Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 02:43:11 AM
713386 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  House of 1000 Corpses « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: House of 1000 Corpses  (Read 4037 times)
Uncle Fester
Dedicated Viewer

« on: August 17, 2003, 04:26:38 AM »

I was wondering should I buy the dvd,or just rent it?
Brock
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2003, 09:16:26 AM »

Just rent it.  It was pretty damn terrible, but worth seeing if you're a genre fan, I guess.  Be sure to check out the DVD for the special feature called "TIny F*cked a Stump". That's worth the price of admission alone.
kriegerg69
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2003, 09:25:03 AM »

I'd rent it first.....the general consensus about the movie seems to be that Rob Zombie laid a BIG egg with this, and the movie just sucks.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
"Mein Führer! I can walk!!"
ErikJ
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2003, 09:32:12 AM »

I asked the same question of a buddy of mine when he rented it. Only problem was his 2 year old son lost his DVD remote. Ahhh, the joy of having children. And you would have thought he learned from the first 4 kids he has. There's the real horror story.

Post Edited (08-17-03 10:11)

If God is watching us, the least we can do is be
entertaining.

jmc
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2003, 09:46:59 AM »

Oh man....to lose the DVD remote and have Captain Spaulding yell at you for ten minutes and then start over again is horrible indeed!

Definitely a rental--I didn't think it was that bad, just a prime example of what happens when a fan who doesn't know how to make movies tries to make a movie.
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2003, 09:50:56 AM »

I bought it. I did not see it during its theatrical run, but I am SO GLAD that I bought the DVD. FINALLY someone has made a horror movie in the tradition of the drive-in classics of the 1970s. The movie borrows HEAVILY from THE TEXAS CHAINSAW MASSACRE, THE HILLS HAVE EYES, DERANGED, and similar movies from the 70s. But it also has its own creepy originality and "on target" black humor. I haven't seen a movie that had as much raw, honest ghoulishness and twisted humor since THE EVIL DEAD.

This movie blows away all the other SCREAM, I KNOW WHAT YOU DID . . . , URBAN LEGEND, FRIDAY THE 13TH PART 200, NIGHTMARE ON ELM STREET PART 200, etc., etc., crap that has been released since the 1980s.

This movie is FUN and is loaded with the type of cheap creepiness that makes this kind of movie a pleasure to watch over and over again.

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
jmc
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2003, 09:54:41 AM »

It's definitely better than all those recent films, though it fails on some points, but it's nowhere near as good as the movies it was influenced by.  Zombie doesn't know that he needs to let the audience rest for a bit...not every scene needs to be over-the-top and shocking.  By the end of the film, I didn't really care what happened, and was just waiting for it to be over with.  It's that kind of pacing and storytelling problem that makes it obvious that the movie was made by an inexperienced director.
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964

« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2003, 01:07:17 PM »

jmc wrote:

> It's definitely better than all those recent films, though it
> fails on some points, but it's nowhere near as good as the
> movies it was influenced by.  Zombie doesn't know that he needs
> to let the audience rest for a bit...not every scene needs to
> be over-the-top and shocking.  By the end of the film, I didn't
> really care what happened, and was just waiting for it to be
> over with.  It's that kind of pacing and storytelling problem
> that makes it obvious that the movie was made by an
> inexperienced director.

In general, I agree that Zombie's pacing was rapid-fire and unconventional (literally NO slow-downs once the action starts). But, in this case, I liked it. The film is short enough (less than 90 minutes) to support an "all out attack." I found it refreshing that, once the action started, we didn't have to sit through any dumb romantic scenes or endless expository dialogue.

I watched thsi DVD for the first time last night. I was taken completely by surprise by the rapid fire images and relentless pace. By the end of the movie I was exhilerated and I almost wanted to watch it again. If this movie had been released 30 years ago, it would have been a hit at the drive-ins and at "midnight movies" in theaters. Is it a great film? No. But it's a hell of a lot of fun. Plus, Zombie does show flashes of brilliance. For instance, the birds-eye view shot of the deputy with the gun to his head is held so long, without sound, that it becomes excruciating to look at. I can't remember the last time I was so riveted by a single shot in any movie.

This one gets a hearty "thumbs up" from me. I wish more directors would boldly "break the mold" like Zombie did.

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
Ash

23 Year Badmovies.org Veteran

« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2003, 01:30:07 PM »

"Thank you for shopping at Red Hot p***y Liquors!"
-=NiGHTS=-
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2003, 05:57:27 PM »

The consensus here is right, this  movie is great fun.  There is only one bit of real cinematic..well, not-quite-genius in it, that being the birds-eye shot with the deputy, but aside from that, it's just a fun 'CrazySouthern Family' horror movie with its tongue firmly in cheek.  

And Rob Zombie's wife is hot.

That's a plus.
Gecko brothers
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2003, 10:31:37 PM »

from
the person who likes resident evil and Mortal Combat
wuggles451
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2003, 11:21:24 PM »

Why dont you rent it then form your own opinion you decide if its worth the purches. I just watched the movie like ten minutes ago and it is worth buying just becuase it is Sheri Moons only credit. i am totally in love with her now does she have a website?

jmc
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2003, 11:58:20 PM »

I did like that shot with the deputy too.  

Still, the movie doesn't have one iota of the impact of THE TEXAS CHAINSAW MASSACRE.....I'm glad for any horror movie that isn't teen SCREAM spew or a dumb sequel, but I'd rather watch the original films that inspired Rob Zombie than watch his film.....

Sid Haig was great as Captain Spaulding, though....
-=NiGHTS=-
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2003, 12:12:04 AM »

I never said I LIKED Resident Evil and Mortal Kombat.  Mortal Kombat was fun when it came out, wore thin very quickly.  Resident Evil was laaaammme, and this' from a die-hard lover of zombie movies.  You assume too much, I never -once- said that I enjoyed Paul Anderson's body of work, I merely commented on the direction that the Alien movies were heading.  Yeesh.
Brother Ragnarok

« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2003, 02:36:57 AM »

I say buy it.  I'm with Burgo all the way, and I loved every second of this movie.  It's all the stuff you love about 70's exploitation slammed together into one ass-kicker of a flick.  Everyone uses the same excuse to pan it - too much like Texas Chainsaw - so I'll keep using the same excuse to defend it.  It's supposed to be like Texas Chainsaw, except the ending of House is far better.  I'd have to say the movie's damn near flawless as far as slimy, icky trash goes, and I love my slimy, icky trash.

Brother R

There are only two important things in life - monsters and hot chicks.
    - Rob Zombie
Rape is just cause for murdering.
    - Strapping Young Lad
Pages: [1] 2
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  House of 1000 Corpses « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.