Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 03:21:16 PM
714317 Posts in 53092 Topics by 7741 Members
Latest Member: SashaHilly
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Misleading DVD (and video) cases « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: Misleading DVD (and video) cases  (Read 5789 times)
kriegerg69
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2003, 02:03:21 PM »

The Burgomaster wrote:

> Wal Mart did not change the HULK box art . . . the distributor
> did. I have seen the same boxes in many stores, including Best
> Buy and Circuit City.

Yeah....I said the same thing above three hours before. Where do people get these ideas that it was Wal-Mart's fault?

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
"Mein Führer! I can walk!!"
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2003, 02:39:12 PM »

kriegerg69 wrote:

> Where do people get these ideas that it was Wal-Mart's
> fault?

I think Wal-Mart would be in a lot of trouble if they decided to create their own packaging for copyrighted material.

Just for the record, I bought the HULK DVD, but I knew what I was buying, so I'm not upset about the packaging.

I worked in a video store back in the 1980s. People used to come in all the time and rent movies that LOOKED or SOUNDED like current theatrical releases. Then they would come back and complain.

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
Chojin
« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2003, 06:33:53 AM »

Ha, I'm happy to see jackie Chan movies listed.

There were a whole bunch of them that came out at once trying to sell you on Jackie Chan in movies he wa sonly in for about 5 or 6 minutes.

Rumble in Hong Kong: Jackie Chan is featured on the cover and touted as the star of the flick when he's really just a thug who is in the movie for about 2 minutes.

Killer Meteors: Same crap, except he's a villain ina  wheelchair who doe snothing the whole movie,never fights, then dies. Amazing!

Fantasy Mission Force: Same story, though he's in this movie for 15 minutes.

Theres a bunch more as well.

Dun forget all the Bruce Li, Bruce Le, Dragon Lee etc.. movies which all featured the real Bruce Lee on the cover, even in their US theatre releases(Few of which got any).

Vermin Boy
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #18 on: August 05, 2003, 11:01:51 AM »

Yeah, but Fantasy Mission Force makes up for it by being the best war movie EVER. :)

-Vermin Boy

My site: The Vermin Cave
My band: The Demons of Stupidity
?????: ?????
Dolph Lundgren
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #19 on: August 05, 2003, 03:11:45 PM »

LOL, if Seagal came back to save the day in Executive Decision, it would automatically catapult the movie into classic status.  C'mon, every one of you knows that you would've gone crazy in a good way if it turned out Seagal somehow held on or landed on a huge mattress which saved his life.  And then at the end of the movie, Seagal comes back and whispers some one-liner before saving the day.  From a b-movie perspective, this would've been tremendous.  Unfortunately, the makers of the movie didn't seem to think so.  

Notice the trend of Jackie Chan and Bruce Lee movies on these lists.  Just goes to show that you really have to research and know what you're looking for before buying Bruce Lee and Jackie Chan DVDs.  Otherwise, you'll buy a DVD entitled 1000 Ninjas with Fingers of Extreme Death, starring JACKIE CHAN, only to realize that it actually has Jalal Merhi in the starring role, and it's directed by Albert Pyun.  And it was only purchased because it had the word ninja on the cover.  I can't count how many times this has happened to me.

Nick
Matt Hill
« Reply #20 on: August 05, 2003, 03:26:33 PM »

Then there's always the 1979 Screamers. The cover has a big red zombie on the front and there is no sight of a zombie in the flick.
darkautumn
« Reply #21 on: August 07, 2003, 10:19:53 AM »

Along these lines, has anyone ever picked up a movie and popped it in only to find it's a TOTALLY different film from what's described on the packaging? Some years back, I snagged a copy of Regal Video's "The Revenge of DR. X, " which, according to the description and credits on the box, made it out to be a retitling of "The Mad Doctor of Blood Island" (it made sense since Regal had issued "Brain of Blood" and "Brides of Blood" from the same studio under new titles.) I was pretty excited, having not seen this movie for years. I put it in as soon as I got home, and prepared myself for a real viewing treat. Imagine my surprise, when following some newly created video-generated credits (which WERE the correct cast and crew for MDOBI!) and some cheesy synth music, the actual movie turned out to be "Venus Flytrap" or "The Double Garden" or whatever it's called (the Ed Wood-scripted venus flytrap monster movie that takes place in Japan.) I sat there dumbfounded for about two-thirds of the film (which is as slow moving as they come) before I just got so enraged I shut it off. It was several years (and my acquisition of an actual print of "Mad Doctor") before I could even bring myself to pick up that tape. Man. Anybody else have a similar experience?
ad
« Reply #22 on: August 07, 2003, 11:32:56 AM »

I think the most misleading film I ever rented was "Naked Killer 2" - she wasn't naked and she wasn't a killer.
yaddo42
« Reply #23 on: August 07, 2003, 06:53:11 PM »

Similar things to what darkautumn posted about different movies under the title of a better known flick.

The box to my VHS copy of "My Name Is Nobody" lists the cast of the supposed "sequel" film "Nobody's The Greatest/The Genius/multiple other titles" including Miou-Miou, Patrick McGoohan, and Klaus Kinski rather than the cast of the real film. When I bought it I hadn't seen the film in probably ten years but was sure that none of these people were in the first film. I ws right but it threw me for a few minutes. Still haven't found the second one which I want to see since I love spaghetti westerns.

Weirder, once when I was still in high school, I came home early one afternoon and turned on the TV to Lifetime while looking for an afternoon movie. Now this was before they went to a firm "TV for women" format. Their choice of movies was broader, they had a nighttime talk show hosted by Richard Belzer, and they showed mostly unedited surgical films on Sundays. Anyway they claimed to be showing "Terrorvision" next, which I was looking forward to because I had seen parts of it on there before but never all of it. The film we all know and love (or loathe) started but in the middle of the opening credits the picture changed to very cheap video-generated titles for another movie called "Terrorvision" with a different cast. I thought it was a cool gimmick in the movie, but they showed a very bad anthology horror film shot on video that featured stories ripped off from old episodes of "Tales Of The Unexpected" "Tales From The Darkside" and the "Twilight Zone". Only without the wit, gore, talent, or charm. The only one I remember involved a man trappinging his adulterous wife and her lover in the meat locker of a restaurant and when he went in to gloat and savour his handywork after they froze to death the tampered with door trapped him as well. Oh ho, the irony. It wasn't clever the first time I saw it on "Tales Of The Unexpected" as a kid on late night TV. Lifetime aired regular commercial breaks so the signal wasn't hijacked or crossed. they never aired the movie again, and the IMDB has been a dead end in trying to find out what movie it was. No names from the credits stuck in my mind to look them up and horror anthology movie pop up like dandelions.
Scott
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Hey, I'm in the situation room ! ! !

« Reply #24 on: August 07, 2003, 09:57:36 PM »

MY NAME IS NOBODY is one of my all time favorite movies and I would love to see THE GENIUS. Haven't seen My Name is Nobody in more than 20 years Yaddo.

Evan3
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #25 on: August 10, 2003, 07:17:25 PM »

I own the movie Crocodile done by Nu Image and on the cover is a girl who  is fleeing a crocodile.  The girl on the cover is not on the movie at all. It must be tough to get on the box of a B movie, but not in the movie itself.

"Sir, if you were my husband, I would poison your drink."

--Lady Astor to Winston Churchill

"Madam, if you were my wife, I would drink it."

--His reply
NEC
« Reply #26 on: August 10, 2003, 08:33:36 PM »

yaddo said - <>

Cool to know that I'm not the only one that remembers when Lifetime would show those surgical films.

Anyway, there's this movie w/ Alan Rickman called 'An Awfully Big Adventure'. I bought the LD for cheap on a closeout several years ago, on on the back it's marketed as a comedy, and really it's this completely screwed up drama.
AD
« Reply #27 on: February 03, 2005, 11:55:44 AM »

The worst midleading DVD/video cover I ever saw was for the movie:  "Naked Killer 2"

In my IMDB review I put simply this;
"She's not naked and she's not a killer".

Pfft.
Gerry
B-Movie Site Webmaster
Bad Movie Lover

It's not what you say, it's how you say it.

« Reply #28 on: February 03, 2005, 12:31:44 PM »

The worst one I have is for Guillermo del Toro's excellent CRONOS.  On the cover you see the head and naked shoulders of a blond woman with her head cast back and the CRONOS device on her breast.  No such woman ever appears in the film, and the only person to use the device is an elderly Spanish grandfather. Not exactly the same thing.  Great movie...terribly misleading boxcover.
Ozzymandias
« Reply #29 on: February 03, 2005, 08:41:08 PM »

I wish I had a dollar for everytime I saw a video box with Jack Nicholson's face on it as the star of  Little Shop of Horrors .  You also see John Travolta's face on Devil's Rain .   Weirdest one is Roger Moore on a video of Last Time I Saw Paris . I guess Liz Taylor wasn't big enough of a star to be on the cover. LOL
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Misleading DVD (and video) cases « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.