Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 10:05:39 AM
714153 Posts in 53091 Topics by 7732 Members
Latest Member: Larryfiste
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  The evolution of the "PG" movie rating « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Author Topic: The evolution of the "PG" movie rating  (Read 22818 times)
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« on: June 30, 2003, 03:52:10 PM »

When I was a kid, a lot of movies that were rated "G" would now be rated "PG."

For instance, the first three PLANET OF THE APES movies were rated "G." But they contained shootings, nudity, blood, torture, profanity, etc. Surely, they would NOT be rated "G" by today's standards.

The movie WHAT'S UP DOC? was also rated "G," but had a lot of adult humor and dealt with the theme of infidelity.

As we all know, "G" stands for "General Audiences." But it seems to have evolved quite a bit, and now it REALLY means "kid's movie." In fact, most "PG" movies nowadays are really movies for kids. "PG-13" seems to be the real cut-off point between what is okay for the entire family, and what might shock or offend someone.

What does all of this mean? Probably nothing.

But the next time you watch one of the first few PLANET OF THE APES movies, and you see a naked ass or someone getting shot, ask yourself if something like that would get a "G" rating today.

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
Fearless Freep

« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2003, 03:54:08 PM »

IIRC - Lucas had to fight to keep Star Wars from being rated "G", fearing people would think it was only for kids

=======================
Going places unmapped, to do things unplanned, to people unsuspecting
Rob Phillips
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2003, 04:23:30 PM »

I remember a "GP" rating on a lot of horror movies when I was a kid. Anyone know about that?

Rob
onionhead
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2003, 04:29:43 PM »

Wikipedia.org has a good rundown on the rating system.

http://www.wikipedia.org/wiki/MPAA_film_rating_system

Some people like cupcakes better--I for one care less for them
Gerry
B-Movie Site Webmaster
Bad Movie Lover

It's not what you say, it's how you say it.

« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2003, 04:52:34 PM »

MAD DOCTOR OF BLOOD ISLAND only got a "M" rating when it was released ("M" would be come "GP", which would become "PG") in spite of quite a bit of blood and nudity.

Other notable nudity-featuring PG releases that come to mind are LOGAN'S RUN and THE BEASTMASTER.  There were quite a few.
Chadzilla
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2003, 05:20:43 PM »

Airplane! and the remake of Invasion of the Body Snatchers are both PG movies that had nudity.  Dang, the 70s were so cool.  Sex was neat back then, now it's back to being scuzzy and naughty.

Chadzilla
Gosh, remember when the Internet was supposed to be a wonderful magical place where intelligent, articulate people shared information? Neighborhood went to hell real fast... - Anarquistador
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964

« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2003, 05:21:25 PM »

Yes. "M" was the first rating. It basically divided movies into 2 categories: those for mature audiences (rated "M") and everything else (no rating). For instance, ON HER MAJESTY'S SECRET SERVICE was rated "M" for violence and adult themes.

"GP" was an early version of "PG." I think it only lasted a year or two before they changed it to "PG." An example is THE ABOMINABLE DR. PHIBES, which was rated "GP."

I can't think of a recent "PG" movie that features nudity, but it was fairly common back in the 1970s. For instance, WALKING TALL, PART 2 was rated "PG," and features a brief shot of a topless woman. Boobs and butts used to be routinely accepted in "PG" flicks back in the good old days.

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
Gerry
B-Movie Site Webmaster
Bad Movie Lover

It's not what you say, it's how you say it.

« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2003, 06:36:55 PM »

Chadzilla wrote:

> Airplane! and the remake of Invasion of the Body Snatchers are
> both PG movies that had nudity.  Dang, the 70s were so cool.
> Sex was neat back then, now it's back to being scuzzy and
> naughty.

And a surprising amount in the latter film at that!
raj

« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2003, 06:45:39 PM »

And Midnight Cowboy got an X  due to content about drugs and hints as to exactly what goes on in a Turkish prison.

I think in the 70s, coming out of the 60s, there was the idea that human nudity-- by itself, was no big deal.

Nowadays, directors add in enough cussing & nudity & violence to make sure they don't get a dreaded G or PG, so more folks will go see their movies.
systemcr4sh
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2003, 06:51:16 PM »

Also when PG-13 movies came out they allowed a little bit more in. Often containing some nudity and instances of the F word. Nowadays you usually don't get that in PG-13, but some movies (I'm thinking Stealing Harvard, National Security etc) you'll get the f word once or twice.

-Dan

"Evil will always triumph, because good, is dumb"
-Spaceballs

"Now life's like a b-movie, That no one wants to see,
Here comes the zombie, Portraying me."
     - Dillinger Four
JohnL

« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2003, 06:04:21 AM »

Not to mention that many older movies have come down in ratings. Such as Midnight Cowboy and Last Tango in Paris only being rated R now.

It does seem that they were easier on films back then. The most controversial mainstream film I've seen is probably Mandingo, which was rated R. If Showgirls got an NC-17, I don't see any way this movie could get away with just an R today.

As for PG13, I know it's supposed to be a harsher rating than normal PG, but every time I hear it mentioned, I can't help thinking that the '13' means it's suitable for 13 year olds.

Post Edited (07-01-03 06:05)
Evan3
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2003, 08:44:33 PM »

> As for PG13, I know it's supposed to be a harsher rating than
> normal PG, but every time I hear it mentioned, I can't help
> thinking that the '13' means it's suitable for 13 year olds.

The question is why does 13 change a person? Is it because they are now a teenager. I think it would be better if things were just G and R, PG is superfluous and I dont see the point of PG 13.

"Sir, if you were my husband, I would poison your drink."

--Lady Astor to Winston Churchill

"Madam, if you were my wife, I would drink it."

--His reply
jmc
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2003, 11:25:06 AM »

I guess they think teens can handle more than little kids.  

There are also adults that might not want to watch a kids' movie but don't want to see a movie with a lot of violence, cursing, etc....

I think the PG-13 was necessary--there were PG movies that were way too much for younger kids to handle [GREMLINS, INDIANA JONES AND THE TEMPLE OF DOOM, and I remember a big stir over SIXTEEN CANDLES], though some of the problem was lazy parents that though PG was automatically OK for kids.
Jim H.
« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2003, 12:17:16 AM »

The reason it changed this way (another example is True Grit, rated G and starts with a triple hanging and has people getting shot and bleeding, etc) is because PG-13 was introduced.  As near as I can tell, in the old days G was really modern ratings G AND PG, and PG was the high end of todays PG and PG-13.  That's why there is the difference, IMO.
Evan3
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2003, 01:19:28 PM »

I just saw the Italian Job yesterday, chock full of explosions and references most 13 year olds waouldnt get. Another example of the superfluous PG 13.

"Sir, if you were my husband, I would poison your drink."

--Lady Astor to Winston Churchill

"Madam, if you were my wife, I would drink it."

--His reply
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  The evolution of the "PG" movie rating « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.