Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 08:21:16 PM
714349 Posts in 53094 Topics by 7741 Members
Latest Member: SashaHilly
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  The Lightsaber Fiasco(Please reply) « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: The Lightsaber Fiasco(Please reply)  (Read 2673 times)
K.J. Brock
« on: July 17, 2001, 03:13:08 PM »

Sorry , I know Star Wars is not a b-movie , but i dont know where else to turn.  

Remember when George Lucas added and "fixed" scenes from the original 3 films?  He not only turned Han into a contortionist (the Greedo scene), he didn't even fix the biggest mistake of all.  When Obi Wan is battling Darth in the hallway, his damn lightsaber turns into a metal rod!!! Its visible for at least 3 or 4 seconds.  As a kid that blew it for me.  How could his team overlook this twice!!!?????

Have seen this , I mean what is the deal? ( in full Seinfeld mode)
Gerry
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2001, 03:49:19 PM »

There's a lot of goofs that weren't fixed in the special edition, like when the opening door sticks and the storm trooper bangs his head.  The special editions were terrible, I must say.  No improvement whatsoever.
Squishy
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2001, 05:30:48 PM »

Well, they DID fix the awful cel animation of the figure walking across Jabba's ship in Return of the Jedi, but they also managed to completely screw up several other things (Luke screams in abject terror as he plunges down the Cloud City shaft now in The Empire Strikes Back, for example). The "fixed" and/or added special effects are mostly terrific--they should've completed that and left everything else alone.
Apostic
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2001, 10:57:52 PM »

I dunno.  The "entering Mos Eisley" sequence was a nice add.

But they also missed the out of sequence red robot cut in the droid sale scene.

regards,

Apostic
Flangepart
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2001, 10:44:12 AM »

I liked the addition of Biggs Darklighter to the First Spc. Ed. Now we know who Luke was talking to! The entering Mos Eisley was good, and the Falcon's blastoff, but the Greedo shoots first realy frosts my shorts! Like, we're not going to notice? AGhhhhhhh! Don't change the story unless you improve it! Oh....BTW....Kill Jar Jar! Did i mention CAMPCHAOS.COM? Good...cause Jar Jar blows up real good!
Hairzilla
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2001, 07:56:11 PM »

You've raised a VERY cool topic, K.J.! The original, UNtainted STAR WARS will probably always be my favorite movie! However, it also contains so many mistakes that, once you know where even a few of them are, you will start to view the film in an entirely different way. [A way that takes you dangerously close to the "B" side of the Force!] In addition to the scenes already mentioned, which were all great comments, and for the general viewing amusement of the SW fans hangin' out at the phorum, I offer just a few, additional galactic goofs. [Don't sweat it if you missed some of these, a few had to be pointed out to me too.] Get your "rewind" fingers ready....

During the opening segment, as the Stormtroopers discover, stun, and bring Princess Leia to daddy...er, to Darth Vader, there is one trooper that sports a subtle, but noticably different helmet design then the rest.

In the scene where Luke ["Poooooooooower converteeers!" Whiiiiiiiiine!]  and 'Threepio are standing in front of Luke's home and talking about the missing Artoo', the rope used to pull the little 'droid that passes in front of them can be easily seen in the sand.

Greedo was, apparently, not so fatally wounded as we've all been led to believe...As Luke, Ben, and the 'droids are making their way through Mos Eisley to the Millenium Falcon, GREEDO can be cleary seen in the background TAKING A WALK! Now, I wouldn't actually consider this an outright mistake if at least some, minimal effort was made to distinguish this as an entirely separate creature. But it's the EXACT SAME COSTUME.

Here's my personal favorite, non-annoying, screw up: During the 'Falcon's escape from Mos Eisley, if you keep your eye on the doorway behind where Han and Chewie sit, you will see SOME UNKNOWN GUY's shoulder briefly getting caught in the shot and then moving! It looks like it could possibly be Ben, which would make it even funnier since he'd just straped himself down seconds earlier!

With two actors actually portraying Darth Vader, one in the suit and the other doing the voiceover, there was bound to be at least one mistake in coordinating his movements with the dialoge. This is the only obvious one that I'm aware of, and it always makes me snicker: 'Vader and Grand Moff Tarkin are in that "meeting room" discussing our heroes' efforts to reach the Princess. At one point, clearly AFTER finishing his sentence, Vader THEN makes this menacing hand gesture for seemingly no apparent reason! [The "goofy" side of the Force in action, maybe?]

And lastly, here's what is, for me, the most annoying blunder in the entire film. When "Red Leader" gets shot down during the final assault on the Death Star, Luke mournfully looks out of his cockpit window to witness....a simple explosion occur on the Death Star's surface... NO actual crash is shown, and there is NOTHING to even suggest what had happened... it's JUST an explosion unto itself! AAGGHH!! IhateitIhateitIhateit!

And, as a final comment to add to your observations...HOW could this team have overlooked the fact that the snowspeeders in Empire' are SEE THROUGH during certain shots???

Don't need nothin' but a good,
                                                                                         Tokyo stompin' time!

HZ
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  The Lightsaber Fiasco(Please reply) « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.