Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 06:25:22 PM
714349 Posts in 53094 Topics by 7741 Members
Latest Member: SashaHilly
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  silly movies or shows that scared us as kids V2.0 « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: silly movies or shows that scared us as kids V2.0  (Read 5399 times)
mr. henry
Bad Movie Lover

« on: July 24, 2003, 12:04:06 PM »

i posted this thread a year ago and it was a lot of fun (it also broke 100 replies). i meant to condense the replies down and post that. unfortunately my computer crashed and i lost the info. not only that, there are tons of new people on the board and it will be fun to see their replies.

like last time, i'll start off with the fact that when i was little i was scared by the Brady Bunch episode where the boys are trying to scare the girls out of using the attic. a trunk opened and a goofy ghost rose out of it. a tape recorder played something along the lines of "it's hot. it's so hot." i don't know whey that scared me but it did.

AND

my sister got so scared at disney's Fox and the Hound that she literally threw her drink into the air. luckily it landed in the aisle. it was the part where one of the characters surprises another one hiding in a hollow log.

Post Edited (07-24-03 19:29)

"to be is to do" - Socrates
"to do is to be" - Jean-Paul Sartre
"do be do be do" - Frank Sinatra
- kurt vonnegut

AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2003, 12:27:27 PM »

When I was a kid, would you believe an Irwin Allen monster scared the crap out of me?

It was the episode of Lost in Space with the Golden Man. Simple plot - an ugly froglike alien and a smarmy golden-skinned alien bring their war to the planet. Gold guy charms Dr. Smith into handing over all of the weapons (as if he needed them), then turns into a hideous red alien with a distorted face, and reveals his eeeeevil plans. The moral: don't judge a book by its cover.

I covered my eyes when this alien came on. I had trouble getting to sleep that night because I couldn't get that face off my mind. Scared the living snot out of me.

I saw the episode again, a few years ago, and wondered how a guy in a crappy papier mache head scared me at all. I've seen Mardi Gras masks scarier than this thing.

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2003, 01:44:40 PM »

When I was a kid, I used to watch the SOUPY SALES SHOW on television.

Soupy had a pet dog, which was really a guy in a fluffy suit. I think that all they ever showed were his arms or something . . . never the whole body. Anyway, every time the "dog" came on, I would get really terrified.

And the damn show was a COMEDY!

What the hell is wrong with me????

Post Edited (07-24-03 17:04)

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
George
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2003, 03:55:26 PM »

The Night Stalker....he looked like my uncle.

A comercial for Indianapolis Public Water Systems.  The commercial was basically a picture of a guys head that turned very slowly to the song "Aquarius" from HAIR.  Just very freaky.
mr. henry
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2003, 04:31:01 PM »

OH, I forgot the worst one when i was little.

the local PBS station had a show sorta like mr. rogers. only it was a woman who read stories and stuff. anyway, once per episode she'd leave her house and the camera would linger on the empty room. then, slowly, someone in a pink bunny costume would enter and go through her things. then it would leave. the woman would look around and ask the viewers "was someone here?" damn that creeped me out.

- kurt vonnegut

The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964

« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2003, 05:09:56 PM »

There was also an anti-drug abuse public service announcement that they used to show on television when I was around 7 or 8 years old. It showed a hippie with a syringe shooting heroin into his arm. The announcer made a short speech about how a drug habit can grow until it is out of control. During the speech, the hippie's syringe kept getting bigger and bigger (through time-lapse photography). At the end, the syringe was about the same size as the hippie. The hippie would then fall on the floor as if he were dead. That used to really scare me when I was a kid.

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
Evan3
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2003, 08:26:25 PM »

Man

I was scared by Stephen King's It at 8 years old, something so scary about a child eating clown who can come out of showers or drains. Worse of all, your parents dont believe he exists (they never do!!!!)

I also was very scared by Pee Wee Herman as a child. Talking chairs and he himself was a scary guy with his pale ghost like face.

I also got scared of the classic Twilight Zone Episode "terror at 20,000 feet," where Shatner sees that gremlin on the wing and when he looks up, there it is pressed against the window. Now it looks like a guy in an oversized parka. Geez it scared me.

Last thing, was my grandma's house, it was a big dark, old person's Victorian style hose with awful furnioture. I dont know, but my mom would always forget something downstairs at night and send me down the creaking stairs in the pitch black darkness. Geez.

"Sir, if you were my husband, I would poison your drink."

--Lady Astor to Winston Churchill

"Madam, if you were my wife, I would drink it."

--His reply
Susan
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2003, 11:03:27 AM »

That androgenous puppet on Mr. Rogers always gave me the willies

Sorry I don't know how to place an image in here - but i think it was prince tuesday? I never watched the show but whenever i happened to flip by and that puppet was on....

CLICK HERE TO SEE IMAGE

Post Edited (07-26-03 18:20)
mr. henry
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2003, 03:38:53 PM »

...i think it might have been Madam Friday...that puppet made me uneasy too...the ruddy cheeks...the long nose...(shudder)...

- kurt vonnegut

BoyScoutKevin
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2003, 04:13:43 PM »

Movies don't scare me. Television scares me even less, but, there have been times I have been scared.

"Robin Hood" w/ Richard Greene.
The episode in which they were supposedly in a haunted castle, and there was a scene of a man supposedly beheaded by a executioner in a black hood. I still remember that one, after all these years.

"Shirley Temple Theater"
The "Rapunzel" episode. Where the husband goes into the witch's garden, next door, because his pregnant wife has a craving for rapunzel. I think it was just the expectation that something would happen, that scared me so bad.

And a bit later.

"Star Trek"
My first episode. The one with the salt monster that sucked all the salt out of the human body. That episode scared me so bad, it put me off of "Star Trek" for years.

"The Twilight Zone"
My second episode. The one where the three-armed Martian meets the three-eyed Venusian in the roadside diner. There again, that episode scared me so bad, it put me off of "The Twilight Zone" for years.

Susan
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2003, 06:17:09 PM »

>>...i think it might have been Madam Friday...that puppet made me uneasy too...the ruddy cheeks...the long nose...(shudder)...<<

Maybe...I didn't watch the show enough to know  but if it was supposed to be a male you wouldn't know by the demeanor and voice and if it was to be a woman..well the short hair and sheer ugliness..lol  Overall creepy factor: 9.8
The kind of nightmare i would fully expect to see standing on top of me when I pulled back the monster-proof covers

Then again the idea of puppets always gave me the creeps. To this day I have a disturbing distaste for commercials that portray any inanimate object as alive (including that ones that show talking sandwhiches and burgers) egads!

Post Edited (07-26-03 18:19)
ErikJ
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2003, 10:46:29 PM »

For me it was Wizzo the Wizard on Bozo's Circus. The way he acted always freaked me out. Now that the show is gone I feel silly about it.

If God is watching us, the least we can do is be
entertaining.

Lossenelin
New Visitor

« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2003, 11:41:34 PM »

The Dark Crystle - Dam those are some scary muppets.

Ash

23 Year Badmovies.org Veteran

« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2003, 02:01:42 AM »

I remember when I was very young in the 70's watching the old Star Trek episodes.

I remember that the volume was always turned up and in the intro of Star Trek when the Enterprise whooshed by it would always startle me!

Keep in mind that as a kid I always sat about 6 inches from the screen.

You know the intro....."Starring William Shatner"  WHOOSH! (goes the Enterprise)

"Starring Leonard Nimoy"  WHOOSH !!!!!!

For some reason the WHOOSH of the Enterprise coming at me scared the hell out of me!

It doesn't anymore Thank God!

haha!

Post Edited (07-27-03 02:03)
Ellie
« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2003, 02:12:43 AM »

I remember a scary movie that scared the heck out of me. I asked readers about it once before but no one could help. It was back in the 60's. It was about these creatures that flew around. They looked like feather-covered lamp shades and they would go down over a persons head and when they came back up the persons eyeballs would be entirely white. They sounded like sirens. My mom said that after that Id run inside screaming my head off when sirens went off. I would love to discover if this was a movie or what. Thanks.
Pages: [1] 2
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  silly movies or shows that scared us as kids V2.0 « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.