Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 06:46:04 AM
714232 Posts in 53092 Topics by 7736 Members
Latest Member: ShayneGree
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Dario Argento « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Dario Argento  (Read 2894 times)
guitarwolf
« on: July 01, 2001, 11:13:03 PM »

I've only seen Suspiria and Deep Red, but I enjoyed them very much. Especially Suspiria. I just wanted to know if anyone had any suggestions of some other good Argento movies and which ones to avoid. I know he made a few crap films, but I'm not sure which ones they are. Goblin really knows how to score a movie too. I had the theme from Zombie stuck in my head for almost a week after I saw that film. Does anyone have their cd's, are they just as good?
Chadzilla
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2001, 12:26:29 AM »

Is Tenebrae.  

Inferno, a sequel of sorts to Suspiria, is also quite good.  His films Trauma and Phantom of the Opera are disappointing, The Stendahl Syndrome less so.  His first film, The Bird with the Crystal Plumage, is required viewing.
Will
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2001, 01:26:05 AM »

check out Cat O'Nine Tails, Terror at the Opera (also called Opera, a different film from Phantom of the Opera), Phenomena.

Goblin's film scores are all on CD.  They're excellent.
Skaboi18
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2001, 08:50:32 AM »

The Church is a great Dario Argento film.  He didn't direct it, Micheal Savoi(another great director), took the helm of this one, but Argento wrote it.  Strange film about demons and the unlucky souls who are stuck in the church they inhabit.
Steve.
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2001, 02:28:49 PM »

See Tenebrae (a sort of sequel to Suspiria), The Bird With Crystal Plumage, Four Flies On Grey Velvet, Cat O' Nine Tails, Inferno. Avoid Phenomena aka Creepers, Opera, Two Evil Eyes. TEE was made in conjunction with George Romero, which makes it even more disappointing.
StatCat
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2001, 12:19:28 AM »

Dario Argento is probably my favorite director and my top choice for his best movie would be Deep Red. IF you were going to see another of his films I would say Tenebre easily is another of his great films. His first movie Bird with Crystal Plummage is also good. Others I would recommend would be Opera, Inferno, cat o nine tails (being released on dvd by anchor bay soon) Phenomena. I never really liked suspiria and don't understand why people a lot of the time consider it his best movie. I found his story in Two Evil Eyes to be ok it was much better then Romero's. Also If your really into his films the new book that came out "Art of Darkess" is a must have for any Argento fan like myself. It really isn't interviews with Dario but in depth looks at his movies. It has everything he has done so far and several nice pictures.
Guitarwolf
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2001, 05:59:02 PM »

Thanks for the replies. What do you guys think of Four Flies on Grey Velvet?
Chadzilla
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2001, 06:20:45 PM »

It's a bit 'dry' by current Argento standards but has its moments nonetheless.  The ultra slow motion decapitation sequence makes it required.*

*In an interview Argento talked about using this highspeed camera that shot through a full reel (about ten minutes film) in a matter of seconds, creating slow motion that appeared almost still frame.  The decapitation took literal split second timing or it would not get completely captured by the camera.  Retakes (of which they were evidently quite a few) were very costly.
Steve.
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2001, 09:31:09 AM »

FFOGV's plot is based on the myth that whatever your last image is before death, it will be imprinted on your retina. It's among his better movies, though not THE best, and the decapitation is very well done.
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Dario Argento « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.