Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 02:17:47 AM
713384 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Movies (present or recent) that have been milked dry « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Movies (present or recent) that have been milked dry  (Read 8854 times)
N. E. Moses
« on: July 04, 2001, 09:45:59 PM »

I have a teaser for you guys: Think of a movie series of any kind, regardless of how good it is that gives you a been there, done that additude.  For example, the Karate Kid series.  After "The Next Karate Kid" , that should be its last "hiya!!!"
Squishy
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2001, 03:31:00 AM »

"Halloween." Degenerated into "Friday The 13th"-style slasher-junk with the very first sequel, and has gotten steadily worse ever since.

"Airport" and other airliner-based suspense-thrillers ("Turbulence," "Executive Decision"). I would have though "Airplane!" had put the stake through that monster's heart years ago, but noooooooo...

Disney Direct-To-Video Animated Sequels (Ready for "Hunchback of Notre Dame II"? I'm not kidding.)

"Saturday Night Live" sketches turned into movies. A few worked. Most stunk the place up. I would've liked to see "Sprockets: The Movie," but I also fear what it might have become. "Fear" as in weeping, screaming, awake-all-night fear.
Mofo Rising
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2001, 04:27:00 AM »

Wait a minute Squishy.  Are you bad mouting such luminary classics as IT'S PAT!, A NIGHT AT THE ROXBURY and SUPERSTAR?  You are?  Well good for you!  I've yet to subject myself to these hour and half implements of torture.

I think LETHAL WEAPON was fairly done after the second.  I could stomach the third, but the fourth was just a dagger to the eyes and ears.  "We're not friends, we're family!"  Definitely an evolutionary branch that should die out.  (Some may say that it did have the benefit of introducing Jet Li to Western shores, but has he made a good movie over here yet?  Has he?)

Quentin Tarantino knock-offs are a good example of this.  RESERVOIR DOGS and PULP FICTION and the like were pretty good movies when they came out.  Very representative of the time, but I won't hold that against them.  Unfortunately they were done to death by the time the Hollywood machine was through with them.  How long did they last?  Three, four years?  How long did the film noir period last?  Guy Ritchie has struck up the same vein with a rowdier approach, to good results, but is in danger of repeating himself one time to many.

If only they could come up with quality franchises like POLICE ACADEMY.  Eight movies and a television series, and the well still hasn't run dry.
Chadzilla
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2001, 11:09:03 AM »

Here's a few-

Biggest offender - the Star Wars series, put those babies out of my misery, please.  Mr. Lucas you have NO story left to tell and it shows, painfully.

I haven't been able to muster any interest in watching the current James Bond movies either.

Puppet Master anyone?

The Halloween series without a doubt.  That dog don't hunt.

Others?
Flangepart
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2001, 12:18:07 PM »

Should we include knockoffs of other peoples creations? Or just the series themselves? Indiana Jones and Superman, for example? Why do series like the James Bond things,or, lets admit it,Godzilla, have staying power? I think its best summed up as, COMFORT FOOD FOR THE MIND!  Think about it. The brain likes junk food too, only in a form appropriate to its functionality. The tune remains the same,but the details change. and all that Jazz.  Its mental comfort food, man! what else explains the curse of the sequal? And ,no, greed just takes advantage of the desire for" brain twinkies".......Hummmm, Brain Twinkies! Are you listening, Ken Begg? Good enough for the list?
Steve.
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2001, 03:01:11 PM »

Thank the lucky stars that someone mentioned Mr. Ritchie. I urge all American citizens not to pay good (or bad) money to see the ever worsening Brit. "gangster" tidal wave. They're all crap! We can't make gangster movies for the simple reason that we don't have REAL gangsters, just run-of-the-mill psychopaths who kneecap people who owe them a few quid, and love their mothers.
Abby
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2001, 08:05:45 PM »

The whole "Movie Based on Ancient Yet Popular TV Shows," as launched by Addams Family/The Brady Bunch/Flinstones.

Particularly bad examples include:

Dennis The Menace
Richie Rich
Mr. Magoo
The Beverly Hillbillies
The Little Rascals
Car 54 Where Are You?
McHale's Navy
Guitarwolf
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2001, 10:04:26 PM »

Has Jet Li made a good movie since coming to America? Check out Kiss of the Dragon. If you don't like this movie, you must not like Jet Li. This movie is brutal. As for movies that have been milked, how about
The Crow series? The first one was good, but I gave up after the second one.
The Superman films. Sorry, but I don't want anymore sequels.
Austin Powers, Star Wars, Friday the 13th, Freddy, James Bond, the list can go on and on since Hollywood has given up on originality. I would have said Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, but after reading that John Woo is going to direct and keep it like the original comics, plus making it strictly for adults, I'll give it a try. Variety had an article on this, but I don't have a subscription to their web site, so I was unable to get more info
Guitarwolf
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2001, 10:04:31 PM »

Has Jet Li made a good movie since coming to America? Check out Kiss of the Dragon. If you don't like this movie, you must not like Jet Li. This movie is brutal. As for movies that have been milked, how about
The Crow series? The first one was good, but I gave up after the second one.
The Superman films. Sorry, but I don't want anymore sequels.
Austin Powers, Star Wars, Friday the 13th, Freddy, James Bond, the list can go on and on since Hollywood has given up on originality. I would have said Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, but after reading that John Woo is going to direct and keep it like the original comics, plus making it strictly for adults, I'll give it a try. Variety had an article on this, but I don't have a subscription to their web site, so I was unable to get more info
N. E. Moses
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2001, 11:39:13 PM »

I would like to give another example: The Batman series.

The first two movies were good (The first one damn good).  The third one, however, you could flip Two-Face's coin to see if it was good or bad.  But the last one would make a die hard fan turn his batarang in (Alfred's niece is Batgirl?  That must be some powerful chronic).  After that, you would think the cash cow was all dried up.  But with the making of Batman: Year One, well, we can only hope.
Hairzilla
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2001, 12:47:44 AM »

As much as I hate to say this...I really do...[Because I'm a die hard fan!] the first thought that came to my mind in response to this topic was the "Star Wars" series. I have to agree with not only Chadzilla, [Hey, two 'zillas can't be wrong!] but also with other fans that think 'ol George should just outright stop making any more "SW" films before he does the legend any further damage....and don't even get me started on the "special editions".

While "The Phantom Menace" was a good movie, in a purely fun sense, Lucas all but disregarded some important character AND story continuity that was so carefully laid out within the first series. At the risk of letting my "SW" geekiness show, I offer what I thought was THE prime example:

In "Return of the Jedi" Ben tells Luke how amazed he was upon first meeting Anakin/Vader, and that he "took it upon himself" to train him as a Jedi Knight, thinking that he "could do just as well as Yoda". However, in 'Menace", we're presented with a young Ben who not only completely mistrusts the lil' round headed kid from the outset, but only agrees to train him to honor his teachers' dying request. What?        

Add to that glaring bit of inconsistancy a movie filled with, as a friend of mine once put it "accidental heroics", characters that don't really develop in any significant way throughout the film, a Force that suddenly has a "will" [whaaaaaat?], and....God, I don't think I can say it, but I must....Jar Jar Binks [excuse me while I wretch], and I think it's pretty clear that it's time to call it quits while the fond memories of the original trilogy are still intact.

....Man, I can remember when EVERY "SW" fan I knew was attempting to rationalize the identity of the "other" Jedi Yoda mentions in "The Empire Strikes Back", a bit of dialouge that really only amounted to one, brief moment and had nothing to do with the rest of the movie. THAT was the impact of the original series!.....Now we get Gungans....and Sith warriors that can't see an opportunity to vanquish their opponant when it's hanging right beneath them.....

Don't need nothin' but a good,
                                                                                 Tokyo stompin' time!
Flangepart
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2001, 03:00:54 PM »

Domo Arigato, Hailzilla-san. Must agree with much regret. God...how the mighty have sold out. The new bits in the Special Additions were nice, but not essencial. And Greedo shooting first? PLEASE! The midiclorians are "Force Bacteria?" what up wit dat? And JarJar....Go to Campchaos.com for a shooting game where JarJar blows up real good! To hell with the new stuff. Stick to the novels ( The stackpole and Anderson stuff is prime good), and on that note all i can say is, X-WING forever!
Ringneck
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2001, 04:56:32 PM »

One of the Aboslute worst series of movies was "The Dirty Dozen".  The first one was a great action flick, but come on, by the time the sequels( "The Next Mission" versions) came around Lee Marvin was past retirement age, not a commando!!!!  For crying out loud, him, Savalas, and the MP from the first one were all in WWII in real life.  I felt so sorry for Marvin after those, then I saw Delta Force and I felt rage...................  

ANother good one that was ruined was the First Blood movies.  First Blood was a great movie where they "showed" a micro Viet Nam war (ending with Rambo's own "tet" offensive in the streets of that town) and adressed the Vet's complaints about the war(not letting us win, as stated in Sly's dialog in the police station at the end) rather than those draft dodgers as in many of the movies out at the same time.  THe whole situation was resolved by the end, statment made, no more room for character development.   Then WHAM a bunch of crappy toy selling sequels that while exciting, really should have had featured Sly playing a new character("Captain Jerry Curl" maybey).

Anyone else agree with me?  

On the other side, I think Indiana Jones and Back to the Future have done a good job keeping the series flowwing and interesting.  I dint like Temple of Doom, but its not like it hurt to watch.  

I'm borderline on Planet of the Apes.  By the end the series needed to end, and I'm concearned the new one will really bite the big one, but fingers crossed..........

BradLaGrange
Chadzilla
« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2001, 05:22:56 PM »

Rocky
Hairzilla
« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2001, 11:33:32 PM »

Many thanks, Flangepart, for the link to "Gun Down the Gungan!" Although I'm sorry to report that, after a number of tries, my score is still firmly in the "Bantha Fodder" range, the importance of such a thing is insignificant next to the almost spiritual lift I get from 'sploding that annoying....creature even once! Since you also mentioned the novels, of which the original Timothy Zahn series that made up chapters seven, eight, and nine to [as commissioned by George Lucas] officially end the original story are my faves, I've got three words for ya: GRAND ADMIRAL THRAWN!
Pages: [1] 2
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Movies (present or recent) that have been milked dry « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.