Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 10:03:10 AM
713335 Posts in 53056 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Off Topic: Firearms Query for Andrew « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Off Topic: Firearms Query for Andrew  (Read 1004 times)
Ash
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

23 Year Badmovies.org Veteran

« on: May 19, 2003, 12:41:10 AM »

Brother R. stated that he met you personally at B-fest within the last few years.

I will be going to B-fest next year with Brother R. & Co. (since we're both from Iowa & live an hour away from one another )so I hope to meet you there!

I know from him (and from some of the posts you've made) that you teach small arms training for the U.S. Marines.  Light & heavy machine guns etc...(am I right?)

Do you also train Marines in explosives or any other ordinance?

What specific areas do you train our guys on?

I was wondering what firearm in particular you think is the best in the world whether it be pistol or rifle & why you think this is so.

I'm not just referring to modern small arms.

I'm referring to ANY firearm developed within the last 100 years.

Please keep in mind that most of my limited gun knowledge was passed to me by my father and The History Channel (to which I've been addicted to for many years!)

If you want my personal opinion, and I know I'll be reviled for it, I feel that the Kalashnikov AK-47 is "the best in terms of reliability".

I can think of no other rifle that you can throw in the dirt and s**t and still fire like it does.

However, I know that the AK is succeptible to big-time muzzle climb without the proper type of suppressor.  (like most assault rifles)

Remember that's my opinion on "THE MOST RELIABLE!"  

Not "THE BEST GUN!"....Ahem!...I mean rifle.

That is definitely open to interpretation.

I hear now that the current issue M16-A2 is VERY reliable.  Unlike it's predecessor used by our guys in the early years of Vietnam designed by Eugene Stoner.

I also have a great admiration for Israeli arms such as Uzi, Galil and Jericho.   Very reliable so I'm told.

I won't try to pretend that my small arms knowledge is greater than yours.

That's why I'm asking.  (a person can't learn unless they ask right?)

A couple of other questions.

What is the exact mechanism inside that makes an assault rifle fully automatic?

I've heard that some are gas operated like the SAW and their rate of fire can be adjusted.

How is this adjustment made on the weapon and what is the lowest and highest rate of fire it it is currently capable of?

What is the box magazine capacity of the SAW?

When it comes to live rounds, what is the exact difference between millimeter and caliber?

I am currently interested in buying and selling LEGAL (semi-automatic) firearms so I figure who better to ask than you right?

Enlighten me please!

Post Edited (05-19-03 15:03)
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964

« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2003, 03:00:33 PM »

If I remember my boot camp days correctly, Andrew will shudder when he sees you referring to rifles as "guns."

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
Andrew
Administrator

I know where my towel is.

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2003, 04:39:47 AM »

At present, I train Marines with the M16A2, M9 pistol, M249 SAW light machinegun, M240G medium machinegun, and grenades.  We are a headquarters unit, so we only have one M2 .50 heavy machinegun and one Mk19 heavy machinegun (actually, the Mk19 fire 40mm grenades at up to 300 rounds per minute).  We have no M203 grenade launchers.  I miss training with those and also the good old 1911 .45 pistols (I prefer the .45 over the 9 mm).

The "best" weapon depends on you and the application.  For example:  for me, the best home defense weapon is a 12 gauge shotgun.  Katie cannot shoot a 12 gauge well, so for her it is a 20 gauge.  Likewise, you do not want to be holding a shotgun when the guy shooting at you is 400 meters away and he has a 30-06 with a scope.

My favorite weapon is the M240G medium machinegun.  It fires 7.62mm rounds and can accurately fire out to 1800 meters when mounted on a tripod, or 1000 meters using the built-in bipod.  It can be moved by the mighty left foot, right foot - making it a best friend to infantry (though it is still not light).  It is also more reliable than the old M60 and easier to disassemble/clean/clear when it does jam.  To give you an idea, one time we fired about 6000 rounds through four machineguns and had 1 jam.

The M16A2 is a good weapon.  It is light and the ammunition is light (5.56mm), plus accurate out to 550 meters at a point target.  The thing is that you have to keep it clean and free of too much dirt (sand too).  It will jam like a bastard.  On the other hand, the old M14 could probably sit in a bog for 2 weeks and not jam.  It was heavier, the ammo was heavier (7.62mm) and it kicked pretty hard.  We still use the M14s for some sniping type work.

The sear is what engages the bolt and prevents the weapon from continuing to fire.

The M249 SAW can be adjusted between 750 and 1000 rounds per minute by turning the regulator.  I recently had our armorer tell me that the newer models have a set rate of fire.  Honestly, you will never fire the weapon that fast.  It uses belt ammunition, usually from a 200 round drum, but can use M16 magazines (it jams a lot when doing so).

Caliber is an expression in inches, while millimeter is a measurement in millimeters.

The M203 has a range of about 400 meters, with an effective range of either 350 or 150 meters - depending on what you are aiming at (area or point target).  I guess you are asking about high explosive rounds.  They have a casualty radius of 5 meters.

Andrew Borntreger
Badmovies.org
Flangepart

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2003, 05:42:34 PM »

See....the man doth know his stuff.
The M240 is based on a Belgen design, by F.N., same with the M243.
Heavy is a b***h, but if that means it works when you need it....
I've gotten Band of Brothers from the Library.
Man, thats some show.......
In eph. 5, "Crossroads", Easy Co. drew down on a German company. The firepower of a bunch of guys with M1s, versis the K98 Mauser Bolt action comes through there. Like at Guadacanal, where the G.I. Co. on Bloody Ridge put out so much fire with the M1, the Japs thought the Yanks had issues Machine guns along the line!
Man, what a show....

"Aggressivlly eccentric, and proud of it!"
Ash

23 Year Badmovies.org Veteran

« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2003, 06:20:47 PM »

I definitely agree on the M1 being superior.

That "Crossroads" episode was directed by Tom Hanks I believe.

That was the one with what's his name running his ass off in the beginning and coming up on that young German soldier.  The soldier smiles at him and the guy shoots him dead.

I also believe that's the one where the German machine gun crew was firing at night for no apparent reason and the guys from EZ Co. killed them all.

Did it ever give a reason as to why those Germans were firing that gun at night?

Conrad
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2003, 06:12:16 AM »

I don't think any reason was given.  You might presume that the SS soldiers involved were either young or inexperienced or both, spooked, aware that the enemy was around and felt like making a loud noise to scare them off/make themselves feel better.

I'm  going to watch the collected DVD's this weekend and I'll check again.

Crouching Tiger - Hidden Police Speed Trap
Flangepart

« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2003, 01:05:33 PM »

In "Crossroads", it seems that second German company, was comming back from attacking the American C.P., and the MG may have been providing covering fire. That might explain why the Krauts...i heard that while watching "Combat" when i was a kid...the Krauts where not looking out for thier back door, and Easy Co. got the drop on them.

"Aggressivlly eccentric, and proud of it!"
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Off Topic: Firearms Query for Andrew « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.