Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 03:40:47 AM
713324 Posts in 53055 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  The starwars prequals « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: The starwars prequals  (Read 7565 times)
Wycked Nick
« on: June 04, 2003, 02:07:27 AM »

Over the weekend me and a couple of friends got together and watched all star wars movies.We started from episode 1 and went to 2 and so on, and came to relise just how crappy the prequals are.
Now im not a starwars nut, but do have a great love for the movies I would say im a purist and hate it when directors f**k movies up.
 The first 3 starwars movies were great.Likable interesting charectors,one of the greatest villans ever,good acting,good story and most of all you actually care about the people in the movie.
Now the prequals have none of the things I just mentioned.Greatly under used villans,(honestly do any of the villans from the prequals really stand out?Darth Maul was the only one that really stood out and he was killed in episode 1!)Bad acting(that kid from episode 1 I hope never works again) boring charectors,dumb ass story,and a dumb love story.Sure it had great special effects but what good are special effects if you can hardly watch the movie because its so bad.
I
Evan3
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2003, 11:38:45 AM »

Well, Nick
It is nice to see someone else who realized that Darth Maul (who could kick Vader's ass) was the only good thing about the prequals.

"Sir, if you were my husband, I would poison your drink."

--Lady Astor to Winston Churchill

"Madam, if you were my wife, I would drink it."

--His reply
Damien01
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2003, 12:55:44 PM »

I just wish they stop this rehashing crap... Like Darth Vader made C3-PO and later the same damn robot was sold to his son... now think about the odds of that...

I did like the old cartoon Droids and thought it could play very well as if they kept it like that... there for R2-D2 and C3-PO would run from one hot spot to another... (it sure would be better)

Also... Jar-Jar is a street punk rapper... He dresses like the act and waves his hands like the act and talks like the act... (I do think he is the best character from the story because it kept me from leaving the show... I was too intrested on seeing how bad they did this and thought what a bunch of sell outs)

Also... sorry but no way I can imagen a 12 year old holding a love intrest to an older girl (she was like 15 or 17... and then she was a queen [Elected Queen]... Yea, right... I've remember seeing Gary Comen being President in Buck Rogers... which made more sense then epsode 1) And then lets not also add that Young Darth Vader was a slave... what did he do in the shop... swept the floors... Damn if your going to make the make a slave, make him a slave... did they ever see Roots? Ten Commandments? or even Ben Her??? Those slaves worked there ass off and got whiped to work faster...

Now... I could understand that the story is at risk because they need to make a quick buck...

But this is Star Wars...

Its World War 2 with a SF makeover...

Any WW2 movie... "Midway" "The Dirty Dozen" or even "The Longest Day" tossed in space will be a kick ass movie...

But no... we a story line that was made to attract the "Home Alone Audience" and that kind of sucks...
D
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2003, 02:15:52 PM »

You know, my main problem with the prequals is that you can kind of figure out how they are going to end. Look back to the first films: Obi-Wan dies in part 4. So, now matter what kind of danger we see in the Clone wars, we know he'll be ok. Same goes for Darth-we know damn well he's going to evil and die in part 6. I think it would have been better if Lucas just ignored the timeline in the first three. I still like the films, but I fear I can no longer considered myself a fan. Jar-Jar is what did it for me. I can no longer respect Lucas for doing that.
D
Great Sage
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2003, 02:48:06 PM »

Hello everyone... I'm new to this forum and by the looks of it, it's an interesting place.

On the subject at hand, I agree with what you guys have said.  I can't stand the prequals either.  

Are we to believe that Darth Vader grew up with Credo, was in the presence of Jabba the Hut and outgrew Padme?  What's next, Han Solo as a flight instructo and Chewie as a pet?  I thought this was Star Wars, not "Rugrats All Growed Up?"

Yeah, the acting is subpar compared to the originals and the charaters don't hold much interest only.  The only marketable character (Darth Maul) was killed off.
raj
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2003, 02:50:08 PM »

I can forgive him for Jar-Jar, we all make mistakes.  I don't mind knowing how things turn out (look at any Shakespeare play), as long as the story is compelling.  What I got from episode #1 was a sense "the fans want more movies, so I'll give them some."  It just wasn't compelling enough (I didn't even go see Clones, the desire just wasn't there.)

Young Vader's descent to the Dark Side, is what I'm interested in, but then the Star Wars saga is an action-adventure genre, so there's less time to character development.

Perhaps Lucas needed to broaden the question as to why the Republic fell, show more scenes of things (politics, culture) falling apart.

Plus, I think the prequels have an impossible task-- too be better than the originals.
The originals didn't really have any expectations on them, they were an unexpected delight.  Now, with all the expectations of the originals, the prequels needed to be just that much better.
Phantom 187
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2003, 03:06:15 PM »

There is just so much one can pack into  a 2 hour flick.
SkullNinja
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2003, 03:44:31 PM »

And just to poke the crap a bit more lets hammer the Frogger vs Dracula scene in Episode 2. Watch that again and then get yourself a copy of Remo Williams: The Adventure Begins (based on the Destroyer series). Watch the conflict between Remo and Chuin. Chuin is making the minimal movements necessary to cause Remo to defeat himself, the sign of a true master. Now think how stupid it would have looked if he had started spinning around like a frog with a rocket up his ass. I would have loved to have seen Frogger . . . er, Yoda do the same.
Damien01
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2003, 04:02:46 PM »

Ok, something to think about...

Do you think your going to see Darth Vader kill all those Jedi's in part 3... Sorry, think again... 75% of the movie is going to be how and why he turns...

also, here is what bugs me the most... Baby Darth Vader did save the day at the end of epsode 1... do you think they could of reward him by freeing his mother... I mean if you were a kid and you saved the planet... and lets not also forget that the queen herself was there (so she know that his mother was a slave)

I dont think his mother costed that much?

And if they didnt... Dark Side right there (that means If I was baby Darth... I be killing everybody on part 2) [Major plot hole I tell you]

At least Solo was given a reward...
Great Sage
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2003, 04:12:44 PM »

Yeah... I thought about that too!  To think that after all that time, the Republic never even bothered to return and free Anakin's mother.  Christ, the Queen was present, not to mention Obi Wan...
raj

« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2003, 04:22:15 PM »

For that matter, why in the hell is there even slavery allowed in the Republic?  I mean, the republic is on the side of good, the Jedi are on the side of good, and yet areas under the government's control have slavery!
Fearless Freep

« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2003, 05:23:21 PM »

As far as the Republic allowing slavery, Tatoinne(sp) was not a part of the Republic.  Remember that Qui-gon could not use Republic money to fix the ship.

For the most part I like the prequals, but the more I think about them the more I realize just how stupid the Jedi Council was in dealing with Anakin.  A potentially very powerful Jedi-to-be entrusted to a just-made-it-himself Jedi trainer who does little more than parrot Jedi rhetoric without really trying to understand him.  It's no wonder Anakin ended up rebelling

=======================
Going places unmapped, to do things unplanned, to people unsuspecting
Damien01
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2003, 05:48:13 PM »

They didnt used Republic money because they didnt have enough to fix the ship, and also they didnt want anybody knowing that the queen is there.

Also... they could trade a ship or something smaller for is mother...

What was the deal?

Fix the ship and gain Young Darth Vader vs lose the ship... Odd, but after all do you think the queen could at least spare a ship to trade for his mother after all... Young Darth Vader did do it all and got nothing in return... He risked his life to get the ship fix (he didnt even know he was going to be free untill after it was all done) and then he stoped all those robots... gee... after all that and no reward (I dont think he was even under jedi training either... So this wouldnt fall under any stuped code either)

Sorry... This plot hole is too big to over look...  And its going to be one of the reasons why he's becomming the dark side...
Chadzilla
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2003, 09:10:16 PM »

I seem to remember Watto telling Qui-Gonn something along the lines of "Republic credits are no good out here."  Whether that is meant to infer that Tatoonie is not a part of the Republic or just to hint at the instability of the economy, I don't know.

As far as the prequels themselves go, I thought The Phantom Menace was all boring set-up padded with some impressive effects and an entertaining battle sequence.  Attack of the Clones is every bit as entertaining (for me) as Star Wars or Return of the Jedi, but it was the first Star Wars movie I waited until it hit video to see.  As to the movies not having the look or feel of the first three movies.  Given the time between the two, I'm not surprised.

Lucas made a telling comment on The Directors (at least I think it was an episode of the directors) where he made the admission that he had never really intended to do the first three movies.  But when he decided to climb back behind the camera he felt he faced two options.  One, go back and make more experimental movies like THX-1138 or finish up Star Wars.  He opted to finish what he had started.

Chadzilla
Gosh, remember when the Internet was supposed to be a wonderful magical place where intelligent, articulate people shared information? Neighborhood went to hell real fast... - Anarquistador
Wycked Nick
« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2003, 01:08:46 AM »

Hey I forgot some to mention some more things about these movies that I hate.
1.Do you honestly expect me to belive that Anakin Skywalker made c3po.Come on.Im mean why didn't obi wan remeber c3po or r2d2 when he saw the in episode 4.He was around them all through the f**king first 2 movies.
2.The devine birth of Anakin Skywalker.What the f**k was that about.Im mean at least they could have said his father had died or run off with a whore, but no they have to make him have a divine birth.Whats they point of it.Hes not going to be a savior, hes going to be  DARTH VADER FOR CHRIST SAKES!!!
3.Now Im very good at figureing out movies.Hell I understood what was going on in the Final Fantasy movie.But can some one explain to me what was going on in episode 1 and 2.They made no sense. I don't understand what was the point of the war in episode 1 or why all the clones were made in episode 2 or even why there was a war in that one either.What was going on.
4.Does any one else fine the age diffrence between Anakin and Amadala a little striking.How old is he supposed to be in episode 2 like 14 or 15(yet he looks nothing like those ages,great casting Lucas.Dumb ass)and how old was Amadala 18 or 19.Whats going on with these freaking ages.
Pages: [1] 2
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  The starwars prequals « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.