Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 05:16:17 AM
713389 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  What the heck is wrong with asian people???? « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: What the heck is wrong with asian people????  (Read 4477 times)
Great Sage
« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2003, 12:16:54 PM »

WTF are you talking about...  I'm talking about the movie-making process...  In the East, movies are made in half the time it takes to make a movie here.  Directors are constantly under the gun to produce films on a monthly basis...  Take a class in Eastern Cinematography...
Grumpy Guy
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2003, 12:27:55 PM »

Great Sage wrote:

> WTF are you talking about...  I'm talking about the
> movie-making process...  In the East, movies are made in half
> the time it takes to make a movie here.  Directors are
> constantly under the gun to produce films on a monthly basis...
>  Take a class in Eastern Cinematography...

You know, being under pressure does not mean bad movie making.  Targets was shot in a few days with a shoestring budget, and it is one of Boris Karloff's best movies, with excellent characterization, good pacing, and an excellent sense of suspence.

Besides, I'm talking about practical movie watching.  The real world teaches more than the class room.  

To site another example, Ringu had much better and more characterization than The Ring.

And please calm down, I didn't mean to offend.  I might have done so, but it was not my intent.

--"I doubt if a single individual could be found from the whole of mankind free from some form of insanity.  The only difference is one of degree."
--Desiderius Erasmus
Brother Ragnarok
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #17 on: June 11, 2003, 12:27:33 AM »

I saw Another Heaven just a few nights ago and that damn movie is WAAAAY too long.  Don't get me wrong, it's a great idea.  I've had a rash of movies lately that have great ideas with crap execution.  The body-hopping "Hidden"-style killer is really cool, the dissolving brain thing is really cool, but good lord that thing just would not end.
I saw Despiser the same night.  Good idea, needed a bigger budget.  All that horrible video game CGI.  Woof.

Brother R

There are only two important things in life - monsters and hot chicks.
    - Rob Zombie
Rape is just cause for murdering.
    - Strapping Young Lad
Great Sage
« Reply #18 on: June 11, 2003, 11:03:29 AM »

Grumpy Guy wrote:
> You know, being under pressure does not mean bad movie making.
> Targets was shot in a few days with a shoestring budget, and it
> is one of Boris Karloff's best movies, with excellent
> characterization, good pacing, and an excellent sense of
> suspence.

Yes, that's true in some instances, but what you also get are movies could have been so much better with time.  A lot of Eastern Directors are making movies that are not of their choice... Take Ang Lee, or Even Jackie Chan who directs most of his new movies.  Their Chinese movies started out with little, or no plot lines in China.  People met and they fought...  Now, with connections to the United States, both, Ang Lee more so, appreciate the quality that comes with proper time and story telling..

>
> Besides, I'm talking about practical movie watching.  The real
> world teaches more than the class room.  

Yes, that's true... But the classroom provides a foundation from with the real world revolves.
>
> To site another example, Ringu had much better and more
> characterization than The Ring.

The Ring was made for a quick buck, nothing more.  It's not an original story and therefore lacks the integrity.

>
> And please calm down, I didn't mean to offend.  I might have
> done so, but it was not my intent.

No harm done here... You always have constructive responses and I respect that...
>
>
Rob Phillips
« Reply #19 on: June 11, 2003, 11:32:09 AM »

Come on, I don't see any intent to to "dis" anyone in title of thread.

My wife is asian and my 19 month son is half, my wife agrees that most asian films are inferior to most western ones, with exceptions (Eat Drink, Man Woman [her choice] 7 Samurai and Black Rain [my choice]). By the way Andrew congrats on the kid, nothing personal but I think mine's better, personal opinion of course!  :-)

If ever there was a forum where we shouldn't be overly PC, I would think this is it. How's this for a rule of thumb? Anyone intentionally and obviously being an Ass, smoke em, otherwise give them the benefit of the doubt!

Wadda ya think? Andrew?

By the way I though Rickey was great camp; can you actually have a B matial arts movie? Isnt that a double entrande?

Rob
Great Sage
« Reply #20 on: June 11, 2003, 11:36:42 AM »

True to that Rob... I have a few Asian friends who totally agree with the insane nature of Asian films...  They're pretty cool about most things.
Evan3
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #21 on: June 11, 2003, 01:59:47 PM »

Great Sage wrote:
> >
> > To site another example, Ringu had much better and more
> > characterization than The Ring.
>
> The Ring was made for a quick buck, nothing more.  It's not an
> original story and therefore lacks the integrity.
>
> >

Oh come on, who the heck are you trying to fool. How can you say the Ring has no integrity. First it sdoesnt drag as much as Ringu does and secondly has an almost completely different style than Ringu.

Also, just because you and one other find The Ring inferior does not make it so, about a month ago we had a post on this board and I believe it was split 50/50 on who liked which.

Also, The Ring has integrity. Most crap out there now IS out to make a few bucks, but The Ring reverted to classic methods of film making. It didnt rely on jumping scares, left most of the things up to imagination, had good CGI and was interesting. It also mixed in subliminal hints and such in the fashion of the Exorcist.

In addition, The Ring, unlike most American movies is not afraid to give credit where it is due. The same movie studio put Ringu on DVD and even packaged it with the Ring so that people could have both experiences. It gives its predecessor due, unlike most movies such as House of 1,000 Corpses and Urban Legends and stuff.  

If you are looking for a bad movie with no integrity I think you should rent Darkness Falls, what a piece of crap with no shame,

"Sir, if you were my husband, I would poison your drink."

--Lady Astor to Winston Churchill

"Madam, if you were my wife, I would drink it."

--His reply
Cullen
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #22 on: June 11, 2003, 07:11:09 PM »

The Ring was made for a quick buck, nothing more. It's not an original story and therefore lacks the integrity.

Robert Heinlein, writer of The Puppetmasters and Starship Troopers  once stated that there are only three stories: Boy Meets Girl, the Little Taylor, and The Man Who Learns Better.*  While this is a little too simplistic for my taste, what he says is essesially true.

There are no original stories any more.  Original ways of handling them, maybe, but no new stories.

Cullen - Super Genius, Novelist, and all in all Great Guy.
Andrew
Administrator
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

I know where my towel is.

« Reply #23 on: June 11, 2003, 10:47:53 PM »

> If ever there was a forum where we shouldn't be overly PC, I
> would think this is it. How's this for a rule of thumb? Anyone
> intentionally and obviously being an Ass, smoke em, otherwise
> give them the benefit of the doubt!
>
> Wadda ya think? Andrew?

I was watching the thread, but did not step in because nobody was getting out of hand.  I think that the issue just came up over some confusion about the intent or background of the posting.  Once that got cleared up, everyone seemed happy.

Really, for all the traffic, we have so very few arguments.

It is also true that many martial arts movies are perfect for a b-movie night.  Especially the older ones, with all the bad dubbing and (often due to editing) disjointed stories.  Still, look at something like "The Crippled Masters" and you just know that it is gold on tape.

Andrew Borntreger
Badmovies.org
Grumpy Guy
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #24 on: June 12, 2003, 10:17:06 AM »

Many apologies.  I don't mean to be the one that wouldn't let a thread die, but I just read this, and I can't leave it alone...

Great Sage wrote:

> Yes, that's true... But the classroom provides a foundation
> from with the real world revolves.

The Classroom is, in theory, anyway, founded on the real world.  Without the world of practical application, the classroom would be irrelevent.

I believe in the power of a college education, but anyone who has been in the Army will tell you that a Seargent (all real-world experience) knows more than a Lieutenant (all classroom, not experience).

Both are important.  Neither outranks the other, so to speak.

--"I doubt if a single individual could be found from the whole of mankind free from some form of insanity.  The only difference is one of degree."
--Desiderius Erasmus
BoyScoutKevin
« Reply #25 on: June 15, 2003, 01:43:40 PM »

Yes, in regards to all three films.

Pages: 1 [2]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  What the heck is wrong with asian people???? « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.