Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 06:27:15 PM
713370 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  What is a B-Movie? « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: What is a B-Movie?  (Read 2602 times)
Scott
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Hey, I'm in the situation room ! ! !

« on: August 24, 2003, 08:36:09 PM »

Theaters of the past had a opening film that was considered a B-Movie then they would play the Feature Presentation.

At the Drive-In you had a similiar situation. A good movie and some lesser films considered B-Movies.

What makes a film a B-Movie Today? Straight to video/DVD? Or is it some other quality?

Fearless Freep

« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2003, 09:10:23 PM »

I can't describe it, but I know it when I see it.

Actually, to be honest I really don't care.  There are wide varieties of things that I will enjoy watching and not really care if it's a "B Movie" or not.  I mean, I'll watch "The Terminator" and "A.P.E.X." and "Road Warrior" and "Cherry 2000" without batting an eye so who am I to say what's "B" and what's not?

=======================
Going places unmapped, to do things unplanned, to people unsuspecting
dean
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2003, 10:28:51 PM »

for me, a B-movie doesn't mean a crappy movie.

it means a movie that isn't mainstream [much like arthouse i guess] except it contains more sensational storylines [in other words, not just a drama-type thing, but a horror/scifi/action/monster-type film]  Low budget is often a factor, mainly because most respectable film companies wouldn't release the film, therefore the idea that they aren't mainstream.  but its not a requirement to be low budget: i consider the Scorpian King to be a B-move and wasn't a straight to video release, and i'm pretty sure there was much money involved.  so too is the upcoming film Hellboy [based on the comic] which so far looks very 'B' like.

the scream series often has a B-movie feel to it, but i think its more on the edge, than one way or another.

but remember if it is really classy, no matter how

Some personal B-Movie rules:  reality has no place here, just because the laws of gravity may apply in life, doesn't mean it does in a B-movie.  in other words the stories MUST contain some kind of the surreal. whether it be a different time or planet, or has monsters, or super powers, a B-Movie must contain something out of the ordinary.

acting isn't a requirement, so too is storyline, character development or proper special effects.

it isn't afraid to poke fun at itself: corny lines may be rife, silly situations, events which may not suit the genre [eg comedy in horror]

hope this helps
Fearless Freep

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2003, 10:40:07 PM »

I think the term "B-Movie" somes from a different era and related directly to a certain disribution/presentation mechanism which then came to mean something else because of the movies that tended to inhabit that world.  However that world itself is no longer applicable, but  the nickname still carries over, but is now much harder to classify

=======================
NEC
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2003, 05:46:35 AM »

I don't even use the term 'B-movie', because it doesn't apply to how movies are marketed today. I use 'low-budget' or 'lower-budget' to describe movies if they are just that.

I luv dolma
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2003, 01:58:11 PM »

I prefer the Deathstalker films, the Carnosaur Trilogy, and Zombie Lake better then Minority Report and The Lord of the Rings movies. So there!
raj

« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2003, 03:34:20 PM »

Low (or lower) budget is one element, IMO.  I'm sure there are b-movie versions of Terminator, and what really separates Time Runner ( http://www.badmovies.org/movies/timerunner/index.html can't figure out how to do hyperlinking here) from Terminator besides the budget -- for FX, actors, script writers, etc. ?

Not having artisitc pretensions is another element.  Many arthouse films have low budgets, but I wouldn't label them as b/bad movies -- though a lot are downright awful.

B-movies usually tend to have a fantasy element in them too, either horror (demons & vampires) or SF, but then again Shannon Tweed's movies were usually murder mysteries or comedies.  

Anyway, that's my 1 penny (converting my two Canadian cents to US)
Paul Hotbranch
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2003, 07:56:41 PM »

Examples of a B-Movie:

-Fantastic Four
-the"Attack Of THe Killer Tomatoes"series
-Robot Zombie
-Manos,The Hands of Fate(the quintaessetial Mystery Science Threatre 3000 movie)
-Zombie!VS Mardi Gras
-any Peter Jackson movie before"The Frighteners"and"Lord Of The Rings"
-the Godzilla movies(NOT counting the remake)
-any Ed Wood movie
-Charlie´s Angels(modern B-Movie)
NEC
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2003, 06:14:28 PM »

I would say that The Fast And The Furious is also a modern B-movie.

Paul Hotbranch
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2003, 07:19:29 PM »

I don´t think so.
Tranquil Featherman
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2003, 07:22:49 PM »

Oh I agree Fast and the Furious is a TERRIBLE movie. well, except for that hispanic girl, she was cute

Robot Roll Call: (Come on, let's go)
Cambot (Pan left)
Gypsy (Hi girl)
Tom Servo (What a cool guy)
Croooow! (You little wisecracker)

Fearless Freep

« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2003, 07:23:31 PM »

He didn't say 'terrible' he said 'B'

=======================
Tranquil Featherman
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2003, 07:25:15 PM »

oh.

Robot Roll Call: (Come on, let's go)
Cambot (Pan left)
Gypsy (Hi girl)
Tom Servo (What a cool guy)
Croooow! (You little wisecracker)

Paul Hotbranch
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2003, 07:33:09 PM »

"Eight Legged Freaks"is another example of a modern B-Movie.
dean
« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2003, 08:53:10 AM »

wasn't 8-legged freaks pretty much made with that whole b-movie feel in mind?  that was what i gathered when they were promoting it: "come see an actual modern b-movie".

although i haven't seen the sequel, i don't consider fast and furious a B movie, but more a teen-action-flick which seems to have created a genre of its own [eg XXX  and so on]
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  What is a B-Movie? « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.