Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 11:36:57 AM
714235 Posts in 53092 Topics by 7736 Members
Latest Member: ShayneGree
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Un-PC commercials that got censored « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Un-PC commercials that got censored  (Read 4066 times)
Mr_Vindictive
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

By Sword. By Pick. By Axe. Bye Bye.

« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2005, 08:27:41 AM »

Yeah, Raj is right.  The original lyrics are "funky s**t going down in the city", just heard it this morning on the way to work.

It really really amazes me at what stupid s**t people are getting upset over.  I can vaguely understand the Janet Jackson thing, but these commercials are not offensive.  I don't want to get too political, but it seems that we are moving towards a more tight assed America since W. has been in office.  I have no problem with people trying to better their morals, but I do have a problem with everyone ready to b***h as soon as something tiny occurs.  

I'm sure that 85-90% of America feels this same way.  It's just the small percentage that has to screw everything up.

A bald man named Savalas visited me last night in a dream.  I think it was a Telly vision.
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2005, 08:49:38 AM »

I'd be more likely to blame most of this censorship on the left than on the right. The sort of enforced sensitivity that would not let us have even a small laugh at anyone's expense, that's been around longer than Dubya has been president, and it comes from the other end of the political spectrum. And I'd say it's probably worse in Canada, where we're all just such caring people (or so we've been told by the folks ruining the country).

If you're just referring to the song lyrics, I'd say that the rules are getting looser there, not tighter.

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
Brian Ringler
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2005, 10:40:39 AM »

that one commercial for those gel inserts got changed from like a felon to like magellan.
Break It
« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2005, 03:33:49 PM »

I can think of a good one, a few years back they had a commercial for Nintendo where the point was they were advertising how several of the games had dropped in prices.  Anyway, the commerical starts we see the side view of a young boy (about 12 or so I'd guess) standing in a doorway.  We hear his father's voice (off camera) and he's saying stuff like, "Son, there comes a time in every man's life when he must learn about trust and responsibility, about when it's best to speak up and when it's best to remain quiet."

Camera cuts to inside the room and the dad is dressed up in women's clothes a la Rocky Horror Picture Show (albeit without make-up) and he says, "In other words son, how much for you not to tell you mother you saw this?"

Well, that commercial only aired like once then they aired it again, only this time the dad was dressed in a clow suit (WTF?)  I'm guessing the orginial concept was dropped.
blkrider
« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2005, 04:02:08 PM »

Both versions of that Steve Miller song have played on radio stations for years.  
I presume he did two versions.  It's nothing recent.
Fearless Freep

« Reply #20 on: February 17, 2005, 04:13:11 PM »

Both versions of that Steve Miller song have played on radio stations for years.
I presume he did two versions. It's nothing recent.

Same with Charlie Daniel's "The Devil Went Down To Georgia".  Two recordings.

I didn't know what the fuss about the GoDaddy.com commercials was ( I read they didn't play the second a few days later) but I remember turning to my wife after it played and saying "well that was stupid"  It really looked like an ad dreamed up by geeks at a dot com who thought  they were being funny and sexy or something; it tried so hard to be cool but really wasn't, regardless of the nature of the content

=======================
Going places unmapped, to do things unplanned, to people unsuspecting
JohnL

« Reply #21 on: February 18, 2005, 06:38:28 AM »

>I didn't know what the fuss about the GoDaddy.com commercials was ( I read
>they didn't play the second a few days later) but I remember turning to my wife
>after it played and saying "well that was stupid" It really looked like an ad
>dreamed up by geeks at a dot com who thought they were being funny and sexy
>or something; it tried so hard to be cool but really wasn't, regardless of the nature
>of the content

The longer version had a couple of funny lines. Near the end, the woman on the committee says "Secure her, we don't want any accidents" and the guy next to her mutters "I think I just had one..." and leaves the meeting. As it fades out you hear the woman say "Those are not real...".

The other night I saw a commercial that probably won't stay on the air very long. It was an animated ad for Red Bull where a wife tells her husband that her mother is coming for a visit. The husband then imagines several different ways of killing her before settling on giving her a Red Bull so that she'll grow wings and fly away.

Post Edited (02-18-05 07:40)
dean

« Reply #22 on: February 19, 2005, 05:40:32 AM »

Not too sure about this one, but I have to ask:

I saw a clip of an Xbox ad which was apparently banned [or at least pulled till a later date] simply because it was deemed too loud and 'kinda frightening' for a post 9/11 audience [it was supposed to air shortly afterwards].  Since I don't see these ads because I am in a different country, I'd like to know if it ever ran in the US:

The Ad basically has a kid being born, and he pops out of his mother, straight out the window and is flying through the sky.  The baby is crying, and bit by bit the baby gets older and older, until he becomes a boy, where he starts screaming "Aaaaah" [as in aaaah, I'm flying through the sky, this is quite terrifying!]

He gets older and older until, when he is an old man, he lands, right in an empty, freshly-dug grave.  Then accompanied by a tagline similar to, but not exactly, 'Xbox, live life to the fullest" [not exact quote but I can't quite remember it]

I thought this ad was really well done, so I was just wondering whether I was misled as to its condition, or whether it was actually banned for the reasons I stated earlier.  

Just curious.

------------The password will be: Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch
Pages: 1 [2]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Un-PC commercials that got censored « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.