Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 05:27:45 AM
713324 Posts in 53055 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Bowling for Columbine « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Bowling for Columbine  (Read 4037 times)
wuggles451
« on: August 24, 2003, 02:05:54 PM »

Watched this the other day.
My first intro to Micheal Moore was through his music video work with Rage Against the Machine. I am a huge fan of RATM so was anxious to see Micheal's movie then i saw him on the Oscars making an ass out of himself so my interest dwindled. After seeing BforC I can tell you i am gald i did this has to be one of the most emotional movies I've ever seen i laughed at the sarcasm and scynism but more importantly i cried twice. Maybe it had some thing to do withe the song it's A  Wonderful World but this movie struck a cord with me and really made me ask what is it that makes our nation that much more violent then others. I highly recommend seeing this i will probally go buy it and also The Awful Truth box set

Post Edited (08-24-03 14:07)
FFrrp
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2003, 02:39:24 PM »

Too bad it's not a documentary of what really happened, tat would be worth crying over
systemcr4sh
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2003, 02:41:53 PM »

FFrrp, what exactly do you mean? Are you saying that you don't agree with moores opinion or that you felt it didn't focus on columbine enough or what.

-Dan

"Evil will always triumph, because good, is dumb"
-Spaceballs

"Now life's like a b-movie, That no one wants to see,
Here comes the zombie, Portraying me."
     - Dillinger Four
NEC
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2003, 02:51:43 PM »

<>

What he's saying is that some of the people interviewed by Moore, are saying that they had their statements manipulated by Moore for the film. I don't know if it's true or not; I personally don't care either way.

Tranquil Featherman
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2003, 03:28:59 PM »

I think that Mike Moore and Peter Jackson should be put in a deep well without food or water and see which one eats the other one first.

Robot Roll Call: (Come on, let's go)
Cambot (Pan left)
Gypsy (Hi girl)
Tom Servo (What a cool guy)
Croooow! (You little wisecracker)

JohnL
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2003, 06:36:36 PM »

I've never seen Bowling for Columbine, but I used to watch his network show. I thought he made some really good points. My favorite was when he took Congress's Contract with American and tried to get into all the places that were reserved for congress members only.
wuggles451
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2003, 08:02:43 PM »

I dont think Micheal Moore's intentions are anything more than trying to get you to think...do we really need to own hand guns, should we really be afraid of our kids. Its just like Rage Against the Machine if i took every lyric seriously, literally, I'd be blowing stuff up.(<-- that sentence is a good way to get me on some kinda cia list)
The music just like the movie was more to provoke thought than to tell anyone they are wrong.

Fearless Freep

« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2003, 09:17:48 PM »

I think you are giving Moore far too much credit.  He dresses up political propaganda as 'documentary' with little regard to honesty or accuracy.  From what I've seen of the editing and manipulation he did with "Bowling For Columbine", it's as much a documentary as "This Is Spinal Tap".

If you were emotionally moved by "BforC", you're probably going to feel pretty jerked around if you look into how much he used editing tricks and careful use of interview footage to make people appear to be saying what they weren't saying

And not really related but after reading Tim Commerford being interviewed in the August "Bass Player" , I'm pretty much turned off any interest in their music :)

=======================
Going places unmapped, to do things unplanned, to people unsuspecting
wuggles451
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2003, 10:24:43 PM »

Actually i noticed some wierd edits much like youd see on the daily show where its obvious the interviewer isnt asking the question being answered. I think though the end product  justifies the means of making it the documentary. How much of it is true? Only Mr. Moore can answer that but the movie made me think and that is rare.

Fearless Freep

« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2003, 10:36:15 PM »

"How much of it is true? Only Mr. Moore can answer that..[./]

Not really. Many people have gone through the movie in detail and shown where Moore either had edited third party material to say something other than originally said, or be outright dishonest with the facts

the movie made me think and that is rare.

"Dark City" made me think, too, but it's not a documentary.

I think though the end product justifies the means of making it the documentary.

A documentary should just show 'what happened' as honestly (at least) and unbiased (hopefully) as possible.  Moore's work is closer to fiction than documentary for his own agenda and if that's what he wants to produce, he should have the simple honesty of saying "this is what I think abuot the events" and not call it a documentary

=======================
Going places unmapped, to do things unplanned, to people unsuspecting
Dunners
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2003, 12:04:40 AM »

save the world, kill a politician or two.
jmc
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2003, 12:51:02 AM »

The only truly accurate documentary is a broadcast of a live event...even then I guess things can be shown or not shown.

That being said, there's a lot of criticism of Bowling for Columbine's facts, and not just by Moore's ideological opponents.

The Truth about Bowling for Columbine

Post Edited (08-25-03 00:58)
wuggles451
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2003, 11:06:53 AM »

Freep I get the feeling you just dont like Micheal Moore. Have you actually seen the movie?

kirk
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2003, 11:42:04 AM »

Wuggles, Freep is simply stating a fact.  BFC is not a documentary.

Various interviewers have tried to pin down Moore on his disregard for accuracy, and Moore response is usually, "It's a comedy, not a documentary.  Comedy doesn't have to be truthful."  Moore's Oscar is as legitimate as Milli Vanilli's Grammy.

Read the information at the Hardy Law site.  Moore spliced together 2 different speeches in his alleged documentary.  He is a fraud.

And, to answer your question, yes we do need handguns.  Mine saved my life once.

Kirk
pumpkinbug
New Visitor

« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2003, 12:55:54 PM »

While "thinking" about issues is good, does it do anyone any good if you think about things and form opinions based on inaccuracies or falacies? How can you possibly make a stand on an issue if you do it on quicksand?

I have never seen the movie and do not intend to. It's my understanding that MM manipulated events and people to create a picture to influence people to his way of thinking. Isn't the truth enough to do that? Why resort to theatrics if your point is valid?

While I don't necessarily think guns should be outlawed, I do advocate gun control. I have no intention of ever owning a gun myself but would like the option to purchase one if I felt I needed it for my own safety. I don't think there is a simple, effective solution on this one.

I would respect MM more if he actually made "documentaries" and used the facts to sway the audience and expose them to real issues so we could all be aware of them. If someone lies to me, they lose all credability- end of story.
Pages: [1] 2
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Bowling for Columbine « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.