Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 05:20:48 AM
713324 Posts in 53055 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Your Job « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6
Author Topic: Your Job  (Read 23020 times)
retrorussell
In the town of Valentine Bluffs, there are many ways to die. Take your pick.
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Hanniger! I'll be waiting in HELL for you!

« Reply #60 on: March 07, 2011, 10:30:39 PM »

There was a similar thread at one point, I think.  I posted my job there but I'll post it here too.
Hospital housekeeper at a Veterans Hospital in Portland OR.  Pretty groovy job.  Don't have to directly deal with patients, the nurses are nice, and I work hard enough to keep the inspection reports down to a minimum.  Before that I pulled warehouse orders, inspected, ran an assembly line, and drove a forklift.

"O the legend they say, on a Valentine's Day, is a curse that'll live on and on.."
Mofo Rising
Global Moderator

My cat can eat a whole watermelon!

« Reply #61 on: March 08, 2011, 01:15:12 AM »

Sometimes I wish science was more like what you see in TV and movies, in real life its alot more time consuming and with much less cackling at thunderstorms than one would expect.

You don't cackle during thunderstorms and indulge in speeches about how humanity will suffer for ignoring your brilliant ideas? You should think about it, it's one of my favorite perks.

I'm still working in a public library, taking fines and fielding complaints, a job I've held for almost a decade now.

My last student job was teaching General Chemistry to freshmen in their lab course, which I really enjoyed. Makes you feel like a genius. "You have questions about the Henderson-Hasselbalch equation? Well allow me to bore you to tears with basic math!"

Every dead body that is not exterminated becomes one of them. It gets up and kills. The people it kills, get up and kill.
Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #62 on: March 08, 2011, 01:26:19 AM »

and drove a forklift.

I was wondering who inspired the MST3K guys to sing "He tried to kill me with a forklift!" Now I know.  TeddyR TeddyR

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
Joe the Destroyer
« Reply #63 on: March 08, 2011, 08:37:38 AM »

Patient transporter.  I pick patients up from one location in the hospital, living or deceased, and move them to another.  We have other duties as well, such as delivering blood, distributing oxygen tanks with O2 regulators to departments (this can be tricky, because everyone seems to think they're the only unit in the hospital and hides them from us, not realizing they're really hiding the regs from the rest of the hospital, i.e. patients), and balancing the distribution of wheelchairs and stretchers. 

The only thing I will say about it is it doesn't pay enough.  It's both physically and emotionally exhausting, and half the staff treats you like an idiot or a go-fer.  One HUC called our department to ask us to transport a chart from her unit to the one down the hall.  Our dispatcher declined and she got p**sed.  He made sure to tell her that she could walk her fat ass twenty feet to deliver it or get one of her CNAs to do it rather than make one of us climb up five floors to do something that takes twenty seconds. 

I'm hoping to go to school later this year to become an X-ray tech and get the hell out of transport. 
WildHoosier09
I'm the one who looks like he can use a keyboard
Bad Movie Lover

I've got to find out what causes this and put a st

« Reply #64 on: March 08, 2011, 07:21:35 PM »

@Mofo-Rising:
Unfortunately no, not nearly enough pontificating about how they will be sorry they never listened to me. Hard to do since my boss pretty much is rarely in the country and whenever I ask him about something his answer is "who knows, maybe it could work, go ahead and give it a try and tell me how it goes." He has yet to laugh at my ideas and leave me grumbling about my eventual revenge on society.

That is one good point in science is it is alot less stifling (at least in my area, Quality control/regulatory types are very stifled) than you see in movies. I have been at meetings where people have presented things that were very controversial (by chemistry standards) I have never seen anyone laughed at or vegetables thrown during a scientific meeting though. 

Though in somewhat keeping to our roots I do force all my interns to work on and maintain a good maniacal laugh. Always got to keep it on hand in case you decide to go from garden variety scientist to mad scientist.  BounceGiggle

The only difference between zombies and toddlers is one is cuter than the other.
Chainsawmidget
« Reply #65 on: March 08, 2011, 09:56:31 PM »

@Mofo-Rising:
Unfortunately no, not nearly enough pontificating about how they will be sorry they never listened to me. Hard to do since my boss pretty much is rarely in the country and whenever I ask him about something his answer is "who knows, maybe it could work, go ahead and give it a try and tell me how it goes." He has yet to laugh at my ideas and leave me grumbling about my eventual revenge on society.

That is one good point in science is it is alot less stifling (at least in my area, Quality control/regulatory types are very stifled) than you see in movies. I have been at meetings where people have presented things that were very controversial (by chemistry standards) I have never seen anyone laughed at or vegetables thrown during a scientific meeting though. 

Though in somewhat keeping to our roots I do force all my interns to work on and maintain a good maniacal laugh. Always got to keep it on hand in case you decide to go from garden variety scientist to mad scientist.  BounceGiggle

Just because people listen to you doesn't mean you still can't "SHOW THEM!  SHOW THEM ALL!!!!!" 

As for me, I was in the Army for eight years and I currently work at Toys R Us. 
voltron

« Reply #66 on: March 08, 2011, 10:23:49 PM »

i used to work for a video production company ages ago - ok job, but the politlkks...ehhhh. unfortunately (or fortunatenly hehe) recent health (physical and mental) concerns have prevented me from having any stable employment.

"Nothin' out there but God's little creatures - more scared of you than you are of them"  - Warren, "Just Before Dawn"
Pilgermann

« Reply #67 on: March 09, 2011, 01:18:36 AM »

I've wasted the last decade working at a couple movie theaters.  I've been managing at one for a while, but I'm pretty burnt out at this point.  Part of the fun died when we got rid of 35mm.

Considering cutting grass for the local public school system...

Trevor
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #68 on: March 09, 2011, 01:24:31 AM »

Part of the fun died when we got rid of 35mm.

So your theaters are digital only now? That's a shame indeed. Preparing and projecting 35mm film was a hell of a lot of work but it was a lot of fun too.  Smile

Pilgermann

« Reply #69 on: March 09, 2011, 02:04:48 AM »

Part of the fun died when we got rid of 35mm.

So your theaters are digital only now? That's a shame indeed. Preparing and projecting 35mm film was a hell of a lot of work but it was a lot of fun too.  Smile

Yup, all digital, something that the chain actually boasts about on their website.  It's nice in that the operation is pretty simple and you can get a really sharp and vibrant image, but there's a certain feel that comes from watching an actual print in a theater that's lost through digital.  I'm sure that the majority of folks don't romanticize film viewing in that way, but it's a shame for those that do.

I really loved handling film, putting prints together, and threading the projectors in spite of the techincal difficulties that would occur (brain wraps make me want to cry).  At least when something goes wrong with actual film you can usually tell what happend just by looking, but with digital you get baffling errors, lenses that decide to go out of focus (the projectors we use have pre-set parameters set by installers for things like zoom, focus, light outpout, etc. that are mechanically controlled) for no apparent reason, corrupt files, and other little annoyances.  Recently I accidentally dropped a hard drive of The Eagle because the case wasn't closed all of the way and it went kaput.

All of our old equipment is still sitting in the booth collecting dust.  I wish they'd sell 'em because a lot of them are still great pieces of equipment and some other theaters in town could surely use them.

Trevor
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #70 on: March 09, 2011, 02:48:52 AM »

Recently I accidentally dropped a hard drive of The Eagle because the case wasn't closed all of the way and it went kaput.

In my 22 years of film projection the only thing I ever dropped was a fully made up feature film reel + trailers weighing I don't know how much. I dropped the thing on my foot and I'm sure that the audience could hear me swearing.  Buggedout Buggedout

I will be screening two South African feature films at a festival in July on 16mm, no less. You will get the odd idiot coming up to you and asking "Which DVD are we watching?" *FACEPALM* and then I have to explain what 16mm is.  Smile

Hammock Rider

« Reply #71 on: March 09, 2011, 09:15:55 AM »

I'm a tiny cog in the engine room of a sinking ship. Cheers

Jumping Kings and Making Haste Ain't my Cup of Meat
Raffine

« Reply #72 on: March 09, 2011, 12:39:13 PM »

I was a public school music teacher for about 6 years before getting a job as the operations director for a non-profit agency.

A couple of years ago I felt the need to change so moved to Savannah and now work as a 911 operator/police dispatcher.

I can honestly say it is almost never boring, particularly in a town with so many 'characters'.

I'm always tempted to end a dispatch with "That is all" like they do in the 30s and 40s movies!

If you're an Andy Milligan fan there's no hope for you.
WildHoosier09
I'm the one who looks like he can use a keyboard
Bad Movie Lover

I've got to find out what causes this and put a st

« Reply #73 on: March 10, 2011, 09:03:16 PM »

I'm a tiny cog in the engine room of a sinking ship. Cheers

Ouch, that's got to suck. How sinking is this ship? How would you rate it on a scale from 1- "This quarters profits weren't as strong as last years" to  10- "your CEO is being led away in handcuffs and anyone can now buy his mansion for less than a quarter of its original price"?

The only difference between zombies and toddlers is one is cuter than the other.
ghouck

Afro-Mullets RULE!

« Reply #74 on: March 11, 2011, 02:07:18 AM »

Odd jobs it is. Helping people like. Here and there as it might be.

(bonus points to anybody who knows where I stole that from)

For some reason I'm thinking A Clockwork Orange, but can't imagine where in the movie it would be.

Raw bacon is GREAT! It's like regular bacon, only faster, and it doesn't burn the roof of your mouth!

Happiness is green text in the "Stuff To Watch For" section.

James James: The man so nice, they named him twice.

"Aw man, this thong is chafing my balls" -Lloyd Kaufman in Poultrygeist.

"There's always time for lubricant" -Orlando Jones in Evolution
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Your Job « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.