Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 06:19:31 PM
714242 Posts in 53092 Topics by 7736 Members
Latest Member: ShayneGree
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  A Few More Westerns « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: A Few More Westerns  (Read 1259 times)
Scott
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Hey, I'm in the situation room ! ! !

« on: July 19, 2003, 11:38:48 PM »

THE GUNS OF FORT PETTICOAT (1957) - Audie Murphey helps a bunch of women fight off indians. The women are tougher than the star in this one. The Indians even kill off half the women, which was rather surprising. Not a great film, but surprising.

TRIBUTE TO A BADMAN (1956) - Stars James Cagney as a mean ruthless land baron. I only seen about 30 minutes of this film, but it had my attention right away. Cagneys character is a brutal man. I'll catch the rest when I can.

HORSE SOLDIERS (1959) - I seen this one when I was about 8 years old and wanted to see it again. This is a very good film if you like John Wayne and the Calvary. William Holden also stars in this film. Well, since I really enjoyed this one I guess I'll have to see FORT APACHE and SHE WORE A YELLOW RIBBON again. Its been years since I've seen these films.

THE LONG RIDERS (1980) - My father in-law had just seen a biography about Jesse James, so we watched THE LONG RIDERS. The first time I seen this film I thought it was awesome. It's still very good, but it has lost some of its effect. That last bank robbery is something when you first see it.

ONCE UPON A TIME IN THE WEST - Thats right I seen this one again. Before my father in-law go back home next month I'm trying bring in all the best Westerns since he likes them. This one hasn't lost its appeal. Especially the beginning and end of this film.

BoyScoutKevin
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2003, 03:17:26 PM »

Seen the ending of "The Guns of Fort Petticoat" and the beginning of "Tribute to a Badman," but seen neither one all the way through.

"The Long Riders" Haven't seen it, but the conceit in thiis one, is that the brothers in the film are played by actual brothers. The Youngers by David, Keith, and Robert Carradine; the Jameses by James and Stacy Keach; the Millers by Dennis and Randy Quaid; and the Fords by Christopher and Nicholas Guest.

"Once Upon a Time in the West" Seen it. Never could cotton to it.

"The Horse Soldiers" This is my favorite of those listed. One of the few films to deal with the Civil War east of the Mississippi and based upon the real life incident of Grierson's cavalry raid through Mississippi in 1863. As an added note, Lukey, the black maid in the film, was played by tennis great, Althea Gibson.

Enjoy all the films.

The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2003, 12:59:25 PM »

LONG RIDERS - A very "watchable" western, with some excellent shoot outs. It has some "believability" problems though. For instance, James Remar as Sam Starr was a REAL casting stretch. But I've seen this at least 10 times and one thing I can say is it is NOT a boring movie.

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
Neville

« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2003, 10:35:36 AM »

I liked "The long riders", but I don't think it makes it to my personal western top-ten. It is well-acted and reasonably fast-paced, but somehow it missed the main target, because I didn't learn as much about the characters as I expected. The Northfield robbery scene would have save it if it wasn't so similar to the opening of "The Wild Bunch". Of Walter Hill's westerns based on actual characters I think "Wild Bill" is far better, at least for the inspired non-chronological structure and Jeff Bridges' stunning performance.  

BTW Scott, have you seen "Ride with the devil"? I rented the DVD some months ago and I thought it was very good.

Due to the horrifying nature of this film, no one will be admitted to the theatre.
Scott

Hey, I'm in the situation room ! ! !

« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2003, 10:50:23 PM »

Yes, I seen it a few months ago. About the Civil War troop that goes on a rampage of murder and such. Strong film. Well done.

Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  A Few More Westerns « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.