Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 03:30:20 AM
714325 Posts in 53094 Topics by 7741 Members
Latest Member: SashaHilly
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Brown Bunny and the Limits of the Soul « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Brown Bunny and the Limits of the Soul  (Read 890 times)
Cullen
Bad Movie Lover

« on: May 24, 2003, 08:58:40 PM »

I've been thinking about posting on this movie for a while now - since Friday, when I read Ebert's article on it.  The movie in question, Brown Bunny[/url]  is discussed a bit into the piece, but I'll sum it up here:

A man gets in a van and drives and dives and drives and dives and drives and dives and drives and drives and drives and drives and films up his gas tank, then drives and drives and drives and drives and changes his shirt, then drives and drives and drives and drives and drives and drives and drives and drives, then gets on a motorcycle and drives and drives and...  all of this punctuated by a hard core sex act with his ex-girlfriend and a discussion on their failed relationship.

This plot summation has been brought to you courtesy of Cut and Paste® - The Lazy Writer's Friend.

The question I want to pose to all of you is not whether or not some film makers have too much time and money on their hands (that's a no-brainer) but do you have a limit?  One movie that looks or sounds so very, very bad that you not only have no desire to see it, you wish you never heard of it in the first place?  A movie that, despite enjoying some of the worst films ever made, you know will reap unforgivable harm upon your mind if you ever saw it?

Right now, Brown Bunny is at the top of my list.  I saw the title, saw the words "All Time Worst", and thought, "Maybe this'll be interesting."  Only, after reading the synopsis, I went completely Tippi Hedren.  As in The Birds.  "No.   No. NO!  "

No.  Redeeming.  Value.  At.  All.

Any who, what do you all think?

Cullen - Super Genius, Novelist, and all in all Great Guy.
Mofo Rising
Global Moderator
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

My cat can eat a whole watermelon!

« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2003, 02:41:58 PM »

My friend and I were discussing going to watch this.  Because it sounds awful.  Completely and utterly awful.  Which is something you want to see on the big screen.

Anyway, Vincent Gallo is probably best known for bad-mouthing every person he comes in contact with.  Which is not how somebody endears themself to me.

But finally!  Someone brought all the excitement of driving to the big screen.  2 FAST 2 FURIOUS?  Please.

Every dead body that is not exterminated becomes one of them. It gets up and kills. The people it kills, get up and kill.
Cullen
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2003, 02:55:44 PM »

It gets better.  The director actually apologized for his film.   Check it out .  One quick quote from the man himself: "It is a disaster and a waste of time."

This flick's so bad it may never see the light of day again.  (My thought, no one else’s.)  It'll become something of a cult classic, everyone wondering if it actually is that bad.  People will seek it out and see...

My God.  What a horrible thought...

Post Edited (05-25-03 15:05)

mr. henry
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2003, 03:36:00 PM »

actress chloe reportedly cried during the screening at cannes...

i have now put this film on my must see list...

"to be is to do" - Socrates
"to do is to be" - Jean-Paul Sartre
"do be do be do" - Frank Sinatra
- kurt vonnegut

Shark
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2003, 04:51:13 PM »

Brown Bunny was a test of limits, eh?

Well, it couldn't be any worse than The Howling III.  I threw away an hour and 45 minutes of my life and sacrificed a good portion of my sanity when I watched that movie.

Cullen
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2003, 04:58:22 PM »

Shark wrote:

> Brown Bunny was a test of limits, eh?
>
> Well, it couldn't be any worse than The Howling III.  I threw
> away an hour and 45 minutes of my life and sacrificed a good
> portion of my sanity when I watched that movie.

Somehow I doubt it, but, as I haven't seen either movie, (just read synopsises) I can't really say.
____________________-

raj

« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2003, 05:46:45 PM »

Distributed in France, eh?  Is the director an American?  That's the way to get back at the French, make them watch horrible movies.

I didn't care for Mad Max Beyond Thuderdome, it was too much "let's make a movie to cash in on Mad Max, and to ensure people will see it, we'll throw in Tina Turner (as Tina Turner)."
Ash

23 Year Badmovies.org Veteran

« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2003, 06:12:39 PM »

I've heard that there were a few French critics that actually liked it.

Here's a quote from Roger Ebert's site:

"It was booed and laughed at during its screenings, there were countless walkouts, and its inclusion as an official selection called into question the judgment, even the sanity, of the programmers. That several French critics liked it was, Gallo said, "almost like salt in the wound."

haha!

Go here to read the article in it's entirety:

http://www.suntimes.com/output/eb-feature/cst-nws-ebertside25.html

Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Brown Bunny and the Limits of the Soul « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.