Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 06:30:22 PM
713370 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Help me start an Anime collection « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Author Topic: Help me start an Anime collection  (Read 8738 times)
NiGHTS
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #30 on: June 17, 2003, 03:27:13 PM »

I DO have standards.  Even in bad movies.  There's a fine line between cheese, and trash, Mr. Tuck, and a good portion of the movies you listed are trash.  Watching every movie on that list would be like watching 'I Spit On Your Grave' in super slo-mo for three days.  Not my idea of fun.

NiGHTS

"Time flies like an arrow.  Fruit flies like a banana." --Groucho Marx
Dolph Lundgren
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #31 on: June 17, 2003, 03:58:48 PM »

Tuck, we're not attacking the fact that you enjoy those sort of movies.  A majority of us have seen at least parts of them, but that doesn't mean that we all necessarily enjoy them.  If you like them, then watch them.  No one should be able to convince you otherwise.  But, like Andy said, a little warning probably should've been given to the hentai titles.  Some people are introduced to anime through these titles and are scared off because they think that it's what anime's all about.  It's not, obviously, but newcomers might not know that.

Nick
Grumpy Guy
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #32 on: June 17, 2003, 04:05:43 PM »

No, I was actually attacking Tuck's tastes.

That crap is what gives Anime a bad name.  Pulling those as examples of what to watch in Anime is like calling Brown Bunny and Dirty Debutantes the pinnacle of American film making.

--"I doubt if a single individual could be found from the whole of mankind free from some form of insanity.  The only difference is one of degree."
--Desiderius Erasmus
Goon
« Reply #33 on: June 17, 2003, 05:29:12 PM »

Spring for the complete collection of Studio Ghibli stuff.  If not that, make sure you at least get the music video Miyazaki did for "On Your Mark".
It's a sweet video, and it could stand on it's own as a feature length film.

----ooo-'U'-ooo------
Chadzilla
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #34 on: June 17, 2003, 05:33:54 PM »

The first few Animes I'm planning on buying are
Agent Aika, La Blue Girl, and something called Strange Love.  For what that's worth.

Chadzilla
Gosh, remember when the Internet was supposed to be a wonderful magical place where intelligent, articulate people shared information? Neighborhood went to hell real fast... - Anarquistador
TC
« Reply #35 on: June 17, 2003, 05:57:57 PM »

My favorite anime is "Barefoot Gen"....It's a anime about the atomic bomb being dropped on Japan through the eyes of a young boy.  It's an interesting look at life in Japan at that time, and also very gripping for it's pull no punches realism.  Very depressing at times, but very much worth watching.  I highly recommend it.
Funk, E.
« Reply #36 on: June 17, 2003, 05:59:25 PM »

Wolf Brigade is the only one I'd recommend that hasn't already been mentioned
JohnL
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #37 on: June 18, 2003, 02:41:52 AM »

I liked Wicked City, which is about the human world clashing with the world of demons.
NiGHTS
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #38 on: June 18, 2003, 02:03:56 PM »

> Goon wrote:

> Spring for the complete collection of Studio Ghibli stuff. If not that, make sure you at least get the music video Miyazaki did for "On Your Mark".
It's a sweet video, and it could stand on it's own as a feature length film.

There is no official collection, actually.  This is a bootleg Korean set, and, while incredibly swet, Ghibli doesn't see one red cent from it.  If that falls into your moral worldview for buying bootleg stuff, more power toyou.  If not, just wait for things to come out stateside, or find fansubs and buy the movie after it comes out.

NiGHTS

"Time flies like an arrow.  Fruit flies like a banana." --Groucho Marx
X
« Reply #39 on: June 21, 2003, 02:07:33 AM »

"Sailor Moon", of course! "Miyuki Chan In Wonderland" and "Stepmother's Sin" are good.
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #40 on: June 23, 2003, 08:22:04 AM »

Wow! Thanks for all the suggestions. It will probably cost me hundreds of dollars to buy all these DVDs, so you must all share in the blame when my wife gives me a beating.

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
AndrewTBS
« Reply #41 on: June 23, 2003, 10:33:30 AM »

n/t
Nemo2342
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #42 on: June 23, 2003, 11:09:38 PM »

Read or Die: 3 episodes, 1 DVD. One of the best anime OVAs I've seen in awhile. Yumiko, the main character, is very cute in a geeky sort of way. Lots of action, lots of humor, and it's not terribly gross.

The Big O: 13 episodes (Season 1), 4 dvds :(. The animation reminds me of Batman: The Animated Series. And it's got giant robots. So that's cool.
Nemo2342
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #43 on: June 25, 2003, 09:38:48 PM »

http://www.animecritic.com/_metareview/list-rating.php

Just in case you wanted to see some reviews for the things we've recommended
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Help me start an Anime collection « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.