Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 08:24:23 PM
714223 Posts in 53092 Topics by 7734 Members
Latest Member: BlackVuemmo
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  famous people that bomb in films... « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: famous people that bomb in films...  (Read 5182 times)
mark
« on: June 29, 2001, 12:56:20 AM »

i thought it'd be interesting to discuss this:

famous people that you'd think would be successful in films but ARE NOT.
like bill cosby...funny standup...successful tv star...but made forgettable movies like ghost dad and leonard pt. 6.

to a lesser degree, people like shelley long and that NYPD guy...(but you wouldn't really expect these examples to be big movie stars...)

who is another really successful person that tried and bombed.

andrew dice clay comes to mind too...

-mark
Mofo Rising
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2001, 01:12:47 AM »

I don't know about expecting her to be good, but Madonna is been in bomb after bomb after bomb.  The only success she's seen is in movie where she's only a supporting actor, such as DICK TRACY or A LEAGUE OF THEIR OWN.

I shudder to think what a Jerry Seinfeld movie would be like.
Abby
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2001, 01:16:07 AM »

I just went on a rant on my message board about the acting resume of pop-punk star Adam Ant. He's actually not a bad actor, but his name in any film's credits is a mark of doom.

His name (dis)graces films like "Nomads," "Slamdance," Spellcaster" and a dozen other completely forgettable B-flicks.
mark
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2001, 01:40:30 AM »

madonna...

that's a good one for what i was trying to get at...people that don't really leave what they are successful at but try acting.

and adam ant makes me think of mick jagger's attempts...but i haven't seen much of those to comment (i can only imagine the full horror).

(i just got an old movie called "lisztomania" starring roger daltry...and guest starring ringo star...haven't watched it but looks like one of those ill-conceived drug induced musical projects of the 60s/70s.)

-mark
Squishy
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2001, 04:52:28 AM »

Ringo actually gave one of the BETTER performances in "Caveman," but up against Shelley Long, wife Barbara Bach, Avery Schrieber, and assorted other broke suckas, it ain't no big thing.

You MUST watch "Lisztomania," BUT it is NOT a family film. Or a "good" film. Your description is pretty spot-on. By Ken Russell,  the director of "Tommy (same year)," "Gothic," "Altered States," "Lair of the White Worm," "Crimes of Passion," and "Whore." Need one say more?
Gerry
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2001, 10:39:03 AM »

At the risk of enraging the masses, David Bowie hasn't exacly had a stellar career either. (Definitely better than Mick Jagger's though.)

I thought THE MAN WHO FELL TO EARTH was boring (I know some of you out there love this one).

LABYRINTH was kind of an extended music video with muppets.  

Others?
Chadzilla
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2001, 01:33:57 PM »

two words - The Hunger
peter johnson
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2001, 06:43:25 PM »

Mick Jagger was good for his role in both "Ned Kelly" and "Performance".  He was also quite good in Shelly DuVall's kid-vid series "The Emperor & The Nightingale".
Ringo is a good funny actor in just about everything he's done.
See "The Magic Christian" -- very odd film, very good Ringo.
Gee, Chadzilla, you didn't like The Hunger, huh?  I saw it several times on the big screen -- Don't know why I enjoyed it so much.  'Can't watch it on home video if the wife's home, as vampire stuff creeps her out way too much unless it's Chris.
I thought it was really scary when Bowie has to munch the little kid next door because he can't control himself any longer.  Also, I dug the idea of all of Catherine Deneuvre's "husbands" coming back from their mummified states to chomp her up a bit.  Pretty colors.  I guess my discernment was way down that year . . .
Steve.
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2001, 09:22:41 AM »

Four words about Mr. Bowie - Merry Christmas Mister Lawrence.
Cloudio
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2001, 11:07:29 AM »

How about Heather Locklear...Swamp Thing 2 is all I must say.
Andrew
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2001, 02:23:36 PM »

Alice Cooper in "Monster Dog" (and "Sextette" too - bit part).

Dorothy Stratton was "Galaxina."  Of course her claim to fame was getting naked and having pictures taken.

Oh, I get to say Hulk Hogan (pick a film, any film). And along that vein the Governor of Minnesota.  I'm not certain if "Predator" makes up for "Abraxas" or not.

Andrew
Cloudio
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2001, 04:24:55 PM »

Speaking of Wrestlers in bad films...
Roddy Piper weighs in with "They Live", and a few other terrible films.

Also, we can't forget the singer MeatLoaf....Spice World and Black Dog are a few of his fine works!
mark
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2001, 05:48:28 PM »

...yeah...but then meatloaf played that guy with man-breasts in fight club...so he's on a winning streak now...
N. E. Moe
« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2001, 09:28:45 PM »

OOOOO....OOOOOOOOO... I have one: Sly Stallone.  Oh he's good in action films (except maybe Judge Dredd), but not in comedy. Need I remind you people of "Oscar" and "Stop!  Or My Mom Will Shoot!"? (OOOOOOOOH the pain)
N. E. Moe
« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2001, 09:32:07 PM »

And I got one more:  Arnold Swartzenegger in Batman and Robin.  "Everybody chill" 'Nuff said
Pages: [1] 2
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  famous people that bomb in films... « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.