Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 08:56:55 AM
713332 Posts in 53056 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Most difficult actors to work with « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Most difficult actors to work with  (Read 45315 times)
Ash
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

23 Year Badmovies.org Veteran

« on: August 03, 2003, 02:39:03 PM »

I'm sure you've all heard stories of actors demanding this and that on the set.

Actors who are like babies and make a scene until they get what they want.
Or they're just plain pricks because it's in their nature and they've always been that way.

For example:  
I read that while filming the 2001 movie "The Score", Marlon Brando refused to be on set at the same time as director Frank Oz.  It said that Brando referred to Oz as "Miss Piggy" (Oz did the voice of Miss Piggy on the muppet show) and would tease him with lines like "Don't you wish I was a puppet, so you could control me."  Robert DeNiro was forced to direct Brando instead with Oz giving him instructions through a headset.

It's this kind of behavior I'm talking about.

Any other actors you can think of who you've heard are particularly difficult to work with?
Tranquil Featherman
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2003, 02:50:05 PM »

I heard that Liv Tyler was IMMPOSBLE to work with on the set of Peter Jackson's ( disaster ) Lord of the Rings trilogy. She was SO hard to get along with that scenes were cut from the origional print in order to put HER into MORE scenes! So, the movies SHOULD be renamed Liv Tyler Plays and Elf -  part I, II & III

Robot Roll Call: (Come on, let's go)
Cambot (Pan left)
Gypsy (Hi girl)
Tom Servo (What a cool guy)
Croooow! (You little wisecracker)

Deej
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2003, 02:56:23 PM »

Brando is notoriously difficult to work with. James Dean was reportedly hard to work with on Giant, not getting on well with Rock Hudson or George Stevens. Supposedly he whipped out little jimmy and relieved himself in front of the entire company for a scene.

Alan Ladd was difficult to work with, not always because of his behavior, but because of his size. Ladd was only a few inches over 5 feet tall and being a movie tough guy in the 40's required he be taller than his leading ladies. So directors were challanged with ways of making Ladd seem less diminutive. They dug trenches for other actors to stand in and actually put Ladd on a box. I've watched closely and I've never seen a scene with Alan ladd and his leading lady  in close proximity in which you can see their lower bodies.

John Barrymore when not passed out drunk or chasing the script girl, often had to use cue cards that were pasted all over the set.

Everyone has potentially fatal flaws, but yours involve a love of soldiers' wives, an insatiable thirst for whiskey, and the seven weak points in your left ventricle.

DJ
Ash

23 Year Badmovies.org Veteran

« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2003, 03:00:15 PM »

I've also heard that Edward Norton can be extrememly moody and will not perform if he isn't feeling just right.
Dunners
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2003, 03:47:59 PM »

Gene hackman, I read about his actions on 'the quick and the dead" , so sam had to spend a good 20 minutes to get him to do what he was suppossed to.

all he had to do was exit a bar tip his hat to a guy and sit down in a chair.

save the world, kill a politician or two.
Deej
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2003, 04:43:07 PM »

Y'know, people underestimate the difficulty of hat tipping. I've worn many hats in my day, and just as there are many hats, there are many hat tipping styles. Hackman's a method actor, he probably just wanted to get a feel for his character's motivation for the tipping O' the hat. And as for the sitting down bit, well...don't get me started.

Everyone has potentially fatal flaws, but yours involve a love of soldiers' wives, an insatiable thirst for whiskey, and the seven weak points in your left ventricle.

DJ
Evan3
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2003, 04:53:38 PM »

I have always assumed that Russell Crowe was one tough guy to work with. He seems difficult in real life and it leads me believe he would be awful to work with  as well.

"Sir, if you were my husband, I would poison your drink."

--Lady Astor to Winston Churchill

"Madam, if you were my wife, I would drink it."

--His reply
Conrad
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2003, 05:23:30 PM »

I know that Val Kilmer and Bruce Willis are difficult to work with (not through personal experience, you understand!).  If a director isn't top-notch, they can dominate the film in ways entirely unwanted (e.g. "Dr.  Moreau", "Bonfire").  However, if the director is either ruthless, aggressive or brilliant - or a combination of these factors - Val and Bruce can pull the stops out (e.g. "Heat", "12 Monkeys").

Given that it is now possible to replace an actor entirely with CGI (e.g. Oliver Reed, "Gladiator"), the days of tantrum-throwing stars exploiting their uniqueness may be on the wane ...

Crouching Tiger - Hidden Police Speed Trap
jmc
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2003, 11:58:54 PM »

Klaus Kinski has to be the all-time champion...check out Werner Herzog's MY BEST FIEND for evidence.  The tribemen extras in FITZCARRALDO asked Herzog if he wanted them to kill Kinski....and there is one story about Herzog forcing Kinski back to the set at gunpoint during the shoot for AGUIRRE, but I think that story has been exaggerated over the years.
Neville

« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2003, 11:10:42 AM »

Heard a great story about the young Dennis Hopper. He was doing this movie with Henry Hathaway, a director with a bad attitude as well (somebody who worked with him in Mexico, I think, said that the studio had this plane waiting on the airport just for the people he fired and had to return to the U.S., and they called it "The Hathaway Plane", just imagine). So Hopper was deliberately behaving like a rebel-without-a-cause during the whole shooting without Hathaway saying a thing.

Then Hathaway booked the whole morning of the last day to shoot a scene with Hopper. And everytime Hopper finished, he would ask him to do it again and again, but without telling him what he exactly wanted (if he wanted anything at all, that is). Young Hopper was reported to start crying and shouting the stone-faced Hathaway: "Just tell me how you want me to do the scene!!" for the whole morning.

Due to the horrifying nature of this film, no one will be admitted to the theatre.
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964

« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2003, 11:25:44 AM »

I heard that Steve McQueen caused a lot of headaches. He was very arrogant and would often show up on the set several hours late, messing up the shooting schedule.

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
JohnL

« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2003, 07:20:58 PM »

Sean Young is rumored to be a b***h.
Vermin Boy
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2003, 09:27:43 PM »

Geez... You've gotta be a stone-cold psychopath to be able to dominate a crying, screaming Dennis Hopper!

-Vermin Boy

My site: The Vermin Cave
My band: The Demons of Stupidity
?????: ?????
D
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2003, 01:00:51 PM »

I've heard that Lucy Liu and Bill Murray HATE one another after shooting Charlie's angels
Fearless Freep

« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2003, 06:44:29 PM »

I've heard that Lucy Liu and Bill Murray HATE one another after shooting Charlie's angels

I'd sotra be interested in knowing why.  Bill Murray strikes me as the type that rarely seems serious even when he's trying to do something seriously, which I think could infuriate somebody who was actually trying to take things seriously.

=======================
Going places unmapped, to do things unplanned, to people unsuspecting
Pages: [1] 2
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Most difficult actors to work with « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.