Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 04:18:23 PM
713364 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Actors who made a successful transition « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Actors who made a successful transition  (Read 2071 times)
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« on: August 06, 2003, 10:36:14 AM »

Many actors & actresses start out making movies (or television shows) in certain genres (such as comedy, action, etc.), but are able to successfully transition to other genres where you would never expect them to be successful. Some examples are:

* TOM HANKS in the TV series "Bosom Buddies," and then in a series of movies that were all comedies. Now, he is also a respected dramatic actor.

* ROBIN WILLIAMS in the TV series "Mork & Mindy," plus stand-up comedy, plus a series of movies that were comedies. Now, he is also a respected dramatic actor.

* ROBERT DENIRO in movies like "Mean Streets," "Taxi Driver," and "The Godfather, Part II." Now, he stars in the occasional comedy, such as "Meet the Parents," and "Analyze This."

Who are some others that come to mind?

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
kriegerg69
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2003, 10:47:56 AM »

Started his career as a dramatic actor and leading man....and for almost 25 years now has been a very successful comedic actor!

"I've never been more serious in my life....and DON'T call me Shirley!"

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
"Mein Führer! I can walk!!"
Kirk
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2003, 11:29:23 AM »

But Tom Hanks was so much better as a silly comedy actor.  I'll take "Bachelor Party" over "Forrest Gump" anyday.  

I see too many funny actors crashing and burning when they try to do serious films.  Jim Carey, Roseanne, Robin Williams, stick to what you do best.

Kirk

(and Robin, you farking comedy thief, get back on the white pony.  You were much funnier when you were coked to the gills.)
Dolph Lundgren
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2003, 12:04:59 PM »

I might get laughed off of the board for this, but I thought Van Damme did a great transition from his usual b-movie action fests to an actual acting role in Replicant.

I guess you could say Pierce Brosnan came from practically out of nowhere to become one of the best Bonds, and to save the franchise.

Nick
Bernie
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2003, 12:32:04 PM »

How about Shatner?  Like Leslie Nielsen, he went from drama (no cracks now!) to comedy, quite successfully.
Fearless Freep

« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2003, 12:43:18 PM »

Unfortunately, much of Shatner's comedy (see Airplane 2) is sorta self-mocking

He actually seems to be showing up  more in the last year, from Sci-Fi channels "Full Moon Fight Night" to playing judge of a talent show in a C&W video ("Celebrity").  I caught him last night in a movie on Sci-Fi (didn't see much of it, just that he was in it...something about aliens)

=======================
Going places unmapped, to do things unplanned, to people unsuspecting
The Burgomaster

« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2003, 01:02:40 PM »

Kirk wrote:

"Jim Carey, Roseanne, Robin Williams, stick to what you do best."

I must respectfully disagree with the Robin Williams portion of your response. He is an excellent dramatic actor.  His performances in THE DEAD POETS' SOCIETY, GOOD WILL HUNTING, and ONE HOUR PHOTO were top-notch.

I think that Jim carey COULD make the transition, but he isn't there just yet.

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
Fearless Freep

« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2003, 01:13:25 PM »

Yeah, as far as Robin Williams you can argue that you don't like him going from comedy to drama if you want, but you can't really say he hasn't done it successfully and with good results.  Same with Tom Hanks

=======================
Going places unmapped, to do things unplanned, to people unsuspecting
George
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2003, 11:11:52 AM »

Robin Williams in One Hour Photo top notch?!?!?!?!?

I have to disagree.  The film would have been soooo much better with someone a bit more......Max Cady....if you will.  Robin Williams did great in Good Will Hunting and I'll even give him props for The Fisher King, but he needs to stay with the comedies.

WHY MUST SO MANY ACTORS TRY TO DIVERSIFY???  WHY NOT JUST BE HAPPY BEING GREAT AT WHAT YOU DO??  (YES, THIS IS DIRECTED AT YOU MR. CAREY)
The Burgomaster

« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2003, 11:16:40 AM »

George wrote:

> Robin Williams in One Hour Photo top notch?!?!?!?!?

Yes . . . I think Robin Williams turned in a RIVETING performance in ONE HOUR PHOTO. He was perfect. Max Cady was more of a hardened psychopath; not the right choice for the character in ONE HOUR PHOTO. Robin Williams played the mild-mannered clerk just about as perfectly as anyone could have.

BoyScoutKevin
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2003, 02:38:32 PM »

Dick Powell. From song and dance man in countless movie musicals to dramatic actor as Marlowe in "Murder, My Sweet."

And, while we're talking about Robin Williams, let us not forget his role as Osric in Kenneth Branagh's unabridged version of "Hamlet." A little bit comedy, a little bit drama, and probably the biggest surprise in the film.

NEC
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2003, 08:51:57 PM »

Diane Keaton has always been able to go back and forth between drama and comedy.
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Actors who made a successful transition « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.