Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 05:16:28 AM
714351 Posts in 53095 Topics by 7742 Members
Latest Member: KathleneKa
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  About Steven Seagal... « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: About Steven Seagal...  (Read 4089 times)
Neville
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« on: May 20, 2003, 10:42:08 AM »

I was wandering on the IMDB to find out if the latest direct-to-video Seagal movie was worth a rental (looks like it's not), when I found this personal quote on his profile:

"I am hoping that I can be known as a great writer and actor some day, rather than a sex symbol."

I had heard the man was a s**thead, but now I am starting to believe it.

Due to the horrifying nature of this film, no one will be admitted to the theatre.
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964

« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2003, 11:14:01 AM »

I think Steven Segal will end up being known as the next Cameron Mitchell.

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2003, 02:06:38 PM »

I can't decide which half of that statement is more ridiculous.

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
SkullNinja
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2003, 03:19:50 PM »

Cameron Mitchell, my ass. Joe Don "Mitchell" Baker, maybe. Heh.
spikesangel
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2003, 03:41:02 PM »

what a freak.
he lives in some kind of fantasy world.
now i have to go find out what he writes so i can see if it's worthy of putting in my bunny's cage or not.

..."Tease" - JohnL
Chris K.
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2003, 04:18:06 PM »

Cameron Mitchell, despite starring in his share of schlock, has indeed been in some saving-grace movies. He is pretty much known for starring in the great Mario Bava films SIX WOMEN FOR THE ASSASIN (1964; U.S. Title: BLOOD AND BLACK LACE) and KNIVES OF THE AVENGER (1966). And despite having a big career in schlock, Mitchell is a fairly good actor.

Placing Mitchell next to Segal is a bit of a crime. Mitchell can act well, Segal can't act at all. Segal would be better to be placed next to Sylvester Stalone instead of Mitchell.
raj

« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2003, 04:23:35 PM »

Stallone at least made fun of himself when hosting SNL.  Seagal was the biggest jerk.
TC
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2003, 04:44:53 PM »

Here's the best stories about Steven Seagal from the book "Live From New YorK, An Uncensored History of SNL."  I found them pretty insiteful into what kind of guy Seagal is (no surprise):

Tim Meadows:
The problem with Steven Seagal was that he would complain about jokes that he didn't get, so it was like - you can't explain something to somebody in German if they don't speak German.  He just wasn't funny and he was very critical of the cast and the writing staff.  He didn't realize that you can't tell somebody they're stupid on Wednesday and expect them to continue writing for you on Saturday.

David Spade:
He didn't want to go along with what the plan was that week and as a result, I think that was the first week that I heard talk about replacing the host and just doing a cast show.

Julia Sweeney:
When we pitched our ideas for Seagal at our Monday meeting, he gave us some of his own sketch ideas,  And some of his sketch ideas were so heinous, but so hilariously awful, it was like we were on Candid Camera.

He had this idea that he's a therapist and he wanted Victoria Jackon to be his patient who's just been raped.  And the therapist says, "You're going to have to come to me twice a week for like three years," because, he said, "that's how therapists f**king are.  They're just trying to get your money"  And then he says that the psychiatrist tries to have sex with her.
Chadzilla
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2003, 05:03:54 PM »

Yeah, Stallone can act, but too often he chooses 'star' vehicles (in addition to continue sequelizing his starmaking movies, Rocky and First Blood).

I don't know who to compare Seagal to, he is truly unique.  A completely unlikable one time action super star that is so stuffed with himself he resembles a Christmas Goose.  At least Chuck Norris is, from what I have read, a fairly nice guy in real life.  Seagal is notorious for being self-serving and stuck up.

Maybe he'll be remembered as being just like Jean Claude Van Damme, another former action super star that his known for his boorish behavior.  Oh, great joke in the local (Contra Costa Times) paper the other day.  There was a picture of JCVD grinning and looking suave and the caption said, "So we search for some photo of a scantily clad starlet at Cannes walking the red carpet at the film festival and what do we get?  Jean Claude Van Damme.  Who is paying this guy to still make movies?"

That being said, I like most of Seagal's stupid movies.

Chadzilla
Gosh, remember when the Internet was supposed to be a wonderful magical place where intelligent, articulate people shared information? Neighborhood went to hell real fast... - Anarquistador
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964

« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2003, 05:05:45 PM »

Chris K wrote:

"Cameron Mitchell, despite starring in his share of schlock, has indeed been in some saving-grace movies. He is pretty much known for starring in the great Mario Bava films SIX WOMEN FOR THE ASSASIN (1964; U.S. Title: BLOOD AND BLACK LACE) and KNIVES OF THE AVENGER (1966). And despite having a big career in schlock, Mitchell is a fairly good actor.

Placing Mitchell next to Segal is a bit of a crime. Mitchell can act well, Segal can't act at all. Segal would be better to be placed next to Sylvester Stalone instead of Mitchell."

I have BLOOD AND BLACK LACE on DVD and have seen Cameron Mitchell in a variety of movies. BLOOD AND BLACK LACE is a very good Mario Bava film. But it is good because of Bava, not Mitchell. Watch FRANKENSTEIN ISLAND, NIGHTMARE IN WAX or MANEATER OF HYDRA and tell me that Cameron Mitchell can act. Steven Segal will NEVER be in movies as bad as some of the ones that Cameron Mitchell made. I'm no Segal fan, but Cameron Mitchell was a grade Z actor for 90% of his career.

Post Edited (05-21-03 07:03)

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
Chadzilla
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2003, 05:08:15 PM »

TC wrote:

>  
> He had this idea that he's a therapist and he wanted Victoria
> Jackon to be his patient who's just been raped.  And the
> therapist says, "You're going to have to come to me twice a
> week for like three years," because, he said, "that's how
> therapists f**king are.  They're just trying to get your money"
>  And then he says that the psychiatrist tries to have sex with
> her.

OH...MY...GOD!

I'm glad I wasn't drinking anything when I read that, such was the power of my snort.  Put on record as to having a small amount of sympathy for the SNL crew for that fiasco.

Chadzilla
Gosh, remember when the Internet was supposed to be a wonderful magical place where intelligent, articulate people shared information? Neighborhood went to hell real fast... - Anarquistador
Flangepart

« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2003, 05:51:15 PM »

Oh, man....what a jerk!
This man is a living parody of the boneheaded action star. And the best part is, he don't get it that HE is the joke!
Robert Stack, on the other hand....in the commentary track of Airplane!, someone said that Stack was easy to work with, and when Loyde Bridges wondered about the type of gags he was doing, Stack said "Loyde...We're the joke!"
Steven Seagal: Man, or satarical punching bag?

"Aggressivlly eccentric, and proud of it!"
Chris K.
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2003, 05:59:58 PM »

Mitchell has been a Z-grade actor in low budget films for about 90% of his career I'll give you that. But look at Segal: he's been a Z-grade actor in mainstream films for about 100% of his career! That's about 10% more than Mitchell. And hey, some decent performers like Mitchell have gotten low ends of film roles, which has affected their careers and their acting to a great degree. Take a good look at John Carradine: first in John Ford's THE MAN WHO SHOT LIBERTY VALLANCE (1948), then in Al Adamson's HORROR OF THE BLOOD MONSTERS (1970). Yet Carradine was able to pull of at least a grand performance in something that was indeed quite low grade; Mitchell on the other hand has had two "good" films, and that was Mario Bava's SIX WOMEN FOR THE ASSASSIN and KNIVES OF THE AVENGER. Don't get me wrong, the two films were good due to Bava and not Mitchell. Yet, Mitchell's presence made them quite entertaining to sit through and I thought he did a good job. Mitchell may not have been a great actor, but at least he could put a nice performance when he wants to.

For the record, I have seen FRANKENSTEIN'S ISLAND, NIGHTMARE IN WAX and yes even THE TOOLBOX MURDERS and I will agree Mitchell is at his worst when it came to those films. I'm quite shocked the Blue Underground went through the trouble to find the 35mm negative of THE TOOLBOX MURDERS and release it on DVD. It should have stayed lost.

As for Segal, yeah I have heard the guy is a real jackass. That could be his Z-grade status kicking in his ego.
SkullNinja
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2003, 06:01:35 PM »

Will Sasso used to do a damned funny imitation of him on Mad TV.
JohnL

« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2003, 12:12:29 AM »

>Will Sasso used to do a damned funny imitation of him on Mad TV.

I can't watch Seagal anymore, without picturing him going on a rampage like Sasso.

I have a friend who says he met Seagal once (his father knew him) and he said the guy was a royal a***ole.
Pages: [1] 2
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  About Steven Seagal... « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.