Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 03:40:43 AM
713324 Posts in 53055 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Why, I ask? Why? « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
Author Topic: Why, I ask? Why?  (Read 19620 times)
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« on: August 26, 2003, 11:59:56 AM »

Why is it that we all enjoy watching crappy movies? I mean, I purchase and watch (multiple times) movies that most other people wouldn't even watch once, even if they were free! And the rest of you are all guilty of the same thing!

So, what is this demented attraction to crap? Why have I only seen CASABLANCA about 3 times, but I have seen PLAN 9 FROM OUTER SPACE about 15 or 20 times? Why will I stay up until 3 a.m. watching a "Something Weird" double feature? Why am I familiar with Tor Johnson, Arch Hall, Jr., Rudy Ray Moore, Dick Miller, Al Adamson, Herschell Gordon Lewis, and other "celebrities" from the world of bad filmmaking? Why do I watch painfully terrible movies . . . but I refuse to turn them off before the end?

When the Lumiere Brothers and Thomas Edison were making their early films, I'm SURE that they didn't intend for people to make movies like ATTACK OF THE KILLER TOMATOES and BLOOD OF GHASTLY HORROR. How did we end up in this embarrassing situation?????

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
Ash

23 Year Badmovies.org Veteran

« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2003, 01:05:59 PM »

Ummmm....

Maybe it's a genetic thing we all have...

raj

« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2003, 01:15:09 PM »

Back after a surprisingly busy summer.

Hmm, I guess I enjoy watching crappy movies strictly to be able to put my brain in park and be entertained.  I do enjoy High Art at times, but other times I just want to see some zombies getting whopped upside the head.  Hey, at least it isn't gladiators slugging it out for real in the Colosseum.
Fearless Freep

« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2003, 01:24:05 PM »

Like 'raj' I enjoy the 'brain in neutral' aspect.

Also, since I was a kid I've enjoyed the 'sci-fi' and 'fantasy' aspects.  It wasn't until I got older that I realized that most such movies are actually pretty bad :), but I still enjoy those aspects anyway

Also, I find that people in real life don't really talk like they do in movies, or act, or respond.  So I find movies that try to be realistic rather annoying because I find myself caught by the glaring 'un-realism' of the character actions in a hundred little ways.  

For some reason, once you throw in some time-travelling cyborgs, I find myself detached enough from 'reality' that I really don't care whether anyone says 'goodbye' on the phone or not

=======================
Going places unmapped, to do things unplanned, to people unsuspecting
Tranquil Featherman
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2003, 01:43:38 PM »

o/` That's Entertainment!!!!! o/`

Robot Roll Call: (Come on, let's go)
Cambot (Pan left)
Gypsy (Hi girl)
Tom Servo (What a cool guy)
Croooow! (You little wisecracker)

AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2003, 02:14:04 PM »

Freep makes a good point. I've loved sci-fi and fantasy (mainly sci-fi) since I was a kid, and horror as a teenager. At that age, it was all good to me, and in those years, a lot of unlikely stuff was still getting aired regularly on TV.

An ironic sense of humour also plays a big part. It really is a pleasure for me to watch a really messed-up movie, especially when its taking itself very seriously.

Post Edited (08-26-03 20:03)

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
Dolph Lundgren
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2003, 05:43:41 PM »

You guys bring up a lot of good points.

I think a lot of people are like us.. but they don't know it yet.  I've watched a lot of crappy movies with people who usually don't do it and more often then not they end up having a blast.  Now granted they don't become die hard fans of bad movies, but they enjoy it nonetheless.  

I think it has a little bit to do with untapped potential, for lack of better words.  Show a bad movie to 'em and they might come out a fan.  Otherwise, us die hards'll do just fine.

Nick
Dunners
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2003, 07:11:12 PM »

I think its because for some reason Tor is fun to watch on screen :)

save the world, kill a politician or two.
Paul Hotbranch
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2003, 07:57:23 PM »

Because it´s fun to see how bad the movie can get.
Brother Ragnarok

« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2003, 12:28:33 AM »

Because we rule and everyone else are a bunch of wussies, that's why.

Brother R

There are only two important things in life - monsters and hot chicks.
    - Rob Zombie
Rape is just cause for murdering.
    - Strapping Young Lad
Flangepart

« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2003, 06:45:58 PM »

And, face it, we all think we could do better.
Also, as most of us are MST3K types, we reconise a straitline when we hear one. If the film can't keep us from "Altering its course" by riffing a line that changes how we look at the procedings, it kinda deserves what ever it gets.
One good riff, and the willing suspension of disbelief has left the building!

"Aggressivlly eccentric, and proud of it!"
Dunners
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2003, 06:49:25 PM »

lol too true flange.

save the world, kill a politician or two.
Paul Hotbranch
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2003, 07:02:12 PM »

I bet The Burgomaster never watched"Mystery Science Theatre 3000"...
Fearless Freep

« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2003, 07:10:43 PM »

One good riff, and the willing suspension of disbelief has left the building!

I watched "Dark City" for the third time last night, and made my wife watch it for her first with me.  Now, I  love the movie, but as it was going along I kept thinking of good comeback lines for some of the character lines.  It was hard to not blrut them out but out of respect for my wife, who was still enthralled in what was developing, I restrained myself.

=======================
Going places unmapped, to do things unplanned, to people unsuspecting
Paul Hotbranch
« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2003, 07:13:18 PM »

My one-liner while watchin the Little Blue Scene from"Harry Potter And The Chamber Of Secrets"was memorable.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Why, I ask? Why? « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.