Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 03:14:26 PM
713360 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Winchester '73 (1950) « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Winchester '73 (1950)  (Read 2210 times)
Scott
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Hey, I'm in the situation room ! ! !

« on: July 23, 2003, 10:58:37 PM »

WINCHESTER '73 (1950) Starring Jimmy Stewart is a good one. I couldn't get into Stewart in at first, but he grows on  you. He spends most of the film looking for the man who took his Winchester rifle. Well, that is not the only reason he's chasing him. This film also has a young Shelly Winters, Tony Curtiss, and Rock Hudson. Dan Duryea plays his character well. This is suppose to be a pivitol film for the Western genre. Check it out you'll like it.

The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964

« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2003, 08:41:29 AM »

I liked the beginning of this movie. The shooting contest was great. After that, I thought it became very "average." I am a big Jimmy Stewart fan, but I didn't think this was one of his best movies. Here are my recommended Stewart films:

THE MAN WHO SHOT LIBERTY VALANCE

ANATOMY OF A MURDER

MR. SMITH GOES TO WASHINGTON

REAR WINDOW

THE MAN WHO KNEW TOO MUCH

There are a lot of other good ones, but those are my favorites.

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
Ken Begg
B-Movie Site Webmaster
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2003, 05:11:35 PM »

Stewart is, in my opinion, the greatest American film actor.  Anatomy of a Murder and It's a Wonderful Life are probably his two best performances.

Winchester '73 is a terrific film, and has a place in film history.  The producers couldn't afford Stewart's acting fee, and he thus became the first actor to take a piece of the gross.  Stewart made zillions and actors have been grabbing part of the gate ever since.
The Burgomaster

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2003, 05:53:12 PM »

Ken Begg wrote:

> Stewart is, in my opinion, the greatest American film actor.

I think he is definitely one of the greatest. He's right up there with:

* Spencer Tracy
* Marlon Brando
* Paul Newman
* Dustin Hoffman
* Robert DeNiro
* Al Pacino
* Gene Hackman

It's just a shame that Stewart ended his career with movies like AIRPORT '77.

I guess even the mighty can fall . . .

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
Scott

Hey, I'm in the situation room ! ! !

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2003, 10:25:30 PM »

Well, I've seen IT'S A WONDERFUL LIFE, REAR WINDOW, and some of MR. SMITH GOES TO WASHINGTON. Memorable actor for sure. THE MAN WHO SHOT LIBERTY VALANCE is on my list of films to view.

I didn't like the way WINCHESTER 73 played around with Wyatt Earp. Making him a crusty old guy in Dodge City when that was before his days in Tombstone. I was surprised to see Shelly Winters as the woman. The film is also filmed in a place that I visited around Easter time just outside Tucson, Arizona. All the location shots were very familiar even after 50 years. The old west town there burnt down, but they rebuilt it. Its called Old Tucson Studios. When you go don't forget to go to Big Jakes restruant inside of Old Tucson Studios for some of the best ribs you can buy.

Ken Begg
B-Movie Site Webmaster
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2003, 10:52:30 AM »

Well, of the people on your list, only Newman and Tracy could do comedy as well as dramatic roles.  And neither as well as Stewart did.  Actors seldom have that versatility any more.  So I'm sticking with Stewart.

Here's probably the strongest part of my argument:

Mr. Smith Goes to Washington
Destry Rides Again
Philadelphia Story
It's a Wonderful Life
Winchester '73
Harvey
Rear Window
Vertigo
Anatomy of a Murder
Man Who Shot Liberty Valance

Those are his outright classics, and each (except for Philidelphia Story and Man Who Shot Liberty Valance) is built around his performance.  To those you can add at least a couple of dozen extremely fine movies.
The Burgomaster

« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2003, 01:37:03 PM »

Ken Begg wrote:

> Well, of the people on your list, only Newman and Tracy could
> do comedy as well as dramatic roles.  And neither as well as
> Stewart did.  Actors seldom have that versatility any more.  

I think you are forgetting Dustin Hoffman, who was hilarious in movies like THE GRADUATE and TOOTSIE. And Paul Newman in SLAPSHOT. And Gene Hackman who was very funny in THE BIRDCAGE and HEARTBREAKERS. Etc., etc.

I can't really say that Stewart was an extremely versatile actor. 99% of the time he played basically the same role: the mild-mannered, likeable, "every man."

But he's still one of my top 5 favorites.

I'd say that Dustin Hoffman probably has the overall highest talent level of the group, followed by Paul Newman, Marlon Brando, and the Stewart coming in as a close #4.

BoyScoutKevin
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2003, 03:53:32 PM »

Also with Stephen McNally, Millard Mitchell, Charles Drake, John McIntire, Jay C. Flippen, and Will Geer as Wyatt Earp.

This would be Tony Curtis' 9th film and Rock Hudson's 6th.

Another great western. It would be remade some years later with Tom Tryon and Dan Duryea in the cast.

Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Winchester '73 (1950) « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.