Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 10:35:26 AM
713409 Posts in 53060 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  What happens when you're in space without a suit? « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: What happens when you're in space without a suit?  (Read 3217 times)
Jim Hepler
« on: August 06, 2003, 02:33:32 PM »

I remember there was a discussion about what happens to you when you're in space without a suit - somehow related to Fortress 2 - on these boards a long \time ago.  I can't seem to find the thread though.  I also seem to remember a link saying you WOULD NOT blow up or have you innards excreted or any of those other horrible things.  Anyone help me out with that?
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2003, 02:37:13 PM »

I think you would just be exposed to massive doses of radiation, and probably some severe skin burns if you were exposed to the sun.

That is my uneducated guess. Please correct me as you all see fit.

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
Tranquil Featherman
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2003, 03:25:55 PM »

Either what Burg said OR!! ......you would be transformed into some horrible space mutant drippy thing and wander through a small town eating everybody. That's what I think would happen.

Robot Roll Call: (Come on, let's go)
Cambot (Pan left)
Gypsy (Hi girl)
Tom Servo (What a cool guy)
Croooow! (You little wisecracker)

The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964

« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2003, 04:10:16 PM »

Tranquil Featherman wrote:

> Either what Burg said OR!! ......you would be transformed into
> some horrible space mutant drippy thing and wander through a
> small town eating everybody. That's what I think would happen.
>
Actually, that happened to THE INCREDIBLE MELTING MAN . . . and he was inside his ship!

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
Dave:Blackeye15
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2003, 04:37:50 PM »

You'd SO suffacate because there's no air in space. DUH!

-the first rule of fat club-
Ash

23 Year Badmovies.org Veteran

« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2003, 05:20:48 PM »

I keep thinking of the scene in "Mission to Mars" when Tim Robbins character removes his helmet in space and his head instantly freezes.

Yikes!

Post Edited (08-06-03 17:21)
Gerry
B-Movie Site Webmaster
Bad Movie Lover

It's not what you say, it's how you say it.

« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2003, 06:42:04 PM »

Ellie
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2003, 12:57:28 AM »

I asked my husband this question and he said you would freeze to death.It makes sense to me. Would you be floating around as one big block of ice? Brrrr.
ad
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2003, 04:09:19 AM »

I thought you implode - or is that only in deep space?
Neville

« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2003, 05:27:19 AM »

Nothing, if you are Christopher Lambert. Lol! In real life, I guess that apart from suffocation you would either freeze to death or burn like a candle, depending on how close you were to suns or sunny zones (heard temperature can rise to 200ÂșC there).

Due to the horrifying nature of this film, no one will be admitted to the theatre.
Conrad
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2003, 07:01:30 AM »

You don't instantly go Pop!, fry, freeze or turn into Disgusting Space Mutant.  Given time, you'd asphyxiate before you'd freeze; the human body is very warm compared to space and that heat takes time to vanish.  Your eardrums might rupture, the surface of your eyeballs freeze, and your blood might "boil" in your veins, not to mention severe sunburn thanks to unmediated UV radiation.

All told, you could survive a minute or two and feel very poorly afterwards.  Longer than that and your prospects aren't good, buddy.

NB I think Arthur C Clarke wrote a story based around this idea.

Crouching Tiger - Hidden Police Speed Trap
Fearless Freep

« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2003, 08:46:55 AM »

From want I heard, "Event Horizon" actually got it right

=======================
Going places unmapped, to do things unplanned, to people unsuspecting
Andrew
Administrator

I know where my towel is.

« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2003, 04:52:33 PM »

That old thread might well have been on the original board.  I remember posting to it.  I do still have the backup, but it is just one big database.

In any case, Gerry's post should have it right.  Exposed water on your body can begin to boil (sweat, mouth, maybe your eyes).  Being in the sun would be bad.  The bends would be a very real threat.  And, finally, I remember reading that it causes swelling of the body's surface tissue - they thought you might end up with a full body bruise.

Andrew Borntreger
Badmovies.org
JohnL

« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2003, 11:41:02 PM »

Likewise, people in a decompression tank that loses pressure wouldn't explode, although their lungs would probably rupture from the sudden change in pressure.
wickednick
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2003, 02:18:50 AM »

Im kinda surprised no one knows this, so I will educate you all. Space has no oxygen,no outside pressure,and temperatures can very greatlly dpending on were you are.So the question is "what would happen if you were in space with no suit?" Well  your blood would boil and you would explode in a matter of seconds.You see in space there is no atmospheric pressure, so the boiling point for liquids is very low, also your internal body pressure would cause you to blow up.You wouldn't have much time to suffacte or freeze to death.
So why do movies always seem to get this wrong?Well mostly for the purpouses of keeping caracters alive and to influnce the movie ratings.Event Horizon is probably the only movie I have seen that has goten it the most right, although the guy would have blown up in a few seconds instead of the minute or more that he was out there.

Smells like popcorn and shame
Pages: [1] 2
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  What happens when you're in space without a suit? « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.