Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 01:16:53 AM
714230 Posts in 53092 Topics by 7734 Members
Latest Member: BlackVuemmo
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Well, I took the $5 plunge « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Well, I took the $5 plunge  (Read 1631 times)
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« on: May 20, 2003, 11:18:38 AM »

I decided to order 5 DVDs from oldies.com to see how good they are. The movies are $5.95 each or 5 for $25.00.

Someone in another discussion said that he had 2 movies put out by the same company (Alpha), and that the video quality is a little scratchy, but okay overall.

My "test" selections?

1. THE KILLER SHREWS
2. THE WASP WOMAN
3. BELA LUGOSI MEETS A BROOKLYN GORILLA
4. THE BRAIN THAT WOULDN'T DIE (they advertise it as the uncut version . . . we'll see)
5. KILLERS FROM SPACE

I'll let you all know if they are worth $5 each as soon as they arrive.

Post Edited (05-20-03 11:19)

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
Scott0
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2003, 05:40:53 PM »

Each are worth their weight in granite. Good choices. Of them, I haven't seen Bela Lugosi Meets A Brooklyn Gorilla, but I've heard its reputation. The others are classy Corman, wonderful Wilder, and lesser known directors who still aim to please. Killers from Space has a rather young Peter Graves in it too!

Scottie

Kangaroo Jack #1 in the box office? Let the revolution against Hollywood begin.
jmc
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2003, 06:03:21 PM »

I love THE KILLER SHREWS.  Classic bad cinema.
The Burgomaster

« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2003, 12:20:10 PM »

I received these movies yesterday. I watched THE BRAIN THAT WOULDN'T DIE (uncut version) and THE KILLER SHREWS last night. I am very happy with the quality (especially on BRAIN . . . SHREWS is slightly better quality than a good VHS tape). At $5 each, I was expecting bad quality, but I got very watchable movies. The video transfer on BRAIN is about as good as the quality on 20 MILLION MILES TO EARTH, and I paid about $14.95 for that one.

The only thing is that there are no extras. Just the movies and individual scene access. But who cares. For $5, I plan on buying a ton more of these.

Post Edited (05-25-03 12:21)

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
The Burgomaster

« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2003, 10:33:25 AM »

Last night I watched BELA LUGOSI MEETS A BRROKLYN GORILLA. The quality was excellent. I'm pretty excited about these $5 trash favorites . . .

The Burgomaster

« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2003, 09:15:48 AM »

I finally got around to popping the final 2 movies that I bought into my DVD player. Here is my summary of all 5 movies (based on picture and sound quality). They are ranked in order from highest to lowest quality:

1. BELA LUGOSI MEETS A BROOKLYN GORILLA - sharp picture and very good sound - a bargain at $5

2. THE BRAIN THAT WOULDN'T DIE - almost as good as BELA . . .

3. THE KILLER SHREWS - quality is slightly better than a good VHS copy . . . still a bargain at $5

4. KILLERS FROM SPACE - the picture is pretty scratchy in some places, but still worth $5

5. THE WASP WOMAN - wouldn't play . . . I need to send it back and get a replacement (which they claim takes 4 to 8 weeks . . . I'm not too happy about that because it only took 4 or 5 days for them to ship me the original order!)

OVERALL - Assuming that I have no problems getting another copy of THE WASP WOMAN, I will definitely buy from oldies.com again!

Phantom 187
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2003, 05:39:53 AM »

They are celluiloid transfers unlike some underground companies who rent the tape and DVD it. I had this happen with a company making Bruce lee double features back in 99. I bought it and it was a transfer from a tape the reason I could tell was because there were tracking problems in it and not only that but the actual DVD had low grade grain and pixulation problems which was another crap factor. Another time I bought some for 3$ at a shop going out of business and some were celluiloid but like 3 were not so I sold them on ebay. If you ask me everything should be taken from the original stock if it  is around or should at least be close to it and be at most a second generation copy and not be on tape.
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Well, I took the $5 plunge « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.