Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 01:06:25 AM
713383 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Bootleging god or bad? « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: Bootleging god or bad?  (Read 8782 times)
Fearless Freep
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #15 on: July 05, 2003, 01:02:33 PM »

I recently checked out an artist who had his CD for sale online.  You could listen to a Real Audio clip for free, or download the mp3 for a dollar

=======================
Going places unmapped, to do things unplanned, to people unsuspecting
Ash

23 Year Badmovies.org Veteran

« Reply #16 on: July 05, 2003, 02:52:24 PM »

The way I look at it is to imagine someone throwing loads of $100 dollar bills up into the air at a public place with alot of people.

Everyone would scramble to snatch up as many as they possibly could would they not?

Because it was free money and because they could.

I look at MP3's like that.  Because they're free and because I can.

Besides, the majority around the world loves free MP3's.  

I personally don't understand why a person would want to pay for something that they could get for free elsewhere!

Post Edited (07-05-03 18:15)
Fearless Freep

« Reply #17 on: July 05, 2003, 02:55:14 PM »

Until it's your money someone else is throwing  into the air for others to grab.

Call me a fool I guess for taking the CD to the cash register instead of slipping it under my jacket; why pay when I can get it for free

Post Edited (07-05-03 14:56)

=======================
wickednick
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #18 on: July 05, 2003, 03:20:06 PM »

Apple just opened its own music store.You can download songs for 99 cents each.Its pretty cool.I can download an enitier album for the same cost as if I bought it from some place like Best Buy.

Smells like popcorn and shame
JohnL

« Reply #19 on: July 05, 2003, 06:17:43 PM »

>I personally believe that only a fool would pay for something that they could get
>for free elsewhere!

It depends how much trouble the free version is to get. There are a few songs I like and I've downloaded copies of them. One was a song that was used in an episode of Buffy. I had to download 4 copies before I got a flawless one. The first had static at a couple points, the second had a glitch in the middle, and the third sounded like it had been recorded by someone holding a mic up to the radio. Each was about 3.5mb, so I had to download 14mb for a single song.
Ash

« Reply #20 on: July 05, 2003, 06:50:49 PM »

I actually went back and re-worded (edited)that phrase that you quoted me on JohnL.

I didn't want to come across as a dick by saying that.

By saying it like I originally did I was basically calling all of you fools who are against bootlegging....which I know you are not.
Sorry about that.

Post Edited (07-05-03 18:51)
Ash

« Reply #21 on: July 06, 2003, 12:51:26 AM »

Freep.....I know that you & I disagree on this issue.....many others do as well.

But stealing from a store and downloading FREE MP3's online are two very different things.

Of course a person might argue that stealing is stealing.

I do not consider downloading MP3's online as stealing.

I would however regard it as stealing if there were a law against it....but alas there is not.

Until such a law is passed I will take and take and take to my heart's content!

Everyone that is against bootlegging is truthfully in the minority.

If you took a worldwide poll I'm sure that you would find that most people love it!

Am I wrong?

Post Edited (07-06-03 00:51)
Fearless Freep

« Reply #22 on: July 06, 2003, 09:36:20 AM »

If you took a worldwide poll I'm sure that you would find that most people love it!

Am I wrong?

Majority opinion does not make something right.  Look at history for a examples of behaviors where the majority at the time agreed with the behavior in question.. You have to either decide a) There are times where something is right or wrong, regardless of  what the majority of the time think or b)  I have no grounds on which to say something is wrong if the majority opinion of the time was that the issue in question was right.   Think slavery in the Roman empire or the early American history , or women's sufferage.  Issues in which the 'majority opinion' was not really the right opinon.  This is not to equate downloading MP3s with slavery, jutst to  point out the opinion polls don't create ethics.

If a musician puts up his music for download, then the artist has indicated that they are offering the song for download and I'll download it.   However, if the artist has not  put up his or her music for download, and the only way to get it is to download what someone else ripped from a CD, then I will honor the musicians wishes and not download the music. In my mind it's really up to the musician to say what they want done with their music and as a fellow musician also trying to make a living, I feel compelled to honor that.

It's awfully direspectful to say "hey, dude, I love your music, but I'm not going to pay for it since I can get it for free.  Sorry if you don't like it." I would say most musicians really don't need fans like that.  Like I said, when someone else grabs your money and starts throwing it around, you might object

That's just from an ethical perspective, from a legal persective it's hard to  see how ripping a CD so that a thousand other people can download it can be considered "fair use".       Downloading may not be illegal, but I would warrent ripping and uploading would be found to be so, and the only reason you don't see more prosecutions is the  the technology makes it difficult to track and single out versus the scale it's being done, not because it's legal.

=======================
wickednick
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #23 on: July 06, 2003, 02:53:59 PM »

To all you people who think that downloading songs and movies off the internet is good let me ask you this question.If some one stole the music from your car or home you would be mighty p**sed off wouldn't you.I mean thats your music,stuff you payed good money for,but the robber on the other hand feels that if he can get it free why should he buy it.You see what im saying here is that you are hypocrites.If some one stole something from you, you would be pist off.So why do you think its right to steal music from a musician or movie maker who has put in a lot of time and money to make.
And to say that you would have to be a moron to buy something when you could just get it free is stupid.I support my bands,game makers, and movie makers.I do not steal from them because I enjoy there products and want to keep them making more good stuff.But you people who steal from your favorite bands,game makers and movie makers are not support them.I wouldn't even call you a true fan because fans don't steal from there favorites stuff.
If you were a musician would you really want people to download your albums off the internet for free, when you need the money you get from those sales?

Smells like popcorn and shame
Kirk
« Reply #24 on: July 07, 2003, 01:04:00 PM »

ASHTHECAT vomited electrons into:
>>But stealing from a store and downloading FREE MP3's online are two very different things.

Bulls**t.  The artist is getting screwed either way.

>>Of course a person might argue that stealing is stealing.

It is.  Who the f*ck are you, Bill Clinton?

>>I do not consider downloading MP3's online as stealing.

Then you are an idiot.

>>I would however regard it as stealing if there were a law against it....but alas there is not.

Unauthorized Distribution and Unauthorized Duplication of Copyrighted Materials.  You are in violation of the label/artist's copyright.

>>Until such a law is passed I will take and take and take to my heart's content!

Again, you are an idiot.

>>Everyone that is against bootlegging is truthfully in the minority.

Oh boy, mob rule.  Where do you get this fact from?  Cites please.

>>If you took a worldwide poll I'm sure that you would find that most people love it!

Again, you got anything to back this up?  I bet the artists who are getting screwed aren't too fond of it.

>>Am I wrong?

YES.  And a complete gibbering moron.

Kirk
Ash

« Reply #25 on: July 07, 2003, 05:18:21 PM »

It is obvious that this contest cannot be decided by our knowledge of bootlegging.....but by our skills with a lightsaber!
JohnL

« Reply #26 on: July 07, 2003, 05:20:41 PM »

>But stealing from a store and downloading FREE MP3's online are two very
>different things.

True, one is physical property, the other is 'intellectual property'.

>I do not consider downloading MP3's online as stealing.

Technically, it's violating copyright.

>I would however regard it as stealing if there were a law against it....but alas there
>is not.

There is; Copyright law. The same law that says you can't make and give away copies of the latest movie on video, also say that you can't download music from the net if you don't have a legal right to it. If you already own a copy of the music in question, then you should be legally entitled to download a copy as all you're doing is shifting formats for your own personal use. Of course if you already had the music on CD, you could make your own MP3's.

>It's awfully direspectful to say "hey, dude, I love your music, but I'm not going to
>pay for it since I can get it for free. Sorry if you don't like it." I would say most

There will always be pirates and people who will take something for free, but, and I could be wrong about this, I think the problem is that the record companies aren't providing the music in the form the public wants. MP3 or other file formats are more versatile than a standard CD. Many of them can be stored on a HD or CD (as files) to create a huge jukebox. They can be burned to audio CD's to create mixes. They can downloaded to portable players etc. The music industry doesn't want any of this, they want to keep selling physical CD's for the same prices as they have been (and which they were accused of price-fixing for).

Let's say that I want a single song from an album. I go to the store and pay $15-20 for an entire CD full of music that I don't want, just to get that one song. I make an MP3 of it, then the CD sits there collecting dust. I can't legally re-sell it unless I give up the copy of the song that I made. On the other hand, if I could go to a single web site and download a copy for $0.50 I get just the song I want, there's no physical CD to hang around and I have it in the format I want in the first place.

Not to mention that the cost of delivering MP3 downloads has to be lower than creating physical packages and shipping them to stores.

>considered "fair use". Downloading may not be illegal, but I would warrent
>ripping and uploading would be found to be so, and the only reason you don't
>see more prosecutions is the the technology makes it difficult to track and single
>out versus the scale it's being done, not because it's legal.

I don't think the problem is singling out the users so much as what it would cost to take them all to court.

>To all you people who think that downloading songs and movies off the internet
>is good let me ask you this question.If some one stole the music from your car
>or home you would be mighty p**sed off wouldn't you.I mean thats your

Apples and oranges. To make this an accurate comparison you should say that someone made copies of all your music, so that you don't actually lose anything.

>why do you think its right to steal music from a musician or movie maker who has
>put in a lot of time and money to make.

It wouldn't be as widespread if the music and movie companies would start adapting to the current technology. Back when the tape recorder came out, the music companies tried to block it on the grounds that music piracy would put them all out of business. Instead it became a new source of income when they started selling music on tapes. When the VCR came out, the movie studios tried to get it outlawed on the grounds that if normal people had a device that could copy movies, the rampant piracy would put them out of business. Now a good portion, if not the majority of their profits come from movie rentals and sales.
Evan3
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #27 on: July 08, 2003, 05:46:09 PM »

My question is, if downloading is so bad,  then why does it persist? You have to think that most people are law abiding citizens who go to work, buy newspapers, dont shplift, pay 5 bucks for a subway sandwich, and come home and download music. Why not arrest everyone then.

Also, what is the difference between downloading shared music, or going up to your friend and saying, man, i want you to burn a copy or record that tape for me. I have been introduced to so many different bands.

Example, my friend bought a Train CD and burned me a copy as well as two others, so for one bought copy, three new CDs were given away.

I downloaded a lot of Third Eye Blind music and said, this is nice, this is good, and I want a perfect copy, so I bought the CD, 100 percent profit to company/artist.

Now, I also have Greek music, big band music, country pop music, etc. Plus why should I buy a one hit wonder's CD for one song. That is cheating me out. Why should I buy a CD that will only give me 10 tracks (although I did buy Nickleback) when I can fit 20 some odd songs onto one CD.

If you want to survive, then be a good artist. Not a one hit no one,

Plus, I have yet to hear of a strugling artist, even Sugar Ray, a lowly band, drives around in beautiful cars, lives in huge houses, tours the world on company dollar, gets endorsements, and goes to Playboy Mansion Parties.

"Sir, if you were my husband, I would poison your drink."

--Lady Astor to Winston Churchill

"Madam, if you were my wife, I would drink it."

--His reply
oderus urungus
« Reply #28 on: May 13, 2004, 10:53:08 AM »

fer shizzle
oderus urungus
« Reply #29 on: May 13, 2004, 10:57:04 AM »

dude if you wanna see a good movie its called
skulhedface
its by gwar
also check out all there vids
there the greatest
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Bootleging god or bad? « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.