Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 06:32:43 PM
714349 Posts in 53094 Topics by 7741 Members
Latest Member: SashaHilly
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Which Bad Movie would you remake? « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: Which Bad Movie would you remake?  (Read 9885 times)
Chadzilla
« on: June 29, 2001, 06:56:18 PM »

Personally I would love to do The Car all over again.  I'd amp up the supernatural aspects the way Shyrack and Butler did in their novelization of their script and make The Car look more like an evil force pretending to be a car (CGI would work good in that department).  Of course those Joe R. Lansdale fans out there would be saying I ripped off ideas from his book Batman: Captured by the Engines, and they would be right.  Hey it's my fantasy, let me have it!

Of course I'd get Jerry Goldsmith to do the score.  The man rocks!

Now what would you do?
peter johnson
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2001, 07:02:44 PM »

Plan 9 -- no doubt.
In one of the DC comics series for adults -- Dark Horse(?) --
some of their artists did a comic version of the film straight, as if it were actually good & serious -- and, by damn, it worked very well.
David Lynch to direct.
Chadzilla
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2001, 07:18:46 PM »

D.C.'s 'adult' line is Vertigo, a serious retelling of Plan 9 seems right up their alley.  I think the bones of Wood's story are actually quite good (all the paranoia, distrust of the military - sorry Andrew -, pessimism - keep building bigger and better bombs and you'll end it all, shades of Rocket from Manhattan there - and, of course, the zombies).  I think you could make a hip, scary, and funny (if you DID NOT PLAY IT FOR LAUGHS) movie.  Think War of the Worlds meets Day of the Dead.  Mmmmm.
Mofo Rising
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2001, 09:52:31 PM »

I think peter johnson was referring to an old independent comic from the eighties entitled "Plan 9 From Outer Space" in which it was posited that the actor who was hired to imitate Bela Lugosi was insanely angry that he was robbed of the fame(!) that he would have gotten if credited.  I think it was released when Eternity was still a valid publisher.  They also did "The Trouble With Girls" another low-key adult humor comic.
peter johnson
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2001, 01:46:24 AM »

Well, I'm not enough of a referance source to defer to, ever, but I do recall that there was no subtext at all in the version I recall.  Damn, I wish I saved it.
No, this comic was simply a straight retelling of the film itself, only as if there was no "camp" or humour involved, intentional or otherwise.
Oh, swearword!  This only goes to show that you simpy need to save everything ever printed in order to make a point of things remembered. . .
Squishy
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2001, 03:54:53 AM »

Back when I was coming up with ideas for spoof movie trailers in college--a project that never got off the ground ("Night of the Living Bread," "The Muppet Murders," the "Jaws/Grizzly" ripoff "Groundhog Day," "Crappin' 2: Electric DooDooDoo," and "George Orwell and Arthur Hailey's Airport 1984," just to name the better ones)--one turned out to be a little prophetic; Francis Ford Coppola had just released a restored version of "Napoleon," so I came up with his next grand project: "Francis Ford Coppola's Plan IX From Outerspace."

Instead of creating an artsy remake of a B-movie, however, FFC would later tack his name onto B-grade remakes of horror classics.

Anyway, I would've loved, at one point, seeing a version of "The Swarm" that kept close to the original novel, and didn't suck. Transplant the Jerry Goldsmith score, of course.

No Smint, no smut.
Ringneck
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2001, 11:32:17 AM »

I think that a remake of the Audie Murphy bio "To Hell and Back" could work if done right.  Even though Audie was in the origional, his book is far darker than the movie and he is a far more complex character than they let him be.  The movie came off like "Opie goes to war" or something.   Also the story line only remotley followed what actually happened to him.

With modern FX(remember the explosions superimposed over the tanks), better costuming(especially for the Krauts), and a decent budget for good actors it would be possible to pull it off.  I thin kand ideal Auddie Murphy would have been Gary Sinise about the time he was doing "Of Mice and Men".  Current actor wise(Gary is still young, but he aint going to pull of a 17 year old) I ownder if that kid who played in Crazy in Alabama, American Gothic(TV show), and The War would work.

BradLaGrange
Ringneck
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2001, 11:32:17 AM »

I think that a remake of the Audie Murphy bio "To Hell and Back" could work if done right.  Even though Audie was in the origional, his book is far darker than the movie and he is a far more complex character than they let him be.  The movie came off like "Opie goes to war" or something.   Also the story line only remotley followed what actually happened to him.

With modern FX(remember the explosions superimposed over the tanks), better costuming(especially for the Krauts), and a decent budget for good actors it would be possible to pull it off.  I thin kand ideal Auddie Murphy would have been Gary Sinise about the time he was doing "Of Mice and Men".  Current actor wise(Gary is still young, but he aint going to pull of a 17 year old) I ownder if that kid who played in Crazy in Alabama, American Gothic(TV show), and The War would work.

BradLaGrange
Flangepart
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2001, 12:06:08 PM »

I'm with ya',Ringneck. Audie diden't came across as he did in the book. War heros are by nature complex as the mad enviroment they inhabit. The true horror of what modern wepons do to people rearly gets the Pvt. Ryan treatment in a serious manner. When Murphy used the 50. Cal on the tank to stop some germans, they never showed what a 1 ounce bullet moveing at nearly 3000 feet per second will do to a man. The movie To hell and Back just coulden't avoid sanitising the facts. anyway.......Besides this flick, i'd like to see Gorgo remade. And make it clear it takes place in the Godzilla universe. I'd like to see a Kaiju film that shows the day to day life in a world where these things are always looming over the potential horizon. And brother, can Gorgo loom! Background newscasts about monsters in other countries, the economic effects on international trade because shipping sceduals have to be changer to avoid Godzilla and such. Now that could be an original story! Gorgo it is, then. And yes, lets see "O'Kenny" get stomptokyoed! .........."He looks like a chimp thats dressed up"--- Mike Nelson.
Steve.
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2001, 12:48:15 PM »

Could someone please do justice to Richard Matheson's great novel "I Am Legend". Vincent Price's filmed version "Last Man On Earth" was poor, but Charlton Heston's "Omega Man" was even worse - an opportunity that was totally wasted.
Andrew
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2001, 02:15:37 PM »

I want to see CGI bunnies with razor-sharp teeth and pronounced claws (just like a raptor) slaughtering people left and right.  Can't you just seem them slavering and advancing on a bunch of doomed people right now?

Andrew
Squishy
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2001, 04:25:09 PM »

...and then, out of nowhere, a giant wolf appears, and inadvertantly saves the day by snatching up and eating the bunnies! As the bunnies scream and John Williams' score swells, the humans pile into a jeep and race off to the heliport. Meanwhile, the wolf lifts his enormous leg and...

(Be careful what you wish for, Steve. Schwartznegger's been rumored to be eyeing "I Am Legend" for a while. Fortunately, he's always being rumored to be eyeing a LOT of things all at once, most of which never get made.)
Steve.
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2001, 06:08:03 PM »

Ohmigod! - I take it all back - please nooooo!
Andrew
« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2001, 06:09:27 PM »

Ick.  Anything, but anything, except Arnold as that title character.  Who though?  It shouldn't have to be an older actor; just one who seems (or can look) thoughtful.

Maybe Rupert Everett?  He is not without promise.

Andrew
Ringneck
« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2001, 08:59:15 PM »

Flange---  Yeah, they pretty well did sensitize Auddie's story, which is ashamed because like SPR showed you can have a war movie which shows war as brutal but without the Fonda like condemnation of it as 100% evil.   I often wondered if they just adapted an existing script to fit the theme of the book, then used Auddie's money trouble to get him to take it.  Look how well Red Badge of Courage did in that direction, only sensitized because of lack of FX.   I like THAB, but see it more as Ft. Apache killfest rather than a serious war movie.  

That is a VERY interesting plot for the Gorgo thing(not just because gorgo is underappreciated).  I often wondered how things in the Godzilla/Monster Island universe went from day to day.  Imagine the sheer madness as everybody in San Franciscotried to flee because a big rubber suit was spotted off the coast by a Navy sub?  Imagine the horror as those who live around San Francisco try to flee when they realize those from inside the city are heading their way.  Imagine the Horror of those from SF when they realized they had made a wrong turn and were now un-armed in Oakland...............

BradLaGrange
Pages: [1] 2 3
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Which Bad Movie would you remake? « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.