Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 03:47:42 AM
713389 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Most Overrated Actors Today « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: Most Overrated Actors Today  (Read 7288 times)
Great Sage
« on: July 07, 2003, 02:43:07 PM »

Who are the most Overrated Actors, men and female, of today?  Here are my candidates:

Ben Affleck: His only asset is that obese women like him.

Ashtun Kutcher: He's only making headlines because of his media-crazed relationship with Demi... I don't see any big projects coming his way.

Jennifer Anniston: She's listed at the top of Forbe's List... And I'm still wondering why?  Jennifer's accomplished very little.  Her role on "Friends" is the least interesting character and that carries over to her Movies.

Katie Holmes: I just don't see the talent everyone is so jubilant about.  I also don't think highly of rich kids with movie-star parents who are handed everything and then expect everyone to view them as a star.
Gerry
B-Movie Site Webmaster
Bad Movie Lover

It's not what you say, it's how you say it.

« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2003, 03:25:27 PM »

Kevin Spacey.  Can't stand the man, but the Academy seems to love him.
onionhead
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2003, 03:35:50 PM »

Leonardo deCrappio--shoulda sunk with the boat, really.

Some people like cupcakes better--I for one care less for them
Fearless Freep
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2003, 03:39:36 PM »

Again, who cares?

There are actors I tend to like to see:  Peter O'Toole, Harrison Ford, Tim Thomerson, but for the most part I don't really look at a movie and think "he's said to be a great actor..." and then get disappointed when he fails to live up to it.

I don't spend much of my time going out of my way to dis people who are famous and popular, why bother?  Like they, or their accountants, are going to care anyway, and I'm more intesretd in the character than the actor anyway.

I mean, I like 'bad' movies because I like the movies.  To me 'bad movies' isn't about how '"Resident Evil" sucks' or '"Titanic" was boring'.  It's about "Hey, Trancers is a fun way to waste a few hours" or '"Re-Animator had me laughing'

So I don't tend to dwell on the negative that a lot of other people happen to like.  I tend to dwell on what I enjoy, even if nobody else does

=======================
Going places unmapped, to do things unplanned, to people unsuspecting
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964

« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2003, 04:36:28 PM »

Actually, I think that DiCaprio has evolved from an irritating little punk into a pretty good actor. GANGS OF NEW YORK imptoved my opinion of him (at least for now).

I can't think of many actors that are overrated.

Ben Affleck? Nope. I don't think anyone overrates him. He's an average actor and I haven't heard many people say that he is more than that.

Matt Damon? Ditto . . . but he's a shade better than Affleck.

I think there are a lot of actors who are more FAMOUS than they deserve to be (such as Affleck and Damon), but the ability to draw big crowds at the box office doesn't necessarily equate to how much respect an actor receives. Stallone was a huge box office draw for years. But critics hated him. Hell . . . even the average movie goer hated him. But we all kept paying to see his movies. WHY? WHY?

Now look at him. He has been uncovered for the fraud that he is. He has been reduced to the "direct to video" club. If he had made more movies like ROCKY, and fewer movies like COBRA, he wouldn't be such a bum now.

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
Fearless Freep

« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2003, 04:48:23 PM »

He has been uncovered for the fraud that he is.

What 'fraud' I don't think he ever claimed to be Peter O'Toole doing "Lawrence Of Arabia"?  He was an entertainer that kept people entertained.  Some of his work was decent, some not so, but it's never pretended to be what it's not; a few hours of light entertainment

=======================
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964

« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2003, 05:42:54 PM »

Fearless Freep wrote:

> He has been uncovered for the fraud that he is.
>
> What 'fraud' I don't think he ever claimed to be Peter O'Toole
> doing "Lawrence Of Arabia"?  He was an entertainer that kept
> people entertained.  Some of his work was decent, some not so,
> but it's never pretended to be what it's not; a few hours of
> light entertainment

He is a fraud because he proved how much talent he has (as both an actor and a writer) when he made ROCKY. Then, when he had everyone hooked, he took the easy way out and made one trashy film after another and got paid big money along the way. He's like an athlete who signs a big, multi-year contract and then gets spoiled and arrogant and plays at 50 - 70% of his potential. The sad part is, he COULD be a very good actor. I thought that he had turned himself around with COPLAND, but as soon as he had people hooked again, he continued to make crappy movies. He probably made more money in one year than Peter O'Toole has made in his entire career. The reason he made COPLAND was SPECIFICALLY to promote himself as a serious actor. THAT'S why I say he's a fraud.

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
Fearless Freep

« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2003, 06:15:15 PM »

He's like an athlete who signs a big, multi-year contract and then gets spoiled and arrogant and plays at 50 - 70% of his potential.

No, in that case the the athlete is owed the money no matter what he produces.  In an actor's case, each movie is a different deal and if an actor gets $10M for "Action Hero X" and it bombs, he ain't gonna get $10M for "Action Hero Y".  Stalllone delivered exactly what he was being hired for, and exactly what everyone seemed to want from him

The reason he made COPLAND was SPECIFICALLY to promote himself as a serious actor.

and did anyone going into "Judge Dredd" or "The Demolition Man" not get exactly what they expected?

Sure, maybe he could act a lot better if given the material, but then maybe he was just doing what he wanted to and what a lot of people seemed to want him to do.  It's not like he misled anyone.  I never recall "Rambo" being advertised as a serious dramatic look into cold war super power relations

He may have wasted his talent in what he could deliver, but he never misled people about what he was delivering

=======================
Fluffy
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2004, 05:03:08 PM »

OK, at the risk of being hated by the world,

Sean Connery!

If he's such a great actor, how come his characters are all the same? I can't stand him.
trekgeezer

We're all just victims of circumstance

« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2004, 08:12:19 PM »

Hey, Stallone made quite a few good popcorn movies.  Most of the 80's was popcorn movies. I think Demolition Man is one funny movie. Everything with Rambo after First Blood  (actually it was tame compared to the book and the colonel killed him at the end ot it) was too stupid for words. I don't know how they did them with a straight face. But , Burgo is right about the fact that Stallone has wasted a lot of pontential over the years.  

I don't think Affleck is touted as a great actor, Damon definitely has better chops.  

I personally think Colin Farrell is way overrated. Don't get me wrong he is really good in certain parts, but playing Alexander the Great (reminds me of John Wayne as Ghengis Khan).

I also think  Tom Cruise is overrated. To me he is always Tom Cruise in every part he plays.

I think we should discuss underrated actors, like William H. Macy.

And you thought Trek isn't cool.
Fearless Freep

« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2004, 08:56:02 PM »

Sean Connery!

If he's such a great actor, how come his characters are all the same?

Perhaps another way to look at it is that he happens to play a good character and happens to play it well.

Some characters are just great characters...Dirty Harry, for example, or Marty McFly, and while we may think that a given actor has to work too hard to do it because in some ways he *is* that character, it's still to his credit if he can do it very well in a way we like.

Sure, Connery's "Ramirez" (Highlander) is pretty much the same as Connery's "Bond" but, hey, it's a great character to begin with a Connery happens to do it very well and it's fun to watch that 'character' even in different settings.  Witness the difficulty in follow-on actors trying play Bond.  Think of Tim Thomerson (Scanners, Dollman) playing Ramirez

=======================
blkrider
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2004, 10:14:20 PM »

I like some of the actors like the aforementioned William H. Macy, but I haven't seen much that is special in most of the big-time actors who have come on the scene within the last 10-15 years.
Master Blaster
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2004, 12:44:27 AM »

Tom Hanks. Friggin bastard. Sure he can act but I'm just sick of looking at him. OK maybe that doesnt count.
peter johnson
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2004, 01:25:35 AM »

One of the best acting teachers I ever had -- Wiley Harker(Did a lot of films in the '40's.  Most recently as the D-Day vet. in David Lynch's "The Straight Story") -- made a point of elucidating how in the old days it was more important to create a Persona for films than it was to be a "true" actor.  He knew them all, and his point was that John Wayne, Henry Fonda, Jimmy Stewart, etc. etc., never talked or acted the way their "character" did when there were no press around watching.  They very carefully cultivated their voice and their walk & spent as much time creating their off-screen character as their on-screen one because the public wanted "Personalities", not serious artists.
Connery has been very very good in some dreadful films, and he can stretch, but his decision to put a bit of Connery into every thing he does is a conscious choice, I think, as he is giving the public what they want, and this goes back to the old-school way of being a star.  Check him out in "The Man Who Would Be King" or "The Name of the Rose" to see how well he can do himself.  Ditto Jimmy Stewart in "Flight of the Phoenix", which is coming as an unnecessary remake.
I like Colin Farrell too -- but any great actor is capable of giving a dreadful performance if the direction & other factors are working against them.  Didn't like Farrell in "Alexander"?  Check him out in "Intermission", a fine low-low budget Irish film that he worked on for scale while he was also shooting the grandiose thing for Stone.  Now available on DVD . . .
peter johnson/denny crane
Wence
« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2004, 12:45:55 PM »

the german actor Till Schweiger
I don´t like his films and his roles - in spite of finding him a sympathetic person
(I just can´t see this face anymore!!!)
I think he´s totally overrated

I am sure that only 0.5% of all movie-fans will agree to this:  
Tarantino is a real F***FACE as actor
and an a***ole as director (may he be an extraordinary one)
Pages: [1] 2 3
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Most Overrated Actors Today « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.