Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 01:26:57 AM
714307 Posts in 53091 Topics by 7741 Members
Latest Member: SashaHilly
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  A race to answer this I bet « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: A race to answer this I bet  (Read 1651 times)
Evan3
Bad Movie Lover

« on: July 16, 2003, 01:04:17 AM »

Forgive my ignorance... but I am confused as to what the Evil Dead trilogy is supposed to go.

I have only seen the Evil Dead ( I will see the others later) and I loved it, furthermore, I thought (my girlfriend thought more so) that it was scary.

I have recently learned not only is Army of Darkness a mockery of the first film (which I had always known, but so is Evil Dead 2. I also heard Evil Dead 1 was a dud at the box office and is a bad horror movie.

What is the real story and whyu would Sam Raimi do this to Evil Dead??

"Sir, if you were my husband, I would poison your drink."

--Lady Astor to Winston Churchill

"Madam, if you were my wife, I would drink it."

--His reply
Brother Ragnarok
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2003, 02:33:31 AM »

Raimi and all involved hold the Evil Dead trilogy dear and don't lampoon it at all.  Evil Dead 2 is a sequel/remake of the first one with a bigger budget because Evil Dead did better than expected and they made enough to do it again with some real funding.  It's lighter on the serious horror and heavier on the "Looney Toons possessed by Satan" type slapstick, but it still rocks.  Army of Darkness was made with a real studio budget and is less an indie film than the big boys wanting to cash in on someone's good idea, but it picks up right where Evil Dead 2 left off.  It's all about the one-liners and the slapstick violence, but in no way does it lampoon or make fun of the other films in the series.  It's just an evolution, and a damn fine one I must say.

Brother R

There are only two important things in life - monsters and hot chicks.
    - Rob Zombie
Rape is just cause for murdering.
    - Strapping Young Lad
Mr_Vindictive

By Sword. By Pick. By Axe. Bye Bye.

« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2003, 07:47:32 AM »

Evan,

Although I almost loathe Evil Dead 2 (didn't do anything for me), I absolutely love Army Of Darkness.  Doesn't have much to do with the first two except for the fact that it has the Necrinomicon and Bruce and it takes off where the second one stopped.

It has some great bits and lines.  Especially when Ash has to find the evil version of himself.  Great stuff.  

I say shell out some cash and buy all three flicks asap.  Evil Dead is the best in the series, natch, but the other two are worth owning.  Just don't expect to be blown away by Dead By Dawn.

A bald man named Savalas visited me last night in a dream.  I think it was a Telly vision.
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964

« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2003, 08:42:36 AM »

I wouldn't say that EVIL DEAD was a dud at the box office. I don't know how much money it made, but it was a low-budget film that only got a limited distribution, and appealed to a very limited audience. It must have made a profit because it was made on such a low budget. You can't compare it to major theatrical releases . . . it is in a completely different category.

I saw it during its original theatrical run, and the theater was pretty crowded.

As for it being a "bad" horror movie . . . ABSOLUTELY NOT! It is MUCH better than just about every big-budget horror film that has come along in the past 20 years. I think that it is imaginative and scary (while maintaining a sense of humor, which is a tough balance). I give it 3 1/2 out of 4 stars.

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
SkullNinja
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2003, 10:23:04 AM »

<<>>

According to the IMDB, Evil Dead cost 150k and grossed 2.4m. That's 16X the investment and we aren't even talking television, cable and video/dvd revenue. Hollywood wishes they could get returns like this. Evil Dead a dud? Nope.

Sam was going for something different with ED. Lets face it, most of the horror that Hollywood churns isn't actually scary. Some of it is just a lot of special effects and perhaps interesting to watch (Thriteen Ghosts and House on Haunted Hill, the remakes, come to mind), but not actually scary. ED is scary and creepy.

I wouldn't say that any of the three are mockeries. Tongue-in-cheek, but not outright parody.
Mr_Vindictive

By Sword. By Pick. By Axe. Bye Bye.

« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2003, 12:09:46 PM »

You saw ED during it's theatrical run!?

If only you could see the envy coming off of me!

LOL

A bald man named Savalas visited me last night in a dream.  I think it was a Telly vision.
Rob Phillips
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2003, 12:59:47 PM »

Evil Dead

Released in US January 1, 1983
Total US Gross $2,400,000

Evil Dead II

Released in US March 13, 1987
Total US Gross $5,923,044

Army of Darkness

Released in US February 19, 1993
Total US Gross $10,526,905
US Distributor Universal

Source
http://www.the-numbers.com/movies/indexA.html

Rob
Drezzy
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2003, 11:42:31 PM »

An ode to EVIL DEAD's horror ability:

A few months ago, I was over a friend's house. There was about 12 people in total, 3 guys. All three of us loved the Evil Dead Trilogy, and idolize Raimi and Bruce. One of us had the original on DVD in his car. He popped out FEARDOTCOM (which I had to explain to one of the girls that THE RING was not a rip-off, nor a remake, of), and put in EVIL DEAD.

During the movie, when Ash has to go down into the cellar to look for something (I forget what, but I do believe it to be the Necronomicon), he falls down the steps. By this point in the movie, the girls jumped and screamed, frightened. Why? Suspense.

That is what EVIL DEAD has over almost every horror movie since: excellent suspense.

And as the world began crumbling down
Nobody around seemed to care
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  A race to answer this I bet « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.