Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 02:27:03 PM
714369 Posts in 53095 Topics by 7742 Members
Latest Member: KathleneKa
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Most overplayed commercials on TV right now « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: Most overplayed commercials on TV right now  (Read 8205 times)
Ash
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

23 Year Badmovies.org Veteran

« on: July 27, 2003, 08:31:48 PM »

It seems there are a few commercials that get played at least 100 times per hour on God knows how many different networks.

The Arby's commercials with the "Oven Mitt" character are driving me INSANE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I want to see Oven Mitt thrown into an oven and hear his muffled screams from inside it.

Or maybe I'd put him down the garbage disposal in the sink.  
That would be a fitting end to him.

Another commercial is the Mitsubishi SUV one with the kids in the backseat watching SpongeBob Square Pants.  

It's driving me crazy!!!!!!!

I'm to the point now where I mute the TV whenever a commercial break comes on and force myself to look away.

I used to change the channel but most commercial breaks take place at the same times on different networks so when I do change the channel there's commercials on that network as well!

It seems that I can't get away from TV ads.....maybe I'll just have to stop watching TV.

AAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You know, I never used to mind TV ads.  But now more than ever I'm feeling their constant bombardment upon me and it's really starting to get to me.

Do any of you feel this way?

What are the most overplayed commercials you can think of that are on TV right now?

Post Edited (07-27-03 20:53)
Scott0
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2003, 09:37:53 PM »

I like Quiznos commercials in small doses. I think they are funny at times, but when I see them every break, I want to run at the screen with a brick. And often they are played so much that when I change the channel, I see the exact same commercial a few seconds off from each other. That is a bad thing.

Kangaroo Jack #1 in the box office? Let the revolution against Hollywood begin.
wuggles451
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2003, 10:30:14 PM »

i remember a Quiznos comercial where a woman ate the sandwitch outta the trash. gross. then another where the chef is making a sandwitch without anypants on... i dont think i am gonna ever eat at a Quiznos ever.

Apostic
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2003, 01:24:49 AM »

(1) An ad for WebEx was getting an unsettlingly large amount of airtime on Fox News.  This is the one with Lily Tomlin doirng her old Ernestine the telephone operator character.  I think this commercial was produced by someone who must've either hated that character or didn't understand how or why it worked.  Tomlin's just plain creepy in this.  I mean Freddy Krueger creepy, and I don't mean that in a good way.  Astoundingly annoying, too.  Damn thing used to play about two - three times a half hour.  Haven't seen it recently.  Good riddance.

(2) And then there are these ads for Sprite.  They used to have a good ad campaign saying that image was nothing, but recently they've turned to this image laden series of ads with scratch DJ's and tricked out cars with hydraulic lifts as examples of rebellious individualism.  These might've been a bold and daring images of individuality and rebellion about twenty years ago, but now it's out of touch.  It's rebellion as envisioned by somebody who hasn't rebelled in a looooong time - if ever.  Late night/very early morning, these ads would play maybe three or four times an hour on the Cartoon Network.  Result: I stopped watching the Cartoon Network latenight for a couple of weeks.  I haven't seen those ad's lately, but now they've been playing in commercial sets before movies in theaters.  As if the crap they preview wasn't annoying enough.

regards,

Apostic
lester1/2jr
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2003, 02:04:32 PM »

1. Petmeds.  

My favorite ad is the ADT add where the bald smashes the window and the mom and the two kids run upstairs.
Ash

« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2003, 02:30:42 PM »

I just caught that ADT ad the other night when the guy is trying to break in and the mom rushes her kids upstairs and lock themselves in the bedroom while the cool and professional ADT customer service representative calls the police.

They intended it to be serious but it comes off as funny!
I don't know exactly why I laughed at it but I did.

And the Petmeds ads....AHHH!!!!

They have a new one now but do any of you remember the first one?
There was that lady with the long curly red hair and she gave the most twisted evil look and says, "I saved time and money."

She gave me nightmares.

Post Edited (07-28-03 14:32)
raj

« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2003, 03:27:33 PM »

that damned singing "Thank you for. . ."  Gaa, I can't stand that ad!

And, of course Carrot-freaking-top is still on the air.

Fortunately Michelin has gotten rid of the "you must want babies to die if you don't use our tires" ads.
onionhead
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2003, 04:41:50 PM »

And good riddance to the Comcast ad with the Alfred Molina lookalike  : "What noise?"--"You know , the eeeeeeeee-errrrrrrrrrrh-AAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHH!  God I hate that noise."
About the only character I would personally like to execute.

Some people like cupcakes better--I for one care less for them
Fearless Freep

« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2003, 04:55:00 PM »

I have a standing policy that I do not use companies whose ads annoy me.

This includes commercials that have overtly annoying characters but also commercials the have sill tag lines that sound cool but really make no sense ("CNN...now, more than ever") and *especially commercials that show some idiot getting in trouble that needs a given product or service to get out of the mess they're in.  The implication I take from that is that the company thinks I'm an idiot, too.

=======================
Going places unmapped, to do things unplanned, to people unsuspecting
lester1/2jr
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2003, 05:00:11 PM »

The Onion made fun of those carrot top ads a while ago.  something like no one in the ad department remembered hiring Carrot Top or thinking up that "dial down the middle" business
lester1/2jr
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2003, 05:02:12 PM »

that adt ad is nothing but a warped sexual fantasy.  The burgular is obviously the gimp of the so called mother.  The kids were possibly kidnapped
NightFlight
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2003, 01:01:25 AM »

I would have to agree that  the Oven Mitt commercials are the most overplayed.  It's pretty sad that Arby's has to resort  to an oven mitt as a mascot to sell their food.  And  it's pretty sad that the people in the commercials are even talking to an oven mitt.  I think they all need a reality check, and a vacation from the job.  Yes, the oven mitt needs to be thrown into the oven so we can all hear him scream, "I have no ears, I have no nose, I have no mouth, I no longer have a contract!"
Ash

« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2003, 02:54:01 AM »

hahahaha!

That was f**kin' great NightFlight!

Just what I needed to hear...er....read!

Post Edited (07-29-03 02:58)
Susan
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2003, 06:18:54 PM »

It's rare I watch commercials, I've flipped or muted them for the past several years. Due to their:

1. Abundancy..there's almost an equal number of minutes for commercials as the actual show your watching.
2. Repetativeness (often they repeat consecutively)
3. The fact that commercials are set to have a higher volume so as to blast in your face and grab your attention.
4. Lastly but not leastly, they are invading my sanctuary (the theater) - a safehaven I always thought I could go to get away from it all

Plus I sometimes hate the fact companies even have to advertise. I mean some products are optional..they're luxeries. Others you are going to buy no matter what - I really don't need anyone to try and sell me toilet paper or tampons...or talk about how good plastic is.

Does anyone have TiVO? does that thing block commercials? :)

Post Edited (07-29-03 18:20)
Ash

« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2003, 07:01:39 PM »

Go here to read more about Tivo:

http://entertainment.howstuffworks.com/framed.htm?parent=product-placement.htm&url=http://www.tivo.com/0.0.asp

I'd consider getting it if it weren't so darn expensive.
Pages: [1] 2 3
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Most overplayed commercials on TV right now « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.