Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 07:19:29 AM
713326 Posts in 53056 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Licence To Kill « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Licence To Kill  (Read 2911 times)
Paul Hotbranch
« on: August 26, 2003, 08:03:05 PM »

I rented this movie last FRiday and I started watching it and I couldnĀ“t finish it because IT f**kING SUCKED!Q was gone,M was gone,Moneypenny was gone hell the entire MI-6 branch is gone,the Bond villain is a Stereotypical Drug Dealer and the once great,suave James Bond is reduced to a Don Johnson rip-off.

Sean Connery must be really p**sed-off at this movie.

What do you think?
gammaray117
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2003, 09:56:49 PM »

Q and Moneypenny don't show up for a while. And you missed the spectacular 20-minute shootout/car chase/fistfight at the end. You missed a lot of this gem.
NEC
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2003, 11:12:03 PM »

Ok maybe I'm insane, but Timothy Dalton is my second favorite Bond, after Connery.

Neville
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2003, 05:26:47 AM »

Sure, the last part of the movie features quite intense action, but still this is one of my least favourite Bonds ever. Looks to me that they transformed Bond in an action hero, and the movie feels more like pure action than like a Bond film. I don't have any problems with Dalton, I enjoyed his first Bond film, "The living daylights", and I think it is one of the best in the series. Can't understand why his next Bond was so different.

Due to the horrifying nature of this film, no one will be admitted to the theatre.
dean
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2003, 08:02:06 AM »

i'm really conflicted on this topic, being a big bond fan.

on the one hand, i enjoyed the film immensely.  it was more how bond was meant to be: a cruel bastard.

and thats what he was.  Ian Fleming's James Bond was a womanising, chain smoking, racist, son of a b***h really.  but that alll changed with the movies.   he became more witty, funny and, well, lovable.  sure they tried to be faithful in a few things about his personality:  in one film he doesn't hesitate to use the woman he's dancing with as a human shield, but in the name of PC they made him better.

timothy dalton was great in the sense that he sort of captured the icy feel that the original bond had.  sean connery could also capture this, but he was also the charming, dashing spy.  sean's still my favourite but is not like the bond in the novels.

nevertheless it was great to see the bond series back when they released goldeneye.  the only problem now is that it is getting increasingly tacky, and just plain outrageous.  i mean, come on, invisible cars my ass.  you don't need kickass gadgets to win the day, you need useful ones.

the producers need to go back to their bond roots and rediscover the fact that simplicity and just plain cloak and daggerness was the original essence of the bond series, not over the top explosions and action scenes.
gammaray117
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2003, 09:33:16 AM »

I agree fully. The Bond franchise ain't what it used to be. In terms of realism, this and "On Her Majesty's Secret Service" are best. Both also have great action, and beileve these to be the two best.

"You can't fight in here, this is the War Room!"-"Dr. Strangelove"
Ash

23 Year Badmovies.org Veteran

« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2003, 01:38:25 PM »

Was "License to Kill" the one with the scene at the end where the semi truck tilts sideways on its wheels as the rocket passes under it?
Damien01
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2003, 01:39:19 PM »

The living daylights... is the only bond film that put me to sleep...

I do think Licenced To Kill is one of the better bond films (timothy dalton did his best and the bad guys was good characters)

I do think why Timothy Dalton didnt work out so well is because durring that time "Political Correctness" was a big movie and kinda hurt bond's character... Sadly Timothy was a victim from this move, "the New James Bond"

And as for "On her majesty secret service" which I do think the ending sucked so bad because there was no real followup (except from "For your eyes only") but still it wasnt a real followup... I do think it was a big mistake, and would of been better if Bond killed them all at the end of the movie  or made a part 2 where bond is killing the bad guys, I do think it was all planed but the actor thought he was some big shot and took off... so it was never made...
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964

« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2003, 02:56:31 PM »

I rank LICENSE TO KILL in the #9 slot, as follows:

1. GOLDFINGER
2. FROM RUSSIA WITH LOVE
3. DR. NO
4. ON HER MAJESTY'S SECRET SERVICE (this would be #1 if Connery had been in it)
5. THUNDERBALL
6. MAN WITH THE GOLDEN GUN
7. LIVE AND LET DIE
8. GOLDENEYE
9. LICENSE TO KILL

Basically, the Bond films have lost much of their charm over the years. The original M, Q, and Moneypenny are sorely missed. Also, the 1970s, 80s, 90s and beyond are not (and never will be) as "cool" as the swingin' 60s. (Austin Powers has proven that numerous times).

Dalton is not at the top of my Bond list . . . mainly because he doesn't "look" like Bond. His facial features are a bit too tough & rugged. Connery, Moore and Brosnan all have a bit of a "pretty boy" look to them, which makes them appear more refined. Dalton just doesn't look like a guy who knows how to have a suit tailored, or which wine to select for dinner, or where to get the best caviar. Lazenby is somewhere in between the "pretty boy" and the "tough guy" category..

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
raj

« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2003, 03:10:22 PM »

The Cold War ended.  No more West vs. East  show downs (and I'm sick of the "evil druglord" villian).  We can't use Arab/Islamic terrorists, wouldn't be PC, and North Korea was just done.  So where are the good villians?

And the series should definitely stop trying to out do other movies with more explosions & killings, Bond's already had a fight in space (MoonRaker).

Once again it comes down to having a good story, and not relying on FX.
Dolph Lundgren
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2003, 04:03:32 PM »

Dean pretty much summed up what I was thinking completely.  Not really too much else to add, other than the fact that I like Brosnan the best, and I feel that the newer movies, while outrageous, are still good.

Goldeneye's my favorite, followed closely by On Her Majesty's Secret Service (which also happens to be one of the most controversial Bond movies as far as like/dislike).

Nick
Fearless Freep

« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2003, 05:49:21 PM »

The Bond Films of the 60s fit in with the culture of the 60s, with shows like "Mission Impossible" and "The Man from Uncle" when the cold war was very much on people's minds and the idea of clock-and-dagger spies was really cool.

But the politics and the culture's changed, and so did Bond.

The Bond of today, sorry to say for some of you, is *not* for the same people as the Connery Bond, they are meant for people who are young today.  It's a different audience in a different culture with different tastes.  Not good, not bad, just different.  If the feel of the 60's bond, or even the 80's bond, were kept today, it would just look silly.

=======================
Going places unmapped, to do things unplanned, to people unsuspecting
NEC
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2003, 05:52:22 PM »

<>

Actually - Diamonds Are Forever was supposed to be a direct sequel to On Her Majesty's Secret Service. And it was either Lazenby's manager or agent that turned down the role for him. He actually wanted to do it.

Flangepart

« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2003, 06:20:40 PM »

Liked Dalton, was a bit cold to Lazenby, Loved Sean, accapted Moore and Brosnan.
Sean had it all, to my mind. The wit to do a good line, and a killer smile, that was the cold smile of a killer, when push came to shove the bad guy out the window..
Too much reliance on Gadgets. Its how well Bond used them, that was key. Remember Little Nellie?
No, i think the changes in  culture are accepting of lesser quality heros. More brute, then brilliant, less style, more short tempered.
As for explosions....how are they going to top the latest one, with out blowing up the Earth?

"Aggressivlly eccentric, and proud of it!"
Fearless Freep

« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2003, 06:29:18 PM »

No, i think the changes in culture are accepting of lesser quality heros.

I wonder how many people said that about Connery as Bond in comparison  to,say...Roy Rogers?

=======================
Going places unmapped, to do things unplanned, to people unsuspecting
Pages: [1] 2
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Licence To Kill « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.