Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 07:54:38 AM
713327 Posts in 53056 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Why, I ask? Why? « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
Author Topic: Why, I ask? Why?  (Read 19625 times)
Scott
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Hey, I'm in the situation room ! ! !

« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2003, 09:00:40 PM »

That is the key. We enjoy the strange, weird, bizarre, and just plain demented.

Scott

« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2003, 09:06:19 PM »

The thing is there are not enough strange, weird, and bizarre movies. It is neat to see a film that can stretch something without being rediculous and boring. Pulling off a convincingly bad film in the most sincere way. The unwittingly bizarre is always a favorite.

NEC
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #17 on: August 27, 2003, 10:22:28 PM »

I've always been a fan of bad movies and so-called bad movies. On my 20th birthday, two of my cousins (1 who's into movies but not as much as me and another who's just a very casual movie watcher) and I went and saw Cutthroat Island at the $1 movies. We thought it was freakin' great! Not only super funny, but with great stunts as well! I haven't seen it since though, and I don't know how it would transfer over to the small screen.

The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964

« Reply #18 on: August 27, 2003, 11:11:52 PM »

Paul Hotbranch wrote:

"I bet The Burgomaster never watched"Mystery Science Theatre 3000"...

Unfortunately, you would lose that bet. In fact, if they released every episode on DVD, I would buy them all, regardless of how much it cost or how long it took me to get them all!

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
F-Freep
« Reply #19 on: August 28, 2003, 12:45:14 AM »

iIn fact, if they released every episode on DVD, I would buy them all, regardless of how much it cost or how long it took me to get them all!

Yeah, but you'd probably do that for "T.J. Hooker"
Paul Hotbranch
« Reply #20 on: August 28, 2003, 12:53:59 AM »

Then why do you ask why we do this?
BoyScoutKevin
« Reply #21 on: August 30, 2003, 12:40:34 PM »

Why, using The Burgomaster's example, because I like "Plan 9 from Outer Space," and I don't like "Casablanca." Even though the former is regarded as one of the worst movies ever made, and the latter is regarded as one of the best movies ever made; therefore, I'd sooner watch the former over the latter. And I think it's that way with alot of the movies listed at this site. I find alot of them more enjoyable, then some of the more highly regarded movies, which are not found at this site.

Deej
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #22 on: August 31, 2003, 03:11:47 PM »

1. Appreciation of the absurd.

2. Brother R. is a genius.

3. I would buy a T.J. Hooker boxed set.

Everyone has potentially fatal flaws, but yours involve a love of soldiers' wives, an insatiable thirst for whiskey, and the seven weak points in your left ventricle.

DJ
NEC
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #23 on: August 31, 2003, 07:53:06 PM »

<<3. I would buy a T.J. Hooker boxed set.>>

I would buy one as well! I was a huge fan of that show growing up despite Shatner (who strangely sometimes wasn't even annoying). I watched for James Darren and Heather Locklear.

Deej
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #24 on: August 31, 2003, 08:39:42 PM »

Ha....Shatner was tops!!! Shatner is the guru of cool, James Dean and Steve McQueen got nothing on Shatner! I became a cop just to follow in Shatner's footsteps! Was going to try to join the space program to follow in Shatner's footsteps, then found out they had to do math. I am praying for the day I get to ride on the hood of a car or throw a baton at someone without a UOF review board!!!

Everyone has potentially fatal flaws, but yours involve a love of soldiers' wives, an insatiable thirst for whiskey, and the seven weak points in your left ventricle.

DJ
Scott

« Reply #25 on: August 31, 2003, 10:25:32 PM »

Absurd does make for film viewing and Shatner as Captain Kirk is the best. With his ever present battle music.

What is Shatners Best(Worst) Film?

Deej
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #26 on: August 31, 2003, 10:55:52 PM »

Shatner's Best Film W/ About 10 sec Of Screen Time: Judgement at Nuremburg.

Shatner's Best Film As "Leading Man": The Intruder

Shatner's Worst Film: White Comanche. (the horror, the horror)

Shatner's Best Star Trek Film: Star Trek IV

DJ
alandhopewell
A NorthCoaster In Texas

Hey....white women were in season.

« Reply #27 on: November 16, 2011, 02:09:32 PM »

Shatner's Best Film W/ About 10 sec Of Screen Time: Judgement at Nuremburg.

Shatner's Best Film As "Leading Man": The Intruder

Shatner's Worst Film: White Comanche. (the horror, the horror)

Shatner's Best Star Trek Film: Star Trek IV

Exactly.
As to "why", AFAIC, I do believe that some of us have an affinity for the odd, and the absurd. I think especially if you grew up in the 60's and 70's, when the boundaries of what practically everything was were being tested. 

If it's true what they say, that GOD created us in His image, then why should we not love creating, and why should we not continue to do so, as carefully and ethically as we can, on whatever scale we're capable of?

The choice is simple; refuse to create, and refuse to grow, or build, with care and love.
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964

« Reply #28 on: November 16, 2011, 02:49:16 PM »

I originally posted this topic 8 years ago . . . and I'm still in here . . . I need to step back and examine my life.  Seriously.

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
Archivist

« Reply #29 on: November 17, 2011, 01:57:10 AM »

Burgomaster, eight years is the blink of an eye for an eternity of badness. :)

For me, it depends on the kind of movie.  I asked a similar question a few years ago.  I like watching 70's and 80's b-grade movies because I (supposedly) grew up in that time, and there's a lot of nostalgia value for me there.  I like more recent b-grade movies for the 'brain in neutral' aspect that was brought up earlier in the thread.

I watch a lot of scifi and fantasy movies, action movies, and martial arts movies.  I enjoy stunts and skill, as well as crappy special effects.  'Fun factor' rates with me, boredom does not.

There is a difference between a movie that is bad but fun, like Van Damme's No Retreat No Surrender, and bad but awful, like Jerry Trimble's Live By The Fist.  I can't describe the distinction between quirky direction like the many American movies directed by HK directors in the 80's, and just plain crappy direction in movies like those terrible Filipino movies, but I think you guys know what I'm talking about.

Tonight I will finish watching the last episode of Kindred: The Embraced, then probably tuck into some lighthearted autopsy romance from season six of Bones.  On a tangent, I miss Mark Frankel on TV.  He was only 34 when he passed away.

"Many others since have tried & failed at making a watchable parasite slug movie" - LilCerberus
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Why, I ask? Why? « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.