Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 06:29:34 PM
714244 Posts in 53092 Topics by 7736 Members
Latest Member: ShayneGree
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  25th Hour « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: 25th Hour  (Read 1081 times)
Mr_Vindictive
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

By Sword. By Pick. By Axe. Bye Bye.

« on: June 09, 2003, 03:07:12 PM »

Just saw a post on here bashing Spike Lee and I had to throw in this movie, just because I think the guy is great.

25th Hour focuses on Monty Brogan (Edward Norton), a drug pusher who has one day left before he has to go to prision for seven years.  He decides to take the day to patch things up with family and schoolhood friends, while also trying to find out who ratted on him.

Ok, I'm going to show my lack of culture in 3, 2, 1: I had never seen a Spike Lee film before this.

Whew, I feel better.  The first step is admission.

That having been said, this film was quite the surprise.  I rented it mainly because it has one of my all time favorite actors, Mr. Norton, and because my wife wanted to rent it due to the fact that she has the hots for him.....

Spike takes nearly two and a half hours and turns it into one of the most amazing pieces of film to ever grace my eyes.  The story is set in post 9-11 New York, and a few scenes even focus around this, especially the scene with Barry Pepper, and Phillip Seymour Hoffman (I love that guy!) conversing while looking onto the remains of Ground Zero.

Not only does Norton have a massive problem, so does one of his boyhood buds (Hoffman).  Hoffman is a teacher at a school in New York.  He has a massive crush on one of his students, the always hot Anna Paquin.  They have some fantastic scenes together, much worth the price to rent.

This film is gritty and extremely talky.  Don't expect an action extravaganza.  This flick is smart, desolate, and near perfect.  Don't watch this film if you don't like open ended flicks.

Side Note: On the subject of the "Man, I'm So Sensitive Post", add this one to the list.  Wasn't bawling at the end, but there was a pretty steady stream.

Rating: 9/10-Great if you like quirky gritty films with a lot of heart.

A bald man named Savalas visited me last night in a dream.  I think it was a Telly vision.
Evan3
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2003, 03:54:06 PM »

Hey Skaboi,

It is nice to see someone else who likes Anna Paquin, she just has these really odd good looks.

I too had never sen a Spike Lee "joint" (he doesnt make films apparently) but rented it only to see my favorite actor Edward Norton in action.

While certainly not my favorite movie, I thought the acting was top notch and some of the scenes (where Norton blows up and says f**k you to all of NY, then ending by saying f**k you to himself) were well done.

The Anna Paquin/Phillip Hoffman thing was enjoyable, but what do you think the repurcussions of that night will be. I gott the impression that Paquin will stay in some sort of contact with Hoffman and they will get married.

I would give it a 6 or 7 out of 10,above aveage, but not one of Nortons best films.

"Sir, if you were my husband, I would poison your drink."

--Lady Astor to Winston Churchill

"Madam, if you were my wife, I would drink it."

--His reply
JohnL
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2003, 08:00:11 PM »

>It is nice to see someone else who likes Anna Paquin, she just has these really
>odd good looks.

I like her too. Check out Hurly Burly.
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  25th Hour « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.