Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 01:26:35 PM
713351 Posts in 53056 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Common cliches in movies « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Common cliches in movies  (Read 2809 times)
wickednick
Bad Movie Lover

« on: August 21, 2003, 01:38:51 AM »

Like every one on this forum I am an avid viewer of movies, so during my many years of viewing movies Ive noticed many strange cliches or common things in most movies.
One of the things ive always wondered is why after a guy and a women just get done having sex in a movie, the guy always get out from under the covers with his underware still on but yet the women is completly naked.Now its not like I want to see the guy naked but for the sake making the sex scene believable shouldn't the guy be naked too.I don't know about you but ive never had sex with my underware still on, except for the occasional quicky in some semi public place.
What is it about women in movies that when ever they are running away from a bad guy that they always have to trip on something. You almost never see a guy trip on something, the only way the guy usually loses ground is when he is either shot in the leg or must make some dangerous run over some hazardous obsticals.
The one hit knock out is one of those things you see in most action movies.Ive never found this beliveable because, unless your a boxer or a martil artist very rarley will a single punch knock someone out.
Another curious thing ive noticed is that shooting a control panel that normal opens a door or deactivates a trap will actually open the door or deactivate a trap.I don't really think that by breaking the thing that operates a door or a trap will actually work.
The next one is what I call the unlimited ammo code.In many movies you will see the caracters let off a nearly endless supply of a ammo at there enemys.Ive always liked watching westrens because of this.The guy may have only a six shot pistol but he can unload twice that apon his anemys before he actually has to reload.
Apparently all bombs are set up so that by cutting a one wire will disarm a bomb and by cutting another it will set it off.Now ill admit that I dont know the specifics about bombs but i would think that cutting any wire going to the firing mechanism would disarm the bomb.Also all bombs when diasarmed will be disarmed in five seconds or less before the bombs go off.
Will that all I can remeber for now.I know there is more but I don't remeber them all.

Smells like popcorn and shame
JohnL
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2003, 04:39:27 AM »

There have been several threads on this very topic on this board.

There's also the car that won't start just when you need it to. The town official who refuses to shut down the festival/carnival/show/etc, because they don't believe the danger is real. The walking villain who can always get ahead of the running victim and always knows where they are, even when they have no special powers...
Perk
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2003, 10:05:25 AM »

wyckednick wrote:

> One of the things ive always wondered is why after a guy and a
> women just get done having sex in a movie, the guy always get
> out from under the covers with his underware still on but yet
> the women is completly naked.Now its not like I want to see the
> guy naked but for the sake making the sex scene believable
> shouldn't the guy be naked too.I don't know about you but ive
> never had sex with my underware still on, except for the
> occasional quicky in some semi public place.

"And we totally did sex."
"You didn't even take your clothes off!"
"Of course not, it was sex."
Space Ghost

> The one hit knock out is one of those things you see in most
> action movies.Ive never found this beliveable because, unless
> your a boxer or a martil artist very rarley will a single punch
> knock someone out.

I've actually seen this happen in real life, but it was more of a sucker punch to a guy with a glass jaw.  He was out for a while after words.

> Another curious thing ive noticed is that shooting a control
> panel that normal opens a door or deactivates a trap will
> actually open the door or deactivate a trap.I don't really
> think that by breaking the thing that operates a door or a trap
> will actually work.

I think this is just human nature.  If sometyhing doesn't work most people slam it against something to try and make it work.  I don't understand the rationale but sometimes I find myself doing the same thing....

> The next one is what I call the unlimited ammo code.In many
> movies you will see the caracters let off a nearly endless
> supply of a ammo at there enemys.Ive always liked watching
> westrens because of this.The guy may have only a six shot
> pistol but he can unload twice that apon his anemys before he
> actually has to reload.

"Wait one minute.  Now you've got a .45 revolver that holds six bulets.  Now I've counted at least 20 shots and you never reloaded."
"That's right"
I'm Gonna Git You Sucka

> Apparently all bombs are set up so that by cutting a one wire
> will disarm a bomb and by cutting another it will set it
> off.Now ill admit that I dont know the specifics about bombs
> but i would think that cutting any wire going to the firing
> mechanism would disarm the bomb.Also all bombs when diasarmed
> will be disarmed in five seconds or less before the bombs go
> off.

Thats what i liked about Lethal Weapon 3 when they think they've stopped the bomb it still goes off.

Will that all I can remeber for now.I know there is more but I don't remeber them all.

There's one I like to call the "You thought we'd kill.......  I can't  f____n' believe it"  cliche.  I've only seen it in two movies that i can think of (not counting horror movies).  In Ford Fairlane we see that the badguys have killed Ford's koala bear.  Yet at the very end of the movie the Koala bear is sitting on the boat with Ford and he says "What?  Did you think we'd really kill the Koala?  Un-f****n-believable"
and in Hudson Hawk after Tommy dies in the limo that exploded and went over a cliff he says "Airbags, can you F****n' believe it.  Sprinkler system, can you f****n believe it!!"

Well that was fun...in a f****in' sick, terrible, not at all fun kinda way.
gammaray117
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2003, 05:23:25 PM »

Of course, there's the one-bullet kill. And if you're shot near a balcony, you must hurl yourself off screaming.
BlackAngel
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2003, 05:54:30 AM »

In relation to your bomb theory everytime a character sees a clock or a monitor with a clock on it, it is always something that has to do with a self destruction  sequence.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Bulls**t, I still can't hear you, sound of like you got a pair
parody master
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2003, 10:49:01 AM »

AND of course only 1-2, 3 tops ever survive a horror movie

Paul Hotbranch
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2003, 09:01:55 PM »

Such cliches are the charm of the movies.
gammaray117
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2003, 10:31:43 PM »

How true.

"You can't fight in here, this is the War Room!"-"Dr. Strangelove"
NEC
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2003, 11:15:27 PM »

Then there's the same old BS about men and women actors and age. I don't get that at all. And the pathetic part is that it still exists.

ad
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2003, 07:12:12 AM »

Running away from an explosion (AKA explosion chases hero down alleyway before the hero leaps through a window or something) is always a cliche in my book.
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2003, 12:03:02 PM »

The other amazing thing about bombs is that there seems to be a standard colour code for the wiring. Car stereo manufacturers can't even accomplish that, but mad bombers can.

Another pecular fact about women: The one who is most hostile to the hero at the beginning will fall in love with him by the end.

Alien beings who can withstand all conventional and nuclear weapons can usually be defeated by something small, such as germs, a Mac Powerbook, personal alarms, yodeling, or displays of affection.

Police seldom believe reports from teenagers, and won't even drive by to take a look.

And how can we forget that any soldier who mentions any sort of family or business plans will inevitably die, probably in the hero's arms.

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Common cliches in movies « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.