Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 02:46:06 PM
714369 Posts in 53095 Topics by 7742 Members
Latest Member: KathleneKa
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Great Saturday morning TV shows « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: Great Saturday morning TV shows  (Read 6993 times)
SkullNinja
« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2003, 01:26:22 AM »

Big John, Little John and The Monster Squad.
BoyScoutKevin
« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2003, 01:40:35 PM »

You guys are just babes in the woods. All those shows are after my time. I am old enough to remember watching . . .

Beany and Cecil
Captain Kangaroo
Journey to the Center of the Earth
The Lone Ranger (the animated version)
Mighty Mouse (the original)
The Pink Panther and the Inspector

on Saturday mornings.

NEC
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2003, 10:33:20 PM »

Jason Of Star Command and basically any live-action that Filmation did
Any Krofft
Basically any liveaction shows were great

As far as animation -
Batman (Filmation)
Tarzan
Superfriends
Godzilla Power Hour
Blackstar (pre-He Man blueprint)

There's more, but I just can't think of it right now.

Post Edited (08-19-03 13:29)
Jamtoy
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #18 on: August 18, 2003, 11:03:28 PM »

Here are the shows that my wife grow up with on Saturday:

Kid Video
Kids Incorporated ( before it moved to Disney)
Isis
Ark II
Bugs Bunny
Godzilla

Seven years on MacGyver and you cannot figure this out? We got belt buckles, shoe laces, and a piece of gum. Build a nuclear reactor for crying out loud.  You used to be MacGyver, MacGadget, MacGimmick, and now you are now 'Mr. MacUseless'.
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #19 on: August 19, 2003, 10:54:50 AM »

Boy Scout Kevin wrote:

"You guys are just babes in the woods. All those shows are after my time. I am old enough to remember watching . . .

Beany and Cecil
Captain Kangaroo
Journey to the Center of the Earth
The Lone Ranger (the animated version)
Mighty Mouse (the original)
The Pink Panther and the Inspector

on Saturday mornings."

I remember these shows very well (see my list at the top of this thread).

Also - what about:

* FANTASTIC VOYAGE (a GREAT cartoon)
* THE BEATLES
* THE OSMOND BROTHERS (can you believe they actually had a cartoon????)
* ULTRA MAN (the original, live action series - I think this was on Saturday afternoons or maybe even Sunday mornings)
* KING KONG
* CHARLIE CHAN AND THE CHAN CLAN
* HONG KONG PHOOEY

And then there was CLUTCH CARGO (animated people with live-action lips superimposed on their faces . . . very disturbing). Also, here are some other shows. I think I watched some of them on weekdays rather than on Saturdays:

* KIMBA, THE WHITE LION
* SPEED RACER
* GIGANTOR
* FRANKENSTEIN JUNIOR
* SPACE GHOST
* ROCKET ROBIN HOOD
* SUBMARINE BOY (he took a pill that allowed him to breathe underwater for an hour or something)
* SECRET SQUIRREL
* ATOM ANT

Whew! Major nostalgia attack!

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
NEC
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #20 on: August 19, 2003, 01:31:55 PM »

There's this great book you might be able to find at the library which for some reason the title is eluding me right now. It's huge trade paperback about kids programs on radio and television from about 1930 through 1979.

NightFlight
« Reply #21 on: August 22, 2003, 10:05:47 PM »

Ahhh, thanks everyone for taking me back in time.  I was a kid of the late 70's and early 80's.   My favs were:

Smurfs
Superfriends
Scooby Doo
Kid Video
Bugs Bunny
Pac Man
Bargle5
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #22 on: August 24, 2003, 11:31:57 PM »

The Bugs Bunny Show
Hot Wheels
Beakman's World
Mr. Wizard
The Weird Al Show
Rocky and Bullwinkle

Frogs with their endless croaking, croaking, croaking in the night.
yaddo42
« Reply #23 on: August 26, 2003, 06:58:26 AM »

I would really like to see the Filmation animated Tarzan and Lone Ranger cartoons again. The Tarzan series actually seemed to involve some fantasy elements that the live action films never touched.

TV Land was showing "Shazam!" episodes about a year ago during their "Kitschen" block of guilty pleasure shows on Friday and Saturday nights. I would tape them and watch them after I got home from work. The perfect programming for 3 AM viewing. Loved it as a kid, but now I have a whole new appreciation of just how bad it was. The shoe-horned in educational lessons to the stories, Billy having flashbacks to things the Elders said less than 5 minutes ago, the overused stock music from tons of Filmation shows (wish there were a CD) even HB was more creative in their use of their stock music. The Shazam logo on the front of the RV, so much for secret identities, the hoaky acting by tons of teen actors (including a pudgy Danny Bonaduce in one episode) but that dialogue didn't make it any easier. Classic.

Most of the more popular Kroft programs were before my time, but I think I am the one kid who never liked anything by the Krofts. "Land Of The Lost" was boring to me, and I never understood the hatred other kids had for "Dr. Who" when they said it was cheap looking but were so fond of the equally cheap LOTL.

And I agree that those who don't like "X-Men: Evolution" are really missing out. The writing and use of characters are so good they overcome the teen angst element and the high school setting.
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #24 on: August 26, 2003, 08:36:59 AM »

Wow! I don't know what I can add to that list. Did anybody mention the Mighty Hercules?

I guess, growing up in the 70s and 80s, I got to see the best of Saturday morning television. Caught some of the Kroft shows, and a some of the other classic 60s and early 70s programming. Enjoyed the reign of Hanna Barbera, from Scooby Doo to the resurrection of Flintstones to Superfriends to Shmoo to Smurfs. Saw prime-time sitcoms adapted to cartoons, arcade games adapted to cartoons, wrestling adapted to a cartoon, and even Rubik's Cube adapted to a cartoon. Had a blast during the early appearances of anime - Star Blazers, Voltron, Force Five, Robotech. And I enjoyed the cartoons of the early 90s as well, from the well-known X-Men, Spider Man and the Tick, to more obscure stuff, like Exo-Squad.

Unfortunately, I no longer watch TV on Saturday mornings. I lost interest during the years when there was nothing on but hours of Digimon, some crappy Disney cartoons, and weird Nick stuff I'd never heard of. Coming right after the seasons when you were hard pressed to find a cartoon amid the live-action Power Rangers knock-offs, it was too much for me. It had gotten to the point where I watched more Bob Vila than cartoons. Saturday morning is, sadly, a thing of the past. I guess when you can find cartoons 24-7, it becomes kind of redundant.

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
Paul Hotbranch
« Reply #25 on: August 26, 2003, 08:46:39 PM »

Some WWWF-worthy Saturday/Sunday morining TV shows:

-Challenge Of The Superfriends
-Dexter´s Laboratory
-Fat Albert and the Cosby Kids
-The Flintstones
-He-Man And The Masters Of The Universe
-Inspector Gadget
-The Jetsons
-Mighty Morphing Power Rangers
-The Rocky and Bullwinkle Show
-Scooby-Doo,Where Are You!
-Speed Racer
-the old"Spider-Man"cartoon
-Thundercats
-Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
-Bill Nye,the Science Guy
-Bozo The Clown
-Captain Kangaroo
-Mister Rogers´s Neighborhood
-Pee-Wee´s Playhouse
-Sesame Street
-ALF
NEC
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #26 on: August 26, 2003, 08:52:45 PM »

<<-Challenge Of The Superfriends>>

Challenge is the most badass of the SuperFriends series. I always love watching it!

Just remembered something the other day - Anyone remember PlasticMan? That show was more like a comedic superhero cartoon.

Paul Hotbranch
« Reply #27 on: August 26, 2003, 08:54:21 PM »

I DO remember watching Superfriends,and enjoying them very much!
yaddo42
« Reply #28 on: August 27, 2003, 09:51:02 PM »

I remember Plasticman, I didn't like it much. Plasticbaby and Plasticman's whiney wife ruined it for me.

I can remember losing interest in Saturday morning cartoons once stuff like Richie Rich and Sport Billy began showing up on the schedules. That and I figured out how few new episodes of returning series they made and just kept recycling the old ones over and over again. I got bored seeing the same episode of Thundarr the Barbarian for the twentieth time.
Scott
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Hey, I'm in the situation room ! ! !

« Reply #29 on: August 27, 2003, 09:55:10 PM »

Yaddo you must be about 39 years old like myself.

Pages: 1 [2] 3
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Great Saturday morning TV shows « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.