Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 07:29:16 AM
713394 Posts in 53059 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Are cable shows taking over network TV??? « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Are cable shows taking over network TV???  (Read 1841 times)
Wes Schwartz
« on: July 24, 2003, 02:40:05 PM »

I think the change is upon us and it is undeniable that in a few years network sitcoms and drama shows will cease to exist.  Street Time, Sopranos, Six feet Under, Sex in the city ect... are the topic of conversation at water coolers and copy machines everywhere.  There is no more Cosby show and must see TV  has been replaced by Showtime and HBO's "Sunday's..."

Take Street Time on Showtime.  First off, last season was the bomb and this year they are doing what should be done on cutting edge shows by adding in music to the episodes... er, uh so I heard.  The last Roots show I was at this dude told me they were gonna be on Street Time which is just making a phat show better.  I don't even watch too much TV but for sure I am not missing the premier on August 6th.  I was checking out www.showtime.com and the street time link definitely got my juices flowin.  

Although I hate Sex in the City, Sopranos is a can't miss.  When are they coming back on the air?
Aaron Weissman
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2003, 02:51:36 PM »

The Roots are incredible and their involvement with the cable take over of network tv is so profoundly positive that it makes me sweat.  I've heard of the show Street Time but, thought that it was cancelled because the viewing public wasn't with it.  I'm really pumped to hear that it'll be airing soon and that there's some interest out there.  HBO has accomplished some interesting things in the past five yrs or so, basically since The Sopranos started getting attention.  Its nice to see Showtime getting involved with the pushing of the envelope.  Cool Wes, hope people watch it and get the word out.  August 6th you said ?
Fearless Freep
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2003, 05:37:39 PM »

Don't have HBO or Showtime so I haven't seen any of the shows you are talking about.  I work at home now but when I worked in an office building, nobody every talked about TV shows, except maybe as to how dome reality shows were, for a few minutes

=======================
Going places unmapped, to do things unplanned, to people unsuspecting
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2003, 05:44:32 PM »

My only hope is that "reality" shows like Survivor and Joe Millionaire disappear as soon as possible.

I'd like to see variety shows make a comeback. When I was a kid, stuff like "Rowan and Martin's Laugh-in," "Sonny and Cher," "Flip Wilson," and "The Carol Burnett Show" were really popular. Even "Saturday Night Live" was about 1,000% better back in the 1970s. I'd love to see some quality shows that have comedy skits, stand-up routines, musical acts, and guest stars.

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
jmc
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2003, 08:48:34 PM »

I don't see variety shows coming back--there are too many of genres of music, comedy, etc. for them to appeal to a general audience anymore.  

I think the cable shows taking over are great--they don't have to worry about advertising and the lowest common denominator.
JohnL

« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2003, 03:12:43 AM »

Anyone notice that the first two posts in this thread came from the same source?
Ash

23 Year Badmovies.org Veteran

« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2003, 04:21:19 AM »

Well Well....

It seems you have a......SPLIT.........PERSONALITY!!!!!!!!! (in true Dr. Evil form)

lol!!!!
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Are cable shows taking over network TV??? « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.