Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 05:06:58 AM
713389 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  THE GHASTLY ONES: Now this is a movie! « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: THE GHASTLY ONES: Now this is a movie!  (Read 2943 times)
Chris K.
« on: July 05, 2001, 11:00:48 PM »

I am pretty sure that all of you have heard me talk about Andy Milligan before. I just finished watching his 1967 film THE GHASTLY ONES, and let me tell you it is a movie!

THE GHASTLY ONES is about three couples going to a mansion on an island to recieve an inheritence. The house is inhabited by two old maids and a hunchback. Soon, people are getting killed one by one and nobody knows whose doing it. Everybody is killed via pitchforkings in the neck, sawed in half, heads on patters, haingings, knifings, etc. You name the deaths, and they are there! Filmed on Milligan's trusty 16mm Acurion camera, this was the third feature Milligan made for Jerry Balsam's J.E.R. Pictures, Inc. The other two were THE DEGENERATES and DEPRAVED! (both 1967). All three were on a budget of $10,000 (not bad, Andy). Though THE DEGENERATES and DEPRAVED! are now "lost", THE GHASTLY ONES has survived obscurity. In fact, J.E.R. later re-issued THE GHASTLY ONES in 1971 on a double bill with their release of THE HEADLESS EYES! In 1978, Milligan remade THE GHASTLY ONES as LEGACY OF HORROR and though it has better camerawork and is more professionaly made, THE GHASTLY ONES is much better.

What makes Milligan's films work is that his films are more based on reality than fiction. His films have characters who victimize each other and in the end it becomes disasterous for all who are involved. The rich hate the poor and middle class, the rich become to greedy and in the end they all get it in death. In other words, Milligan reveals the truth about society and how society has changed and turned people into dispicable bastards who are rude as hell to everybody else. And the amazing thing is, that is how society is today! Believe me, I have experienced it. I have been involved with people who are rude with pride and act as if they are the ones who are "inteligent". And I am talking about regular, American people too! Basicaly, Milligan's films depict the gritty realism in reality and are not cheesy, sugarcoated, in "black and white" features that are made by Disney or Steven Speilberg.

Milligan's films are now getting the respect they deserve. In fact their is a book agbout Milligan called, of all titles, THE GHASTLY ONE. And I am told it is a real shocking book that talks about this man's films and his life! Now if I can just get a copy of it...

Questions or comments anyone?
Abby
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2001, 11:17:42 PM »

Haven't seen Ghastly Ones in a while, but I did re-watch Bloodthirsty Butchers recently. I had a splitting migraine at the time. And you know, if you're already in physical agony -- Milligan's movies aren't half bad!
Abby
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2001, 02:53:44 AM »

By the by, you might enjoy this:

Ghastly Article
Chris
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2001, 03:23:40 PM »

Yes, i've heard of the Ghastly Ones in my Cult Flicks/trash picks movie guide. The film & Milligan sound very interesting. Do you know any companies that sell a decently priced version of the Ghastly?
Abby
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2001, 03:32:31 PM »

Yes, as a matter of fact, I do. Keith at Cinefear has one of the largest Milligan selections available. He also knows the people putting out the new book.

Cinefear's Milligan Collection
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  THE GHASTLY ONES: Now this is a movie! « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.