Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 20, 2024, 12:41:53 AM
714253 Posts in 53092 Topics by 7736 Members
Latest Member: ShayneGree
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Weekend Viewings « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Weekend Viewings  (Read 1487 times)
Mr_Vindictive
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

By Sword. By Pick. By Axe. Bye Bye.

« on: August 31, 2003, 08:08:38 PM »

I've had a pretty busy weekend full of films.  Finally got to see some films I've been looking for a while.

LOTR: Two Towers-I'm not into wizards and sorcery and that whole bit, but my wife is.  I disliked the Fellowship but the Two Towers was mildly entertaining.  Fantastic CGI, just not into the story.  2/5

Versus-YIPEE!  I've been hunting for this flick for a while and finally found it on DVD at my local Blockbuster.  Mix the following films to create the masterpiece Versus: 1 Cup Bad Taste(For Gross Out Comedy), 1 Cup Night Of The Living Dead(For Zombies), 1Pinch Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon (For Swordsplay), 1 Heaping Mound Of THE MATRIX (For all out Action, Stunts, and Leather).  This film follows two Japanese men who escape from jail in order to meet up with a crime gang.  They meet in the Forrest Of Ressurection.  Anyone who dies here comes back as a zombie.  One of the escaped men and the crime lord continue a war between good and evil that spans nearly two hours and never gets boring.  We have leather clad characters, sword fights, gun battles, zombies, gore, one liners, everything!  We also get some of the best bad guys I've ever seen in any film, period.  One stands out particually.  It is hinted at that he and another of the henchmen are romantically entangled, and his kick ass fighting, one liners, and facial expressions rule all!  A must see film for anyone who loves Japanese over the top cinema!  I will definently buy this one!

Bride Of Re-Animator-Bought this flick on DVD on Friday.  Having seen the original one numerous times, and having seen Beyond Re-Animator at the theater, this one was a sure buy.  Great film as well.  Herbert West, and Dan Cain continue their grisly experiments once again at Miskatonic.  Back is Dr. Hill's head, which has one of the funniest scenes in the film.  West and Cain decide to try to make new life by fusing body parts together to make the perfect woman.  As in the other two films, slaughter ensues.  Great flick, glad to have it in my collection.

Tales From The Crypt (1972)-This film used to scare the ever loving crap out of me as a kid.  Although not as scary today, it still provides great entertainment.  5 sinners are shown their pasts by an ominous crypt keeper.  One story follows a wife who killers her husband on Christmas Eve.  She is soon stalked by a killer dressed as Santa.  

Side Note: For all of you TFTC buffs, the Santa Slayer story also served as the pilot episode of the tv show.

The second story is about an unfaithful husband and a serious car wreck.  The third story is about a young man who drives a neighbor to suicide.  The forth is about a woman who wishes for money only to have her husband die, ala The Monkey's Paw.  The fifth story follows an army officer set to rule over a home for the blind.  His negligence leads to a tunnel with razor blades and a starving ravenous dog.  Fantastic.  By far one of the best anthology films ever made.  My wife usually hates films from the 70s and won't watch them, yet she was enthralled by this flick.

Flatliners-Having never liked Julia Roberts, I have shyed away from this one for years.  Having nothing else to do today, I decided to catch it on Showtime.  I'm glad I did.  A fantastic film about med students who try to kill themselves and revive themselves to see if there is anything after death.  Each one carries something horrific back from death.  Fantastic flick.  Will probably buy this one as well.

Pirahna-Having never seen a Joe Dante flick, I didn't know what to expect.  What I got was a standard nature run amok flick.  Worth it just to see the massacre.  The paper fish that were constantly shown were worth the watch as well.  I've also found that my 4 and a half month old daughter loves these nature run amok films.  She seemed so happy while watching this and Squirm recently.

Anyway, that was my weekend.  There is only one film that I missed this weekend that I wish I could have caught.  Faces Of Death 4 was playing at a local theater.  Having seen that one already, I figured it'd be great to see some exploitation at the theater.  Didn't make it to the midnight showing though.  Oh well.

A bald man named Savalas visited me last night in a dream.  I think it was a Telly vision.
Fearless Freep

« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2003, 08:23:26 PM »

Bride Of Re-Animator -

Liked this one.  Fairly silly horror fun. Jeffery Combs is better here than in "Doctor Mordrid"

Flatliners

*Really* liked this one.  Between this, "Dark City" and "Truth Or Consequences, NM", I'm starting to really like Keifer Sutherland in some of his lesser known stuff.

Not really a 'this weekend' thing, but I recently bought "Screamers" (Peter Weller on a planet with killer robots) and I just leave it in the VCR and catch it 10-30 minutes at a time as I'm drifting off.  After having seen it once before, I find the whole N.E.B/Alliance  back story even  more non-sensical than before...

=======================
Going places unmapped, to do things unplanned, to people unsuspecting
Scott

Hey, I'm in the situation room ! ! !

« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2003, 10:04:09 PM »

I seen TALES OF THE CRYPT on the big screen in the 70's and really liked it.

FLATLINERS was a neat idea and it wasn't bad as a film, so I rather liked it when I seen it, but never had any desire to see it again.

TRUTH OR CONSEQUENCES, NM sounds good maybe I'll check that one out soon. I like anthing about the Southwest or Mexico. Sutherland isn't bad, he's had good parts, but he dosn't have to be the lead character.

RE-ANIMATOR was a fun film. Hope to see the sequels sometime.

PIRANNA is that a Corman film? Never seen the whole thing. I think it takes place in a lake. Kind of a Jaws idea. A lot of beach screaming. I liked HUMANOIDS OF THE DEEP.

LORD OF THE RINGS - The first two are ok so far, nothing that greatly interested me, but I'll probably seen the last one when it comes out just to follow the story. My favorite part is the castle siege and the arrival of Elven Archers. I think it will be like Sinbad films or something of the fantasy film genre. I don't think it will become a classic  films. To me it's like watching the newer episodes of STAR WARS.

Fearless Freep

« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2003, 10:12:38 PM »

TRUTH OR CONSEQUENCES, NM sounds good maybe I'll check that one out soon./i]

Keifer plays the slightly mad leader of a gang of outlaws who end up killing some people and hiding out in New Mexico

I like anthing about the Southwest or Mexico.

I live in New Mexico (and have woken up in the hospital in TorC) and saw it when I happened to be travelling a lot and was homesick...Loved the scenery

Sutherland isn't bad, he's had good parts, but he dosn't have to be the lead character.

I liked him in Dark City because he wasn't the main lead and could be pretty quirky as a result.

=======================
Going places unmapped, to do things unplanned, to people unsuspecting
Scott

Hey, I'm in the situation room ! ! !

« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2003, 10:19:59 PM »

Yea a guy like Sutherland can add to a film. Not sure if he can carry a film.

I'd like to do a drive from Denver to Alberquerque to El Paso to San Antonio to Houston sometime. Spending alot of time in the Enchanted Circle part of New Mexico. Seeing as much as I could on a 10 day trip near those areas.

Dolph Lundgren
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2003, 11:22:14 PM »

I agree with you on Versus, Skaboi.  One of the best movies I've seen all year.  Just a perfect blend of action, ingenuity, kung fu, more action, some splatter, and even more action.  

I particularly liked the one bad guy's over-the-top performance.  Y'know, the one with the long hair who exaggerates everything.  Cool stuff there.  Everyone on this board should see this movie.

Nick
Mr_Vindictive

By Sword. By Pick. By Axe. Bye Bye.

« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2003, 07:47:11 AM »

Yeah, I was really taken aback by Versus.  I had read great stuff about it, but was still unsure what to expect.

I loved it and thought that it was the best action film I've seen so far this year.  My wife disliked it, but that is the case with most films with subtitles.  I watched it with both the english dubbing and the subtitled and I was amazed at how much the dialoge changed with each option.

A bald man named Savalas visited me last night in a dream.  I think it was a Telly vision.
JohnL

« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2003, 03:41:29 PM »

>The fifth story follows an army officer set to rule over a home for the blind. His >negligence leads to a tunnel with razor blades and a starving ravenous dog.

This story was remade as one of the TV show episodes, although slightly different.
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Weekend Viewings « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.