 PM »

I think it's more horror--it's graphic.  I liked Audition a little better than Ringu--it didn't move any faster, but the ending just creeped me out.   It's worth seeing.
Brother Ragnarok

« Reply #26 on: May 20, 2003, 01:06:46 PM »

Ah, the famous "psychological thriller."  Here's what I have to say about that...THERE'S NO SUCH THING!  That term is only used by directors who are too pansy to admit that they're making a horror movie.

Brother R

There are only two important things in life - monsters and hot chicks.
    - Rob Zombie
Rape is just cause for murdering.
    - Strapping Young Lad
Dave: Blackeye15
« Reply #27 on: May 20, 2003, 02:16:47 PM »

I say horror is in recession. There have been a few decent and entertainging horror movies, but more crappy one than entertainging ones.

-the first rule of fat club-
TC
« Reply #28 on: May 20, 2003, 05:06:23 PM »

I could apply the ideas in this thread to action movies as well.  Action movies these days suck....Too much PG-13 crap like XXX or any of Arnold's recent vehicles like Collateral Damage or The 6th Day.  Remember in the 1980s when action movies had actual action in them?  Like any of the Chuck Norris films like Invasion USA or Missing in Action....Or the Charles Bronson movies.   Or Stallone or Arnold (when they actually made decent action movies).  Those movies didn't worry about being politically correct.  It was all about killing, explosions, and nudity for no reason.  Now, you get watered down junk.   Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm going to go watch American Ninja 2.
Pages: 1 [2]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Whats up with horror movies now days « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.