Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 03:40:48 AM
713387 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  A thought-provoking question « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: A thought-provoking question  (Read 2154 times)
ErikJ
Bad Movie Lover

« on: July 09, 2003, 05:07:26 AM »

Now I know many of you have seen The Time Machine (1960). A friend and I were discussing it at work and he came up with a great question. At the end of the film our hero, George, returns to the past. He collects a few things and then travles back to the future. Among the things he takes are 3 books, what these books are doesn't matter.

The question I have is putting yourself in his situation what 3 books would you take to the future?
I am almost at a loss as to what ones I would take.

If God is watching us, the least we can do is be
entertaining.

ad
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2003, 07:00:09 AM »

1) How to build a civilisation for Dummies
2) "Das Capital" by Karl Marx
3) How to build anything out of anything - the book that the A-Team and MacGyver swear by
Conrad
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2003, 07:10:51 AM »

Hmm.  
1)  The Collected Works of A.C. Doyle
2)  King Solomon's Mines
3)  Little Dorrit.
Reasons? Well, the books are only there for entertainment for the Time Traveller, helping to pass the time (so to speak) as he travels to the past/future, en route to finding the *really* important books/tools/miscellaneous artefacts that the Eloi need.

Crouching Tiger - Hidden Police Speed Trap
Mr_Vindictive
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

By Sword. By Pick. By Axe. Bye Bye.

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2003, 08:18:53 AM »

1. Fight Club-Chuck Phalanuik-By far one of the most amazing works of fiction I have ever read.  Perfectly portrays the 90s in all of it's glory.

2. Stupid White Men-Michael Moore-Just to show the future civilization how stupid our society and government really could be.  I think they would be amazed.

3. The Bible-Hey, I'm not going to hell.

A bald man named Savalas visited me last night in a dream.  I think it was a Telly vision.
Neville

« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2003, 11:26:08 AM »

Knowing me, they would be all crime novels. And that could cause lots and lots of trouble. I think it was the first "Star Trek" series, that in one episode they showed a civilisation based on such literature, and it resembled Chicago in the 30s.

Due to the horrifying nature of this film, no one will be admitted to the theatre.
Evan3
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2003, 12:59:58 PM »

I would bring the
Bible
The Ultimate Marvel Universe (Everyone needs imagination and heroes)
The Constitution or Maxim

My friend would bring
The last three Harry Potter boks

"Sir, if you were my husband, I would poison your drink."

--Lady Astor to Winston Churchill

"Madam, if you were my wife, I would drink it."

--His reply
ErikJ
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2003, 09:16:00 AM »

A friend of mine suggested a dictionary and an almanac. The dictionary so that while she was learning their lanuage they could learn hers. The almanac so she could show how much the world has changed and maybe spark them to explore their world just a bit more.

If God is watching us, the least we can do is be
entertaining.

dean
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2003, 11:49:44 AM »

personally, it would be the good ol' sports almanac, go back in time, make a squillion so that when, later in life, when you build a time machine, you'd have enough money to buy whatever bloody book you'd like :D

but on a different note, it would be amusing to see how a future civilisation's reaction to a medical journal would be [i seem to remember the doc from star trek bagging out 'modern day' medicine when they travel back in time to get some whales or what not]
Susan
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2003, 06:26:09 PM »

Well since the "future" in that particular movie was very primitive I would definately bring along a medical book including information on how to make your own medicine. Some kind of "everything" book that answers all kinds of questions about the earth and the universe and..Kama Sutra? ;-)

Dunners
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2003, 06:26:13 PM »

thats a great Q.... three books only though...hmmm......

hmm..... well....s**t :P

save the world, kill a politician or two.
Scott

Hey, I'm in the situation room ! ! !

« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2003, 12:34:01 AM »

Seeing that you all ready have a time machine and you are able to go to the future, I'm not sure you would need any books. I can't think of anything that would be important enought to read from that technological vantage point. No doubt you could right your own book. Kinda like Marco Polo or something.

Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  A thought-provoking question « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.