Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 08:27:57 PM
714247 Posts in 53092 Topics by 7736 Members
Latest Member: ShayneGree
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Boxsets & Collector Tins...What Do You Think Of Them? « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Boxsets & Collector Tins...What Do You Think Of Them?  (Read 2940 times)
PoorLogic
« on: June 26, 2001, 04:26:53 PM »

I’ve been purchasing several DVD in the last couple of months and have run across a couple of box sets (Alien for example) and collector tins from Anchor Bay (Fulci’s The Beyond). What do you people think “Collector Sets” or “Bonus DVD”? I just bought House on DVD from Anchor Bay and it came with “House 2” as a bonus – Pretty cool, I thought. Now when I bought “The Beyond”, I really didn’t want a Tin Collector set, simply a waste of space for me. Anyone purchased a Collector Tin? Was it worth it? Just wondering…
Andrew
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2001, 06:11:41 PM »

I like the box sets for movies that are "worth it" in my opinion.  For example: I have the "Akira" box set preordered.

Andrew
Vermin Boy
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2001, 07:49:09 PM »

I've been trying for a while whether to get the tin or the regular DVD of Repo Man. Anyone have any suggestions there?

The only box sets I have are the Godzilla box (because it was dirt cheap) and the Kubrick box (which I got for my dad for Christmas), although I intend, at some point, to get the Brazil 3-disc edition.
Mofo Rising
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2001, 08:53:44 PM »

I'm all over the AKIRA and BRAZIL sets.  (Well, I would be if I had the money.)  I also think the REPO MAN set is pretty sweet.  If I was a bigger fan of that music I'd probably buy it.

Some do seem pretty ridiculous.  Why does HALOWEEN 5 have a collector tin?

Boxed sets are a different story.  Such as the ones that are based around a director or an actor.  The Stanley Kubrick set is almost worth it, but the omissions of his early work make me trepidacious.  Most of the actor ones include movies that no one in their right mind would buy if it weren't part of the set.

And why isn't the ROCKY III DVD available outside the ROCKY set?
Brock
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2001, 08:01:23 AM »

I have the "World of Sid and Marty Krofft" box set, which I would reccomend even to people who don't remember the shows from their original run on TV.  I'm still planning to get the "H.R. Pufnstuf" set, which has the entire series, but probably not for a while yet, it's bloody expensive for three tapes.
Chadzilla
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2001, 02:04:01 PM »

I have the collector's tin of The Beyond.  It has a booklet and some postcard reprints of the various posters for the movie, that's about it as far as I can tell (I'm dense as a brick though).  If you really, really love the movie it's money well spent.  If not, skip it.  Skip 'em all.

A Halloween 5 collector's tin?  That confused me.  Now Anchor Bay is doing one for Halloween 4 (!?).  New transfer as well.

I just pre-ordered the limited edition collector's tin for Maniac (1980) - that will contain a CD of the film's soundtrack as well as a few other goodies, most probably included on the mass market disc (i.e. NEW corrected transfer, new commentaries, trailers, 'deleted' scenes, etc.).

I also pre-ordered the upcoming (September or so) disc that Universal/MCA is doing for Halloween 2.  Fangoria.com says this is a special edition, but what makes it so all flaming special is yet to be seen.  Commentary?  Deleted scenes?  The Alternate Ending?  Trailers (please, please, please)?  Alternate music track?  A making of documentary that is longer than a ten minute short for the movie?  I already own the Goodtimes disc which is just the movie in widescreen so any extras will be a plus (I'm into the extras scene).

Frankly I am getting frustrated with Anchor Bay, Elite, and others releasing movies, then pulling them, then re-releasing them again in improved/collector's set and boxed set editions and such (just how many different versions of Halloween, or 1999's The Mummy, can they release?  Halloween's TV edition is getting its very own disc this year - WTF?) .  Dimension did the same thing with the From Dawn til Dusk series.  I want to see Full Tilt Boogie, but not enough to buy a brand new disc of a movie I alread own.   It gets frustrating and, quite frankly, I can only afford to buy, maybe, three or four discs a year (depending on pricing).   So I have adopted a wait and see attitude rather than simply buying new versions of the same movie over and over again.  I have heard that a NEW/IMPROVED DVD of Escape from New York (with commentary I think, but not certain) is being put together with a better transfer that is currently available - good thing I stuck with the Laserdisc I have.  I also heard the the primary reason Fulci's Zombie was yanked was due to the acquistition of a better print.  So a new edition with improved transfer is threatened.

Now fans of Jaws (myself included) are gathering a petition to get the Jaws DVD re-issued with the original two hour documentary (from the Laserdisc Collector's Edition) about the making of the movie on it (the current version is sliced to only an hour in length and, while still good, does not do the collective suffering by all those involved in making this classic justice).  I would like to say that I think the Jaws 2 disc is great (I came away with a great deal of respect and admiration for Jeannot Szwarc, who is actually quite articulate in his decisions on making the movie), but I was disappointed that the orirginal teaser trailer (which showed a blood red ocean while a narration talked about the horrors of Jaws and the upcoming all new Jaws 2) wasn't included, and the transfer, while decent, could be greatly improved.  I won't be starting a petition for that however.

Boxed sets, if you are into sequels, are a mixed blessing.  Oft times certain movies are only available in the boxed set, thus forcing the consumer to purchase the whole yabang.  You can also save a microscopic amount of money, as the boxed set shaves a little off the collective retail price (buy three get one free kinda of deal).  I would love the boxed set of The Omen movies, but I really don't want the failed television pilot Omen IV: The Awakening in my library (argh!), luckily THAT movie is the 'only in the boxed set' bonus.  The only way to get all of the current Puppet Master movies is in a boxed set, something like seven movies for eighty bucks or so, not a bad price.  Now Full Moon is releasing boxed sets of various weakly linked movies (all directed by David DeCeatou or the stories were written by Charles Band or something).  The lack of a single release of Rocky 3 is no doubt a marketing strategy to sell ALL of the movies in the series by default.  Boxed sets are way, way beyond my price range.  I really have to finish the novel I'm writing.

Later.
Gypsy1
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2001, 03:26:48 PM »

Theres a DVD boxset of ALL of tehpuppetmaster movies available for 70 dollars,.

An Akira set would be great!
Gypsy1
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2001, 03:26:51 PM »

Theres a DVD boxset of ALL of tehpuppetmaster movies available for 70 dollars,.

An Akira set would be great!
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Boxsets & Collector Tins...What Do You Think Of Them? « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: osmosis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.