Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 06:02:04 PM
714321 Posts in 53092 Topics by 7741 Members
Latest Member: SashaHilly
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Yokai Monsters (spook warfare) . . . Andrew, How could you have missed this one? « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Yokai Monsters (spook warfare) . . . Andrew, How could you have missed this one?  (Read 2005 times)
Rob Phillips
« on: June 03, 2003, 02:07:25 AM »

If ever there was a movie made for MS3000 theatre, this is it.

I'm going to have to watch it again before I can explain it, but Imagine . . no I can't even go that far . . . you just have to see this movie, 2.5 slimers as a movie, but 1.5 bonus slimers for being really awful and weird (in a kinda good way).

try this link, it's goofier than it looks!

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B00008OTTK/qid=1054620318/sr=8-1/ref=sr_8_1/102-1629739-3221733?v=glance&s=dvd&n=507846

review form amazon.com:
"While storming the ruins of Babylonia, thieves unearth the ancient tomb of the wicked vampire demon Daimon. The demon flees to Japan, where he takes possession of Lord Isobe's soul and begins to feed on innocent townspeople. An astute villager suspects local patriarch Isobe has become a bloodthirsty demon and seeks help from friendly Yokai (Spirit Monsters) to uncover the truth. Will the army of Yokai be enough to help vanquish the dreaded Daimon, or will the villagers fall prey to an unspeakable fate?"

Monsters are a cross between Godzilla type costumes and the muppetts on acid, in Japanese with subtitles (when they feel like it, some places have dialog with no subtitles at all . . . gotta luv it).

Thoughts?

Rob

Cullen
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2003, 03:42:13 AM »

As I recall, this is Daiei'd (the company who made Gamera) answer to Destroy All Monsters.  Up until today, I didn't know it was released in the states.  Something to seek out!

More info cam be found here

Now, if only they'd release The Magic Serpent...

Cullen - Super Genius, Novelist, and all in all Great Guy.
mr. henry
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2003, 11:22:10 AM »

i'm intrigued...and netflix has it!!!...i just added it to my rental list...for someone like me in a small town with limited rental opportunities, netflix is a lifesaver.

thanks for the obscure recommendation...

"to be is to do" - Socrates
"to do is to be" - Jean-Paul Sartre
"do be do be do" - Frank Sinatra
- kurt vonnegut

Foywonder
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2003, 01:19:45 PM »

Keep in mind that Yokai are based on actual Japanese myths so while it may seem all weird and goofy, its probably just something getting lost in translation on a Western moviegoer. Yokai is very much something steeped in Japanese culture.
Chris K.
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2003, 02:22:48 PM »

The Yokai Monsters was a change of pace from what the company Daiei Motion Picture Co. was making, such as the Gamera films. Now, this isn't the first time Daiei has made a horror/fantasy special effects epic. Within the period of 1966, Daiei had made three films GIANT MAJIN (U.S. Titles: MAJIN/MAJIN THE MONSTER OF TERROR), THE GIANT MAJIN GROWS ANGRY (U.S. Title: RETURN OF GIANT MAJIN), and THE GREAT MAJIN'S COUNTERATTACK.

SPOOK WARFARE is actually the second in the Yokai Monster trillogy. The first was 100 MONSTERS (1968) and the third was ALONG WITH GHOSTS (1969), which would feature underrated Japanese actor Kojiro Hongo. Hongo also was in three Gamera films: GREAT MONSTER DUEL: GAMERA VS. BARUGON (U.S. Title: WAR OF THE MONSTERS), GIANT MONSTER AIR BATTLE: GAMERA VS. GYAOS (U.S. Title: RETURN OF THE GIANT MONSTERS), and GAMERA VS. THE OUTER SPACE MONSTER VIRUS (U.S. Title: DESTROY ALL PLANETS).

Funny how this was brought up because I just watched SPOOK WARFARE last night and thought it was quite good and definately a change of pace from the Gamera or Majin films. It was great that ADV Films has issued SPOOK WARFARE on DVD; 100 MONSTERS and ALONG WITH GHOSTS are going to be released on DVD by ADV Films as well. I do hope to see ADV Films also pick up the old Gamera films for DVD as well and maybe some other Japanese monster film titles.
Andrew
Administrator
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

I know where my towel is.

« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2003, 09:37:54 PM »

I do have this one, just no idea when a review might be forthcoming.

The film is interesting.  The problem is, besides a few small tries, they never try to really show the spirits using their powers.  The water imp squirting water at the vampire was a good touch.  Unfortunately, it was one of too few such bits.  For the most part, the movie put me to sleep.

Andrew Borntreger
Badmovies.org
Rob Phillips
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2003, 01:32:44 PM »

Andrew:

This movie is funnier after about three servings of adult refreshments and completly ignoring the dialog . . . we dubbed (adlib) our own script as we went along (ala What's Up Tiger Lily, wasn't a s good . . . but lots of fun!). You can beat the snake head woman wrappping around the bad guy, and having a portion of the baloon (aka her neck) begin deflating!

Rob
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Yokai Monsters (spook warfare) . . . Andrew, How could you have missed this one? « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.