Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 08:59:45 PM
714223 Posts in 53092 Topics by 7734 Members
Latest Member: BlackVuemmo
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Checks and balances « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: Checks and balances  (Read 7172 times)
Andrew
Administrator
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

I know where my towel is.

« on: May 24, 2003, 05:34:22 PM »

I just dropped Johnny Blister's ISP into the deny pool for the bbs.  He seems to like to insult people and that is definitely not why the message board is here.  To make certain that I am not going overboard, please let me know any thoughts.

Mainly it was today, when he started posting as "Johnny F**cking Blister" (I censored those, and he stopped doing it before I even got the email done).

Then he tells Scott that the only person who thinks westerns are cool is his "wheezing dad."

Next, we get this in the thread about cannibal films (people started discussing the animals killed during the filming):
"Well screw you,Greenpeace a***oles!"

I had given him some warnings, including an email telling him that flaming or trolling was not good to go.

Anyway, thoughts?

Andrew Borntreger
Badmovies.org
Ash

23 Year Badmovies.org Veteran

« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2003, 05:50:20 PM »

Thank you!
Thank you!
Thank you!

That guy always made sure to put his negative 2 cents into almost each and every thread no matter what the subject happened to be.

I thought that I was a little on the negative side 'till I read some of the stuff that guy wrote.

Wasn't he from Argentina? (not to say that people from there are bad)

I for one am glad he's gone.

He won't be missed.

Now the threads can return to normal.

Thanks again for ridding us of that ass!

By the way....what's trolling??

Post Edited (05-24-03 17:56)
Fearless Freep

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2003, 06:29:01 PM »

There are a lot of people here whom I don't always care for, but when the posts stick within the genre of bad movies, I'm okay with them.  I may disagree with their opinions, but those are their opinions and I have mine.  So I ignore the politics, etc..and read about someone's latest  b movie find

Mr Blister was an exception.  His constant nastiness within the talk of movies, especially towards other's opinions and his constant posts about his own web site were really irritating me.  It started when he was slamming Matrix Reloaded because Neo lost to a Bunny when all he was really refrring to was his own fictional website match netween Neo and Buggs Bunny.  That was pretty inane. (no, I haven't seen the movie so I don't care if someone likes it or not)

Anyway, he wasn't really adding anything of merit within his posts, and seemed to be trying to incite people. so if you think he stepped over the line, Andrew,they  I have no problems with your actions.

=======================
Going places unmapped, to do things unplanned, to people unsuspecting
Cullen
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2003, 06:40:12 PM »

No problems here, either.  I don't think Johnny Blister "got" to me like some of the others here.  I prefer the threaded view to the flat, and, as a rule, ignored his posts (the exception being to the topics I started; I make it a point to read any and all posts there, no matter how short and rude).  What I read from him seemed more aggressive posturing more than a desire to discuss things.

All the same, I feel a tad guilty badmouthing Blister now that he's gone.

Cullen - Super Genius, Novelist, and all in all Great Guy.
spikesangel
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2003, 06:42:08 PM »

i am relatively new, so i have nothing of any value to add.
but in light of other posts i have read, i'd say it was probably a good decision.

..."Tease" - JohnL
raj

« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2003, 08:29:13 PM »

You done right.  I just logged on to check the sports scores (damn, Yanks lost again), and figured I check to see if he was gone.  You're more patient that I would have been.  Disagreements are fine, as long as they get backed up by something, saying "X sucks" adds nothing.  And then to curse at & insult others, is way off the scale.

Trolling refers to someone who joins a list/bbs in order to start flame wars.  They're usually kids (not to slam kids in general) or pathetic adults who still live in the parents' basement.

Now time to pop in The Terror.
And pour another vodka martini.
And start sanding my new bokken.
JohnL

« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2003, 11:07:57 PM »

I can't say I'll miss him.
jmc
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2003, 11:48:16 PM »

I've never e-mailed Andrew about anything, but I came really close to asking him to please get rid of Mr. Blister.   It was obvious to me that the guy didn't bring anything to the board but a desire to cause trouble and waste the time of others. Hearing he is gone causes me to breathe a sigh of relief--this is really the only horror/cult movie board I spend time with any more because it's the only one that's really about movies and less about "attitude."  Now I can enjoy this place again.

However, I understand the desire to give the guy a chance--I doubt I would have been as patient, but then again, I've never ran a board before either.   Anyway, you have my support.
Andrew
Administrator

« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2003, 12:08:52 AM »

I've been told before that I give too much leeway before blocking on here.  Guess that I am doing so on the side of caution, to make sure that I am not just throwing authority around.  I am the S-6, and sometimes range OIC or RSO, all day at the unit.  I come here to discuss movies with my peers and equals.

And I am a big Freedom of Speech supporter anyway.  While that does not mean you can walk into a supermarket and start yelling "meat is murder" over and over,  (you can, but they will make you leave) the board is a little more open than completely private property.

And Mr. Blister's rudeness was more than the working up I can always see when we do have arguments on here.  Usually over politics... ...funny thing.

Andrew Borntreger
Badmovies.org
Fearless Freep

« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2003, 12:16:00 AM »

Like jmc, I was vary close to emailing Andrew my...frustration with Blister; but mostly I just didn't respond to him.

Every public meeting place has it's own personailty.  I've been on baords were someone will come in being obnoxious and realize it's not appropriate and settle down and everything's ok.  So I can understand Andrew's hesitation in taking action.  I think Andrew gave ample warning and opportunity

=======================
Going places unmapped, to do things unplanned, to people unsuspecting
Ash

23 Year Badmovies.org Veteran

« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2003, 12:23:31 AM »

I was curious......

Now that Johnny Blister is banned....what exactly will he see when he tries to come back to the board?

It's a good bet that he has already tried.

Is he banned from the entire site or just the message board?
Andrew
Administrator

« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2003, 12:27:02 AM »

He is only banned from the message board right now.  If he tries to open it he gets a "You are not authorized to view this page." message.  I am sure he knows what happened.

Andrew Borntreger
Badmovies.org
simmongray
« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2003, 01:23:20 PM »

Hi there. I think that you did the right thing. The first internet search I ever did was “Bad Movies” and I was lucky enough to end up at this wonderful site. I’ve been lurking around these boards almost daily for the past 3 years now, and I have to say that Johnny Blister’s posts were both rude and offensive. Heck, they were just plain weird. Well, that’s my 2 cents. Keep up the outstanding work!

V/R

simmongray

onionhead
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2003, 01:43:09 PM »

I wonder if Chadzilla is mourning??  I for one will not.

Some people like cupcakes better--I for one care less for them
mr. henry
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2003, 02:01:18 PM »

Andrew,

my two cents is that the site should remain relatively "objectionable"-language free. it seems like 99% of the net is already crowded with obscenity as it is. it's nice, almost refreshing even, to enjoy bad movie discussion without inane and useless swearing. yes, i do swear in "real life"...just not around people that might not appreciate it. i kinda think of the message board as a virtual classroom...last time i checked, swearing was something that got you booted from class. hey, you're the professor after all...

you deserve kudos for keeping in mind that many of the fans that visit this site are youngsters...it's not just us oldsters. sure they've seen the nudity in these movies already, but nudity isn't the selling point of these flicks so why waste space on it. i'd rather see pics of monsters.

i remember when my workplace randomly banned me from viewing badmovies.org during my freetime. (the title probably stuck in the filter software.) anyway, i was glad to get viewing priviledges back since your site didn't contain any content that fit my company's "objectionable" standards.

keep up the good work...

"to be is to do" - Socrates
"to do is to be" - Jean-Paul Sartre
"do be do be do" - Frank Sinatra
- kurt vonnegut

Pages: [1] 2 3
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Checks and balances « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: osmosis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.