Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 06:38:10 AM
713393 Posts in 53059 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Showed CONTAMINATION trailer in my college class. Result: I struck a few chords. « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Showed CONTAMINATION trailer in my college class. Result: I struck a few chords.  (Read 4188 times)
Chris K.
« on: May 22, 2003, 01:28:06 AM »

Well as most of you know, I am taking classes in Film-Video at Columbia College of Chicago. In my Development and Preproduction class, our teacher asked us to pick some clips from our favorite movies and show them in class. Well, I picked a clip from THE 'BURBS (favorite Tom Hanks comedy ever) and showed the trailer of Luigi Cozzi's CONTAMINATION (1980; U.S. Title: ALIEN CONTAMINATION).

I first showed THE 'BURBS; I actually did it as a small bet that I would bring it in and show a clip. The whole class just went in uproarious laughter. It was definately the saving grace of the entire class. Then I turned on the trailer of CONTAMINATION: let me just say that I heard some "Wow's" when the scenes of victims chests explode on-screen. Other than that, again we laughed. Hey, it was some great fun. One girl in my class, after viewing CONTAMINATION trailer, exclaimed, "Did this film really get released?"

We laughed when we talked about the exploding-chest sequences. They were the saving grace of the entire trailer. But it was just hillarious to show both THE 'BURBS and CONTAMINATION in the same setting. Just hillarious.
Brother Ragnarok
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2003, 01:44:06 AM »

I did something similar in a mass media class my senior year of high school.  We were talking about media violence and could bring in an example for a few points of extra credit.  One guy brought in Tombstone and showed the ending gunfight, talking about how amazingly violent it was.  Then I showed the massacre at the end of Day of the Dead with the evil military guys getting torn in half and spread all over the floor.  Several people ran from the room sick.  A couple of them told me after the class that I was sick and needed help because I told them I watched this stuff as entertainment on a regular basis when they asked.  One of the highlights of my high school career.
I also showed the American Werewolf in London transformation scene in a speech class last year in college as part of a speech on makeup effects.  Nearly all the comment sheets came back with some variation of "I was disturbed by your movie clip" on them.  I can't wait for my chance to show something from Cannibal Ferox or I Spit On Your Grave....

Brother R

There are only two important things in life - monsters and hot chicks.
    - Rob Zombie
Rape is just cause for murdering.
    - Strapping Young Lad
Ash
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

23 Year Badmovies.org Veteran

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2003, 03:29:03 AM »

It's unbelievable that Mr. & Mrs. John Q. Public would say that we're disturbed for liking the types of films that we do.

If Day of the Dead made them sick then they're pansies!

Like Brother R. said....let them watch Cannibal Holocaust, Cannibal Ferox or I Spit on Your Grave and then they'll really see what true gore, horror & human suffering is all about.

These people are afraid to look at the dark side of life as shown in these films.

But you know what?  

It's EXACTLY what they need.

Not every film is supposed to be fun and lighthearted.

Post Edited (05-22-03 03:29)
Chadzilla
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2003, 01:59:06 PM »

In college I wrote a paper on a horror film - one comment I got was "You should try studying a better quality of film."  Guess the social subtext of The People Under the Stairs just wasn't all it was cracked up to be. :-(

I watched Day of the Dead one Thanksgiving, and it made my wife throw out.  Oh, boy.  I don't think I ever really got her to fully accept my heart felt apology for my error in viewing judgment that day.

Still getting the Day of the Dead super disc version from Anchor Bay for my birthday, from guess who?

Chadzilla
Gosh, remember when the Internet was supposed to be a wonderful magical place where intelligent, articulate people shared information? Neighborhood went to hell real fast... - Anarquistador
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Showed CONTAMINATION trailer in my college class. Result: I struck a few chords. « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.