Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 01:04:59 PM
713351 Posts in 53056 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Rock music sucks now days « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8
Author Topic: Rock music sucks now days  (Read 44183 times)
Drezzy
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2003, 11:13:46 PM »

JUst go buy a Motörhead album. ANY album. Once you hear the awesome power of God's Music, you'll wonder where the f**k your balls have been all these years.

And as the world began crumbling down
Nobody around seemed to care
Brother Ragnarok
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2003, 12:22:42 AM »

All this talk about stoner rock and no one mentioned Clutch or Sixty Watt Shaman!  Shame!  And if you want some bands that are pure kickass rock and roll, check out Guitar Wolf and Mother Superior.  I've hung out with the Mother Superior guys a couple times (they're also Rollins' band) and they're really cool.
Good music has always had to be searched for, that's why it's so rewarding when you find it.  There are tons of awesome metal bands out there, too.  I've said it before and I'll say it again, metal musicians are the best musicians in the world.  Not just because I'm prejudiced, but that s**t is hard to play.  Take Nick Barker from Dimmu Borgir and Proscriptor McGovern from Absu for example.  When you can drum so fast it sounds like the CD is skipping, that's talent.  And don't get me started on Devin Townsend, the greatest goddamn musician on the planet, hands down.  Also check out Vintersorg, one of the best singers in the business.
Motorhead, f**k yeah.
Point is, buy CD's and screw the radio, there's nothing worth listening to except oldies stations there.
Some links for great music:
www.gemm.com is a great place to find lots of really really kickass s**t.
www.hevydevy.com
www.pro-rock.com
www.orderofthedragon.com
www.dimmu-borgir.com

Brother R

There are only two important things in life - monsters and hot chicks.
    - Rob Zombie
Rape is just cause for murdering.
    - Strapping Young Lad
Evan3
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2003, 12:25:56 AM »

I must say that I enjoyed Linkin Park's first alum. If you think that it is only a mix of  rap and rock, you have missed a lot of their nuances such as a heavy techno leaning, great drum beats and the obvious classic overtones. Unfortunately their second album truly IS garbage.

Now I am not sure what you mean by rock, Michelle Branch, Britney Spears (who I like) and the Boxcar Racers and Get Up Kids  (who I despise) all claim to be some form of rock.

To me, I think the best rock out there is that which lends itself to the old Steppenwolf era. I would say check out Queens of the Stone Age, Maroon 5, and probably the best modern rock band, Nickleback.

If you are looking for Hard Rock, System Of a Down is one of my favorites and Disturbed is nice as well.

And if you mean classic Beatles like rock, I reccomend either the Chili Peppers or Something Corporate. Yes, those are good.

"Sir, if you were my husband, I would poison your drink."

--Lady Astor to Winston Churchill

"Madam, if you were my wife, I would drink it."

--His reply
wickednick
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2003, 01:47:05 AM »

Thanks man ive been needing some place were I can find some good underground metal

Smells like popcorn and shame
Fearless Freep

« Reply #19 on: June 27, 2003, 11:09:14 AM »

I've said it before and I'll say it again, metal musicians are the best musicians in the world.

I would beg to differ :)

Playing fast doesn't really mean you are any good,  It just means you've put in the hours to get faster,  It takes a lot of work, but in the end you are just fast.  That  doesn't make for  a good musician.  I can play bass pretty fast, but rarely do I need to, because from a musical stand point, it raraley fits in the context.  Good musicianship entails knowing what the music needs, and sometimes that requires good technique, and sometimes it just requires good feel.

One thing I've found is that playing straight is a lot easier than playing swing.  There's a difference in playing 'straight eighths' and 'swing eighths'.  In the first, tyou are playing tight on every note, in the second, you are only playing tight on the 1 beat ad everything else is slid just a bit.  Getting a group together to all swing the same and keeping your own swing in that can be a challenge.  Playing straight in 5 or 7 or 9 or others is just a counting exercise and, if you are doing in particularly fast or doing a particularly complicated part, mostly a dexterity exercise. Playing a swing feel in 5 or 7 or 9, etc...is not nearly so mechanical and requires more than just a physical recitation of the part but also a sensitivity to how hard or soft the swing is around you.

One of the hardest and most musicall challenging thins I've had to do is play a fast Be-Bop tune (think Charlie Parker).  Being that the bass part is not established, it's basically an extended improve and you have to be aware of what's going on both melodically and harmonically to improvise a line that makes musical sense, and you can't ever repeat an exact  line or it feels stale and canned.  Playing  4-to-the-bar at 280 bpm is not difficult technically, but doing it in a way that is musically intelligent (ie..working within the harmonic structure for the chord and scale of the moment) as well as spontaneously creative is very challenging. Ironically, you can't really practice the part.   When you practice that kind of stuff, you are not practicing the part and the line but simply getting a better feel for what a line can do in that musical context so that when you play the song for real, you can be more spantanous and intelligent at the same time

FWIW - I downloaded a bunch of Devin Townsend MP3s (Victim, Death, Material, Kingdom).  It was...um...fast.  However it was very harmonically limited and  rhythmically pretty straightforward (and repetitive)

Don't misunderstand me, playing fast like that can be a challenge and doing ti in a band setting with everyone playing up like that can take a lot of work, but there are huge areas of musical mastery in terms on harmonic structure, rhythm , timing, groove, improvisation, dynamics, etc... that you just don't hear a lot of in metal music that the term 'best musicians in the world' is not really warrented

Post Edited (06-27-03 11:20)

=======================
Going places unmapped, to do things unplanned, to people unsuspecting
wuggles451
« Reply #20 on: June 27, 2003, 11:19:56 AM »

anyone esle like sitar music?

superdude
« Reply #21 on: June 27, 2003, 02:36:17 PM »

I don't pay attention to mainstream, there is nothing bu garbage and it's always been like that for years now, too much nu-metal and pop-punk

most of the best music now is coming from sweden, Opeth and In Flames are my two favorite bands now

other bands I listen to: Death, Carcass, Meshuggah, Pig Destroyer, Novembre, Sentenced, Children of Bodom, Pain of Salvation, Dream Theater, Cryptopsy, Naglfar, the bands I listen to have been around for years and never been on the radio

I mostly listen to progressive metal and death/black metal
StatCat
« Reply #22 on: June 27, 2003, 04:07:10 PM »

I agree music of today generally sucks. That's why you have to look back and listen to music from the 60s- 70s and realize how the music scene then just blows everything now away.  I'm personally into 60's garage rock, psychedelia, punk, and classic rock generally.  Sitars are cool instruments indeed.
Drezzy
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #23 on: June 27, 2003, 05:12:52 PM »

Brother Ragnarok wrote:

> All this talk about stoner rock and no one mentioned Clutch or
> Sixty Watt Shaman!  Shame!

SIXTY WATT SHAMAN~! Dude, I heard some of their stuff, just "A Reason To Live," and I LOVE it. If only their albums were carried by the record stores 'round here...

>  Take Nick Barker from Dimmu Borgir and Proscriptor McGovern
> from Absu for example.  When you can drum so fast it sounds
> like the CD is skipping, that's talent.  And don't get me
> started on Devin Townsend, the greatest goddamn musician on the
> planet, hands down.  

ABSU~!~!~ Man, I thought I was the only one that knew of these Texas black metallers. And yes, Townsend is the only good thing to come from Canada...besides wrestlers, maple syrup, and hockey.

And as the world began crumbling down
Nobody around seemed to care
Paquita

« Reply #24 on: June 27, 2003, 08:14:20 PM »

what sucks the most about stuff that sucks is everyone LIKES it!  everyone sucks!

BUTT i think suck has always been around it just seems like stuff sucks more now in comparison to the past cos the stuff that sucked 20 years ago people realized it sucked and mercifully forgot about it.

love colleen
Vermin Boy
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #25 on: June 27, 2003, 11:24:48 PM »

Don't worry; sooner or later, there will be another revolution. We've got the same cultural problems today that we did in the 70s-- overwhelming blandness and complacency-- so it's only natural that something will come along, just like punk did in the 70s. I'm not saying that punk is the answer today, though; people have become way too used to it for it to effect change anymore.

As for what current bands I listen to, I usually go for the extreme underground-- guys like Wesley Willis, Jandek, The Residents, the Red Elvises, and the Legendary Stardust Cowboy, as well as the Dr. Demento set. Just about the only current mainstream band I find interesting is the Yeah Yeah Yeahs, though I haven't heard much of them.

-Vermin Boy

My site: The Vermin Cave
My band: The Demons of Stupidity
?????: ?????
Evan3
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #26 on: June 27, 2003, 11:44:47 PM »

Hey Feerless,

I disagree with your thoughts that straight is easier than swing. I play clarinet, piano, and tenor saxophone. Thus I have played both classical, rock and swing music.

I believe and have seen that anyone can play straight counted out 4/4 beats. However, swing is really what makes music alive. While classical compositions do have quite a bit of dramatics and sounds great, look at the number of defined notes, dynamics, tempos, etc. that classical and rock uses to convey its meanings.

In order to play jazz/swing, you MUST understand music itself. Why is pop so popular? because it finds a few notes that are pleasent and mixes them with a plethora of different harmonies, examples would be Britney Spears and Nickleback etc.  However, look at any jazz artist and perhaps even Norah Jones,. They have soaring melodies into upper and lower reaches with a simple, improvised harmony. both styles are fine, but in order to do jazz, you must have an instinctive feel for the music. Not everyone understands the innuendos and variations ofg swing which is why pop is  so much more popular.

"Sir, if you were my husband, I would poison your drink."

--Lady Astor to Winston Churchill

"Madam, if you were my wife, I would drink it."

--His reply
Brother Ragnarok

« Reply #27 on: June 28, 2003, 12:40:15 AM »

I screwed up, the link to Cradle of Filth's site is www.theorderofthedragon.com.
As far as having heard of stuff, like I said in the "what's your job" post, I work in one of the biggest indie record stores in the U.S., so I know about all kinds of stuff no one has ever heard of.

Brother R

Post Edited (04-01-04 04:41)

- Rob Zombie
    - Strapping Young Lad
superdude
« Reply #28 on: June 28, 2003, 12:42:10 AM »

wow I never thought anybody listened to Absu here

anyone else listen to Dissection?, really good black metal band
Brother Ragnarok

« Reply #29 on: June 28, 2003, 12:51:21 AM »

I was just using speed as an example.  The ability to coordinate drumming like Absu's and keep up vocals (McGovern is also the vocalist) even if they are screaming is impressive.
Sounds like most of the Devin stuff you got was Physicist, which is his weakest record.  Check out some of the things on Terria and Infinity.
I play a few instruments too, and although I'm self-taught and can't read music worth a damn, I can tell the difference between downpicking at a million miles an hour and playing a complicated riff or harmony.  Nile and Cephalic Carnage are two good examples of bands that play extremely intricate music, especially Cephalic.  Imagine avant-garde jazz fusion played as death metal.  In a song that's six or so minutes long and has probably ten or more timing changes, riff variations, etc, keeping it all in line isn't easy.
I'm not trying to insult other forms of music, I know there are good things that aren't metal.  Mr. Bungle is a great band that isn't metal (just about everything but, in fact, it's kind of hard to classify), but I get that "jazz and blues are more sophisticated" crap at work every day.  Loud doesn't mean no musical ability, it just means it's used in a different way.

Brother R

- Rob Zombie
    - Strapping Young Lad
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Rock music sucks now days « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.