Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 05:18:04 AM
714351 Posts in 53095 Topics by 7742 Members
Latest Member: KathleneKa
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  My first Stab at a Movie Review « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: My first Stab at a Movie Review  (Read 1143 times)
Evan3
Bad Movie Lover

« on: May 30, 2003, 12:21:44 AM »

Title: Boa (AKA New Alcatraz) 2000
Director: Phillip J. Roth
Tagline: 1,000 feet below the Arctic Surface, lies 100 Feet of Terror

Actors:
Dr. Robert Trenton - Dean Cain: After playing Superman on TV, his next big step was playing a self centered, paleontologist skilled in antarctic reptiles
Dr. Jessica Platt-Trenton - Elizabeth Lackey: She plays the adventerous wife and co antarctic expert of Dr. Trenton. She also has some strange looking boobs.
Yuri Brescov - Mark Sheppard: The saving grace of this whole film... He plays a Chechan rebel and the role of the sympathetic, not really a bad guy, villian
Major Larsten - Dean Biasucci: I dont know who this guy is, but he was the most entertaining charater of the movie, incinerated
The Warden - Craig Wasson: Huge Napolean complex and incinerates himself
Sgt. Quinn- Grand L. Bush: Plays the chief of guards and actually is the only character with believable emotions, he wants to leave the prison instead of fighting the snake. Too bad, he is incinerated.
The Boa Constrictor: 100 Feet of CGI fun, kept alive for thousands of years inside a rock of pure Nitrogen, but what did it eat?

Plot:
The United Nations somehow pulls together and decides to build an unescapable prison called New Alcatraz in Antarctica and house the world's worst criminals there. You also meet the Drs. Trenton who are turning down tenure at Harvard for a chance to do field work. The prison houses six criminals led by Chechan rebel Yuri Brescov and include mainly killers and one computer hacker. However, while the construction workers are drilling through the ice, after very quick character development, they unleash a prehistoric Boa (that has a spiked tail) which procedes to kill the prison guards and the two construction workers.

Enter: Major Larsen, who brings a group of his fiercest men (total military 5) and the two doctors  (who no one listens to anyays) to rescue the remaining prison guards and kill the Boa Constrictor.  He and his men come armed with MK 47s and shotguns, all the equipment you would need to kill a giant snake! Plus, the transport plane can only stay for 12 hours before freezing, then they will have to wait 30 hours for another one.

However, the biggest menace here is not the snake, but it is human stupidity. First only one person has the access to leave the prison, Major Larsen, not the wardon, not Quinn, just Larsen. Why wouldnt the guards be allowed to leave, it makes no sense. Anyways, Dr. Trenton deduces that the snake is living in the warmest part of the building and so Major Larson, his force of combatants, the Drs. and the remaining prison guards all rush down to kill the snake (who lives in a very explosive part of the prison). THe Boa takes out most of the military men one by one, sending the major into a wild fire frenzy in which he hits a gas main, and incinerates everyone but the snake. While taking pictures of the boa, Mrs. Trenton apparently is eaten, Dr. Larsen just curses and moves on. Dont shed tears for the past I always say.

Dr. Larsen convinces the warden to release the prisoners and they decide to escape right out through the snake's layer, and they split up into two groups, reasoning the snake can't be in two places at once (it can though). Yuri heads one group and finds Mrs. Larsen, who escaped through an air duct, and while protecting her, loses all of the rest of his group to the ravenous snake. Dr. Larsen and the warden heads the other group, they encounter the snake in the same room Major Larson did and this time the warden goes on a shooting spree, and hits the same gas pipe, incinerating himself, and one of the convicts. So, Yuri and Mrs. Larson make it out first, and drama (of some kind) is built when you wonder if they will come back for Dr. Larson (he is a criminal after all) Dr. Larsen also makes it out, losing his last group mate in the home stretch, once again he curses the snake and moves on quickly. He seems lost in the arctic when suddenly, there is Yuri, who can lead him back to the plane.

SO, it is all good, the plane launches and all of the heroes on board. Some more character development to make Yuri even more sypmpathetic happens here. But wit, what is this, the plane seems to be a little heavy. That is right, the Boa has lefft its comfy home to make one more struggle with our heroes.

Foavorite Line: "Can you still fly this plane"
                              "Is the snake gone??"
                              "yes"
                             "then I can fly this plane"

Things I learned:
Nitrogen keeps anything alive for thousands of years, regardless of lack of food and water

If a student hugs her professor, she probably wants him

It is very easy to leave a school sponsored dig for a military assignment, it takes only 10 seconds in fact.

Just  thinking about buying nucular weapons can get you sentenced to prison for life.

Rating: 2 slimes - not awful, but not enjoyable either, oh Annaconda, how I miss thee.

So, any comments????

"Sir, if you were my husband, I would poison your drink."

--Lady Astor to Winston Churchill

"Madam, if you were my wife, I would drink it."

--His reply
Dunners
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2003, 12:25:01 AM »

I dunno man I hated anaconda, maybe boa will be more redeeming.

save the world, kill a politician or two.
Flangepart
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2003, 10:40:17 AM »

Hummm...not bad!
Learning the lessions at the feet of the master, i'd say. Rock on, dude.

"Aggressivlly eccentric, and proud of it!"
Fearless Freep
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2003, 12:15:27 PM »

My first thought is that it's stylistically too much like Andrew's reviews.   Andrew's reviews are good, but unless you're doing a review you want Andrew to put up as a guest review, you should probably come up with your own way of formulating your ideas.  I like SciFi Films "What Works/What Doesn't Work" seperation, and Nathan's "Notable Totables" is also really cool, as some other ideas

=======================
Going places unmapped, to do things unplanned, to people unsuspecting
Evan3
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2003, 12:29:27 PM »

Thanks Feerless, this is the only board I go to, so that could be why it is so heavily Andrew influenced. I tried to make it more my own by the tagline, introducing the monster in charecters, and adding just the best line, not my favorite. I will check those other sites out though.

"Sir, if you were my husband, I would poison your drink."

--Lady Astor to Winston Churchill

"Madam, if you were my wife, I would drink it."

--His reply
Dolph Lundgren
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2003, 12:38:05 PM »

Hey Evan, great job for a first time review, and I can see why hanging around here has caused you to adapt a style similar to Andrew's.  But like Freep says, your review(s) will only get better if you add your own stylistic touches to it.  I'm hardly a movie reviewer, so take my advice for what it's worth (not much).  Keep up the good work though.

Nick
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  My first Stab at a Movie Review « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.