Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 05:38:37 PM
713368 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Continuity errors « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Continuity errors  (Read 4751 times)
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« on: July 08, 2003, 11:47:42 AM »

I just read the thread about the continuity error at the end of THE TERMINATOR, so I thought this would be a good topic of discussion. What are some of continuity errors that you have noticed in movies? Here are a few:

* THE GREAT ESCAPE - Donald Pleasence goes into the escape tunnel wearing colored socks (they are gray or blue . . . I can't remember). When he comes out at the other end of the tunnel, he is wearing white socks.

* THUNDERBALL - During a big underwater fight scene, James Bond's diving mask changes color from black to blue and then to black again.

* THE BREAKFAST CLUB - During the scene where the principal has a discussion with the janitor, there is a file cabinet with a card on the front of one of the drawers. It is one of those cards where you would write what is in the drawer (for example, if it were an alphabetical file cabinet, you might write "A to D"). In one shot, the card is tilted at an angle. In another shot, it is perfectly straight.

* ANIMAL HOUSE - Donald Sutherland writes "Satan" on the blackboard. When the camera changes angles, "Satan" is still written on the board, but in a slightly different place.

* HUMANOIDS FROM THE DEEP - There is a scene where one of the characters has blood on his shirt. When the camera changes angles, the blood stain is a different size and shape.

Okay . . . let's see how many others we can list.

Post Edited (07-08-03 11:50)

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2003, 12:12:06 PM »

Mitchell - the smashed headlight that comes and goes.

An obscure Filipino Mad Max ripoff, called W, actually has a villain with a goatee that comes and goes.

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
Fearless Freep

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2003, 12:12:09 PM »

There's the pretty obvious and well known one in "The Empire Strikes Back" when Han Solo is about to be frozen.  Close ups of his conversation with Leia show his vest on,  pulled back shots do not.

I've seen a lot, I just don't really remember them or think much about them.

I remember in "Time Runner" there were closeups and far away shots of Mark Hammil landing an airplane where the background in the close up shots didn't match the terrain in the pulled-back shots.

The ones that amuse me the most are not just shot to shot continutity errors but errors where the film was edited together slight out of order and characters act on events that haven't happened yet

=======================
Going places unmapped, to do things unplanned, to people unsuspecting
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2003, 12:18:45 PM »

Fearless Freep wrote:

> The ones that amuse me the most are not just shot to shot
> continutity errors but errors where the film was edited
> together slight out of order and characters act on events that
> haven't happened yet
>

That reminded me of Star Trek: The Motion Picture. Chekov is burned in Vger's attack, and Ilia goes to his assistance. We cut over to a conversation between Kirk and his officers, in which we can clearly see the back of Ilia's bald head at her post behind him. Then we see Ilia leaving Chekov to return to her post.

Does anybody know if this was fixed in the Director's Edition? I might have to get it out and have a look.

Post Edited (07-08-03 13:40)

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
Fearless Freep

« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2003, 12:25:06 PM »

I also like when scenes are shot out of order and something that happens in shooting an earlier scene requires changes to the script that invalidates something that occurs later in the movie timeline that was already filmed.

=======================
Going places unmapped, to do things unplanned, to people unsuspecting
Flangepart

« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2003, 12:32:16 PM »

Gorgo: The destroyer attack on Gorgo's mom. We see the bridge crew of the can that she sinks. Then later on, we see "Another " tin can attack....and the close up is of the same crew! They put the shots in out of sequance.
Also, the sequance is of a British destroyer doing the deed, but we see American blue jackets running for the bow gun turrets. Match the stock footage,lads!

"Aggressivlly eccentric, and proud of it!"
Chadzilla
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2003, 12:34:54 PM »

Most films are shot out of order - exteriors on one day, interiors sometimes at a different location entirely, so continuity slips.

Beverly Hills Cop - Two gun men flee a house.  When they get outside, one is now wearing a shoulder holster.  After they leave the porch, the holster is gone.

Basket Case 2 - Duane comes down a flight of stairs that lead into a foyer, his love interest pulls him into the kitchen to talk, there his shirt magically changes from powder blue to biege.  When the scene ends, Duane exists the kitchen and his shirt returns to being powder blue.

Vampires - During the opening, when the team first arrives at the house, James Woods is not standing where Daniel Baldwin is supposed to be looking at him.

In Dr. Strangelove there is a buffet table stacked with pies for a pie fight that never occurs.

Chadzilla
Gosh, remember when the Internet was supposed to be a wonderful magical place where intelligent, articulate people shared information? Neighborhood went to hell real fast... - Anarquistador
The Burgomaster

« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2003, 12:53:44 PM »

Chadzilla wrote:

> Most films are shot out of order - exteriors on one day,
> interiors sometimes at a different location entirely, so
> continuity slips.

Yes . . . but it is the job of the continuity person to keep track of what people are wearing, where they are standing, etc. so that continuity DOESN'T slip. I can understand small errors, but when people aren't even wearing the same clothing from one shot to the next, someone was asleep on the job!

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
Chadzilla
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2003, 01:33:00 PM »

I was just explaining the nature of how such errors occur.  Sometimes people are asleep at the wheel, other times it is just the chaotic nature of the production itself.

The Untouchables - Sean Connery's shirt collar magically opens and closes during a dialog scene.

Chadzilla
Gosh, remember when the Internet was supposed to be a wonderful magical place where intelligent, articulate people shared information? Neighborhood went to hell real fast... - Anarquistador
The Burgomaster

« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2003, 01:43:44 PM »

Wow . . . I forgot about The Untouchables . . . the entire theater noticed that error when I went to see it during its original theatrical run. That one was really noticeable.

There is also a continuity error in TWINS. I can't remember exactly what it is, but during a scene where Danny DeVito & Arnold Schwarzenegger are in the men's room, something in the background (a roll of paper towels or something) magically disappears.

The Burgomaster

« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2003, 01:54:42 PM »

And we are all forgetting the scene in Spider-Man, where Spidey saves Mary Jane from a bunch of thugs. He tosses one thug through a window, breaking the glass. Then, they show a close-up of Mary Jane with the window in the background. Magically, it is no longer broken.

Post Edited (07-08-03 13:56)

Ash

23 Year Badmovies.org Veteran

« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2003, 03:18:04 PM »

An obvious one is in Commando after Arnie pushes the damaged Porsche back onto all 4 wheels and the door is magically repaired as the car drives away!
The Burgomaster

« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2003, 04:42:26 PM »

This one appeared in MST3K:

In EEGAH, Mr. Miller is having his face shaved by his daughter. In the close-up, most of the shaving cream is gone, but in the medium shot, half of his face is still covered in shaving cream.

wickednick
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2003, 05:38:11 PM »

There are some famous mistakes in the Wizard of Oz.One of the biggest is that Dorthys hair changes length through out the picture.

Smells like popcorn and shame
Goon
« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2003, 06:54:45 PM »

Or the lamp he smashes while trying out his webs, that returns intact to the background.

------ooo-'U'-ooo-------Kilroy was here.

Pages: [1] 2
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Continuity errors « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.