Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 10:44:52 AM
713409 Posts in 53060 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  HOUSE BY THE CEMETERY: Lucio Fulci strikes again, only better « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: HOUSE BY THE CEMETERY: Lucio Fulci strikes again, only better  (Read 2882 times)
Chris K.
« on: June 23, 2001, 11:38:57 PM »

I recently bought my Collector's Widescreen Edition VHS of Lucio Fulci's classic HOUSE BY THE CEMETERY (1981) from Anchor Bay. I was going to order the DVD, but both VHS and DVD have the same features. Fulci makes his mark once again. Like with ZOMBIE (1979), CITY OF THE LIVING DEAD (1980), and THE BEYOND (1981) Fulci gives us another zombie movie. Only this time it is only one zombie and his name is the dreaded Dr. Freudstein who lives in an old house by a cemetery. A family buys the house, but you know what happens? Fulci's gore trademarks are more stylish than ever and the camerawork is more than good - IT'S GREAT.

It's release in the U.S. was tampered with when the reels were placed out of order making the film very confusing. But Anchor Bay restores the film to it's original uncut format. Also for a trivia note, the U.S. theatrical and TV trailer that is offered from Anchor Bay are narrated by none other than Brother Theodore who did narration in the beginning sequence for HORROR OF THE BLOOD MONSTERS (1970; TV Title: VAMPIRE MEN OF THE LOST PLANET) and had a starring role in THE BURBS (1988) as one of the murderous neighbours next door!

Though I heard that the cheapie Diamond DVD release of HOUSE BY THE CEMETERY is also good, I would go with Anchor Bay instead.

Questions or comments anyone?
Zombie Keeper
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2001, 01:47:28 AM »

The Anchor Bay DVD is by far the best transfer to be found.

Zombie Keeper - http://www.zombiekeeper.com/
Steve.
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2001, 04:29:48 PM »

I think House By The Cemetery is Fulci's best, and Zombie Flesh Eaters (Brit title) and The Beyond not far behind. City Of The Living dead I have seen only once (years ago) and I can't remember much about it. The thing about Fulci's movies is precisely what you said, Chris - stylish SFX and gore, great camerawork and above all - entertaining. Taste? what the **** is taste? One man's (or woman's!) meat and all that.
Warren H.
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2001, 07:44:30 AM »

Hm.  I didn't like this movie.  Took me three tries to finish it.  Old, incompetent Lucio strikes again, only this time he barely had enough money for one zombie and he cast the ugliest kid he could find in the role of the annoying little bastard.  One thing about Lucio's movies, you're always glad when the people come to their horrific ends because you hate them all.
Andrew
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2001, 05:59:24 PM »

I don't know about hating all of them.  The blind woman in "The Beyond" was trying to be helpful and seemed O.K. (despite those freaky eyes).

Andrew
PoorLogic
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2001, 04:34:17 PM »

What about in "The Beyond" when McCabe keeps shooting zombies in the body and not in the head...that drove me nuts! I was yelling at the screeen!
Andrew
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2001, 06:33:15 PM »

There was another film that did an even worse job of this.  That would be City of the Walking Dead (probably the 4th film I reviewed on this site oh so long ago).

Soldiers are specifically told to shoot zombies in the head, but they never do.  It's stuff like this that gives the military a bad name.  Okay, maybe some countries' military services deserve it.

Andrew
chili
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2001, 03:05:08 PM »

what a coincidence.  I just pick this up at lunch today for $5.99 (U.S.).  It's the Diamond release though but the case says "Fully Restored and Enhanced Digital Masters".
Do you know if there is there a big difference in the quality between the two?
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  HOUSE BY THE CEMETERY: Lucio Fulci strikes again, only better « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.