Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 12:09:32 AM
713382 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Why do established actors sometimes go uncredited? « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Why do established actors sometimes go uncredited?  (Read 6388 times)
JohnL
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« on: August 24, 2003, 05:56:25 AM »

Ok, I know that many now-famous actors got their start playing bit parts and that sometimes a famous actor will go uncredited when they make a cameo appearance in a movie, but why do character actors sometimes go uncredited?

For example, I just watched the end of The Craft and when I went to look it up on the IMDB to check something, I noticed this;

John Kapelos ....  Ray (uncredited)

John Kapelos, better known as Carl the janitor in The Breakfast Club. By the time he made The Craft, he'd already been in 33 movies, co-starred in Forever Knight and guest starred in 22 episodes of assorted TV shows. Why would he be uncredited in The Craft? I admit that I don't recall what part he played, but he's been around long enough that a lot of people recognize his face even if they're not sure where they know him from.

Post Edited (08-24-03 05:57)
Vermin Boy
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2003, 10:48:25 AM »

A union dodge, maybe?

-Vermin Boy

My site: The Vermin Cave
My band: The Demons of Stupidity
?????: ?????
dean
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2003, 11:31:45 AM »

maybe they were just too embarrassed with the film they were making, but couldn't get out of their contract/ needed the money, so they just asked to go uncredited in the film so maybe noone would notice!
but you don't really get main characters going uncredited regardless [although i seem to remember one fairly major character  was left out, but i can't remember what...darn]

some mysteries are not to be solved by human minds
Brian Ringler
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2003, 12:30:12 PM »

I know in Troma movies its because they can't pay sag costs for each actor and if you have sag actors in your movies you have to pay those actors at sag rates
Vermin Boy
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2003, 01:54:04 PM »

... Hence Corey Feldman, aka "Kinky Finkelstein." :)

-Vermin Boy

My site: The Vermin Cave
My band: The Demons of Stupidity
?????: ?????
BoyScoutKevin
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2003, 01:58:27 PM »

I think it is alot of times its a compromise. The actor sees the finished product, doesn't like what he sees, and wants out, but, because his part is too large to be edited out, and because a lawsuit to stop the release of the film would be too costly, he asks that is name be taken off the credits.

I believe that Kenneth Branagh wanted out of "Swing Kids," Jerry Orbach wanted out of "Toy Soldiers," and Ron Leibman wanted out of "Up the Academy," and their names are not listed in the film credits, though all three of them have large and recognizable parts in their respective films.

Of course, Robert Downey, Jr. is also left out of the credits of "Up the Academy," but, then that was only his third film, and his previous film was eight years prior.

Then there is the case of David Warner in "Straw Dogs," who goes uncredited, because he had broken his foot before the film had started shooting, and the filmmakers couldn't get him insured. Thus, his uncredited appearance in the film.

Of course, then there are films like "How the West Was Won," which is filled with uncredited character actors like Rudy Acosta, Ken Curtis, Jay C. Flippen, Jack Lambert, Joe Sawyer, Harry Dean Stanton, Karl Swenson, and Lee Van Cleef.

For all of them their parts are small, but, they are large enough, so they are recognizable by face, if not by name, or in Ken Curtis' part, by voice.

Lee Van Cleef had been in motion pictures for ten years, ever since his motion picture debut in "High Noon," had appeared in over 50 films, and was credited in his last film "The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance."

Even Harry Dean Stanton, who had yet to become well known, had been in motion pictures for five years and had made eight films, for some of which he had received credit

Thus, in some of these cases, I believe the actors were doing somebody a favor, and thus not that interested in getting billing credit, which seems to be more important now, then then.

Ash
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

23 Year Badmovies.org Veteran

« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2003, 02:42:09 PM »

Bruce Willis goes uncredited in the final sequence of "Four Rooms" when they chop that guy's pinky off.

Paul Hotbranch
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2003, 08:58:09 PM »

Imdb always gives them credit.
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Why do established actors sometimes go uncredited? « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.