Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 10:43:43 AM
713337 Posts in 53056 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  The starwars prequals « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: The starwars prequals  (Read 7568 times)
Chadzilla
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2003, 02:30:04 AM »

The wars were calculated manuevers by Palpatine/Darth Sidious to give him leverage to create an armed force with which he may later sieze power, thus creating The Empire.  The clones were created to supply a ready made army to fight the insurrection that Palpatine himself is leading, all so he may declare himself Emperor.  Watching Palpatine cold bloodedly con everybody into breaking down the Republic makes it watchable for me.  I still love one line from The Phantom Menace, when Palpatine knows he has the Chancellor licked and can take his seat..."Now they will elect a new Chancellor, a strong Chancellor."  It just worked for me.

Still, The Phantom Menace was, maybe, thirty minutes of story stretched over two hours.  The 'devine' nature of Skywalker's birth was a lame attempt to make the story mythic.  Well, Darth ain't rising from the dead or anything, so what was the point?  Proof that The Force worked on a cellular level?  Great, Wireless Jedi.  Whoopee.  Annakin making the droid is also stupid.  Frankly I think the story would have worked better without the droids.  There are other logic problems that just further show why Lucas needs to hire better writers to tell his stories.

Lucas warned that Episode III will be the darkest of the bunch and probably do the most poorly at the box office because of that.  Frankly I think there are other reasons for it to do poorly as well.

Chadzilla
Gosh, remember when the Internet was supposed to be a wonderful magical place where intelligent, articulate people shared information? Neighborhood went to hell real fast... - Anarquistador
Grumpy Guy
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2003, 03:09:02 AM »

You know, hte thing that bothers me the most about Episode One is that apparently the entire populaion of non-gungans on Naboo are content to let their government be controlled by a FOURTEEN YEAR OLD.  Now, I've met some pretty exceptional kids in my day, but there's just no friggin way...  As long as we're on the subject, who ever heard of an elected queen?

To answer the age question earlier, Anakin was 9 in the first one, and 19 in the second.  Amidalla was 14 in the first and 24 in the second.

Finally, IMHO the movies sucked because Lucas wrote them himself.  Check the writing credits on Empire and Jedi (both better than A new Hope, again, IMHO).  You'll find that - ta-da - George let someone else write them.  He should have done the same here.  Maybe then we wouldn't have Anakin Christ (with his turning away from the Dark Side at the end of Jedi equating to the ressurection), and Jar-Jar Iscariot (who suggested the granting of special powers to Palpatine, thereby bringing about the fall of the republic).

But, hey, that's just me.

On a side note, how in the hell do you think of Darth Maul as being an even interesting character?  He says, quite literally, FIVE WORDS in the entire movie.  His only real strengths?  He looked cool, and...  ummm...  Sorry.  Just one strength.  He looked cool.  I was rather glad he died.  I was hoping he'd be replaced by a villan who was more than an empty fighting machine, more remenicent of Darth Vader.

--"I doubt if a single individual could be found from the whole of mankind free from some form of insanity.  The only difference is one of degree."
--Desiderius Erasmus
Damien01
« Reply #17 on: June 05, 2003, 01:08:55 PM »

You know, hte thing that bothers me the most about Episode One is that apparently the entire populaion of non-gungans on Naboo are content to let their government be controlled by a FOURTEEN YEAR OLD. Now, I've met some pretty exceptional kids in my day, but there's just no friggin way... As long as we're on the subject, who ever heard of an elected queen?

As I said before... Gary Coman was president in Buck Rogers and it made more sense from that show then it makes in Star Wars...

It would be funny that the people on Naboo are like Mork (from Mork and Mindy) maybe they age backwards... then this whole age thing would make some sense that a 9 year old could be some old dude.

I do think Lucas is trying to please eveybody in this movie... and the fact is you cannot please eveybody...

He says that part 3 would be very dark... yea, right, and they will bring Chewiee back? (sure I know the story that he is like 200 plus when he was with Solo... and I cannot believe... But Solo should also be in this movie too... because Luke Skywalker was like 17 or 19 in New Hope and Solo was like 25 or 27 and then Old Ben was like in his late 60's or early 80's...

What p**ses me off the most, is that there are lots of "Star War books" that were written far better then this crap...
Fearless Freep
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #18 on: June 05, 2003, 02:13:57 PM »

I seem to remember Watto telling Qui-Gonn something along the lines of "Republic credits are no good out here." Whether that is meant to infer that Tatoonie is not a part of the Republic or just to hint at the instability of the economy, I don't know.

He said that and "I need something more real"

Also, at the dinner scene, Amadela, especally, and the others were talking about slavery on Tatoine contrasted with no slavery in the Republic.

More tellingly, Qui-gon told Anakin's mother that if Anakin has been born on a Republic world, he would've been identified as a potential Jedi much younger

=======================
Going places unmapped, to do things unplanned, to people unsuspecting
Great Sage
« Reply #19 on: June 05, 2003, 02:17:44 PM »

I'm willing to bet they bring Han Solo into the third installment...  He'll be a kid trying to get into the academy or something.  Then they'll have Anakin kill off a tribe of Wookies and leave an orphaned Chewbacca destined for vengeance... Something stupid like that.
Fearless Freep

« Reply #20 on: June 05, 2003, 02:23:29 PM »

You know, the thing that bothers me the most about Episode One is that apparently the entire populaion of non-gungans on Naboo are content to let their government be controlled by a FOURTEEN YEAR OLD

It's happened before in history, usually there's a regent to guide the monarch until the monarch is older.

As long as we're on the subject, who ever heard of an elected queen?

Britain has a constitutional monarchy with an elected parliment and a prime minister.  *Shrug*, who's to say some group of people wouldn't decide on an elected monarch?

To quote another message board:

'I'm actually puzzled by the number of folks out there who have a problem with the elected queen thing. I find it odd that people could accept a setting which involves things like lightsabers, mystical energy fields, and hyperspace travel, but then get all bent out of shape when that setting involves an elected queen. It's like "you know, I'd buy the Wookies and the giant gangster slugs, but this elected queen business is just too tough to swallow." Bizarre'

For some historical information:

Sweden elected a kibng, King Gustav I, in 1523.
Norway elected a Dnish prince to be King in 1905

=======================
raj

« Reply #21 on: June 05, 2003, 02:34:46 PM »

Thanks, I must have missed that part.  D'oh

Fearless Freep wrote:

> As far as the Republic allowing slavery, Tatoinne(sp) was not a
> part of the Republic.  Remember that Qui-gon could not use
> Republic money to fix the ship.
raj

« Reply #22 on: June 05, 2003, 02:36:56 PM »

Can they have an evil Anakin kill off some Ewoks?  Please?
Ash

23 Year Badmovies.org Veteran

« Reply #23 on: June 05, 2003, 06:45:00 PM »

I was always under the impression that Palpatine and Sidious were 2 completely different characters...just played by the same actor.

All of my other friends however say that Palpatine IS Darth Sidious.

I've always disagreed with that.

Does he run into his bathroom and quickly throw some black robes on and paint his face a milky white?

And besides....In Episode 1 it showed Sidious and Darth Maul walking together on that highrise in that huge city talking about how they were at last going to reveal themselves to the Jedi.

If Sidious IS Palpatine then how can he be messing around in the Senate helping Queen Amidala AND on another planet scheming with Darth Maul?

What is the truth?
Fearless Freep

« Reply #24 on: June 05, 2003, 06:59:18 PM »

What is the truth?

Palpatine is Sidious.  In some documentation prior to Eps. I, around Return Of The Jedi, he's referred to as "Emperor Palpatine"

=======================
Chadzilla
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #25 on: June 05, 2003, 07:34:54 PM »

ASHTHECAT wrote:

> And besides....In Episode 1 it showed Sidious and Darth Maul
> walking together on that highrise in that huge city talking
> about how they were at last going to reveal themselves to the
> Jedi.
>
> If Sidious IS Palpatine then how can he be messing around in
> the Senate helping Queen Amidala AND on another planet scheming
> with Darth Maul?
>
> What is the truth?

Sidious and Palpatine are one in the same, all this insurrection stuff is simply his gambit to seize power.  Also, the huge city you're talking about IS the Republic Captial Planet of Coruscant, which is where Amidala met Palpatine for counsel and where the Senate convenes.  Palpatine sent Darth Maul off to do the dirty work and never went off to 'another planet' himself.  Palpatine was probably just stepping out onto his balconey to dicuss matters.  Heck, even the EU novels mention the moment that 'Senator' Palpatine (these being written prior to Episode 1 when it is revealed he was, in fact, Chancellor) declared himself Emperor.  Undoubtedly there will be a big unmasking moment in Episode III (probably one the moments that makes Annakin go over to the dark side of the force) when his plan comes to fruition and both the Jedi and the Republic it defends falls into his hands and he molds the Empire from its debris.

Dang, the stuff I know...and I'm not that big a fan of the series to begin with.

Post Edited (06-05-03 19:39)

Chadzilla
Gosh, remember when the Internet was supposed to be a wonderful magical place where intelligent, articulate people shared information? Neighborhood went to hell real fast... - Anarquistador
jmc
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #26 on: June 06, 2003, 12:07:49 AM »

I've disliked both of the prequels, but I have to temper that by saying that I saw the re-release of the first film in 1997 and realized it just wasn't my thing anymore.  So the prequels could have been great and it probably wouldn't have floated my boat.  

I don't know why I even bothered to see ATTACK OF THE CLONES.  I wanna say that I won't see the last one, but hmmm, it might be nice to have one with a dark ending a la EMPIRE, but I doubt Lucas will have the guts to do it, or the capability to handle any kind of serious emotion in his characters.  I read that book EASY RIDERS, RAGING BULLS about the 70s filmmakers and even way back then, Lucas was uncomfortable with the human side of filmmaking.
Chadzilla
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #27 on: June 06, 2003, 12:37:47 AM »

jmc wrote:

> I read that
> book EASY RIDERS, RAGING BULLS about the 70s filmmakers and
> even way back then, Lucas was uncomfortable with the human side
> of filmmaking.

One thing that came through loud and clear in A&E's Lucas Biography and Encore's The Directors.  Lucas is a gifted producer, able to spot talent and create a vision.  But you can just forget his skills as a writer or director.  He really needs to have other screenwriters and directors on board to better flesh out his vision.

That said, I enjoyed the prequels as brainless popcorn movies.  Palpatine makes it worth sitting though.

Post Edited (06-06-03 14:56)

Chadzilla
Pages: 1 [2]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  The starwars prequals « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.